slow renaming of folders on Win10

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: slow renaming of folders on Win10

Post by admin »

rudek wrote:I did try completely uninstalling XYPlorer and reinstalling it, no difference there. Except now I can not drag and drop files from and to XPlorer from/to Desktop. Drag and drop works fine from/to any other folder just not from Desktop. Totally weird.
That looks like a rights issue. Run as XYplorer as normal user, not as administrator, and the issue should go away. Note that this is caused by Windows UAC, not by XY.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rudek wrote:
admin wrote:This is not normal. Do you have any 3rd party software running that watches the file system?
Nothing comes to mind. I use Defender and Malwarebytes for protection. I did use Kaspersky until about 3 months ago but I had completely removed it. Apart from that, there should be nothing else. What 3rd party software did you have in mind, as a hint?
AV, custom themes, check your task manager...

rudek

Post by rudek »

admin wrote:
rudek wrote:I did try completely uninstalling XYPlorer and reinstalling it, no difference there. Except now I can not drag and drop files from and to XPlorer from/to Desktop. Drag and drop works fine from/to any other folder just not from Desktop. Totally weird.
That looks like a rights issue. Run as XYplorer as normal user, not as administrator, and the issue should go away. Note that this is caused by Windows UAC, not by XY.
I do run XY as a normal user...

rudek

Post by rudek »

admin wrote:
rudek wrote:
admin wrote:This is not normal. Do you have any 3rd party software running that watches the file system?
Nothing comes to mind. I use Defender and Malwarebytes for protection. I did use Kaspersky until about 3 months ago but I had completely removed it. Apart from that, there should be nothing else. What 3rd party software did you have in mind, as a hint?
AV, custom themes, check your task manager...
Nope, nothing there. I tried disabling Defender and Malwarebytes again, but as long as I leave Windows Search indexing service running, the issue persists.

I forgot to mention that I am on a I7 3GHz 16GB RAM machine, so it is unlikely that the computer slows down due to search indexing, plus the indexing was minimal when i detected the issue as indexing has been finished weeks ago. So I deleted the index file and restarted indexing 2 days ago, indexing is now finished, but the issue persists.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do those renamed folders contain a huge number of items?
Do you use XYplorer's tagging? (How many items have you tagged?)

rudek

Post by rudek »

admin wrote:Do those renamed folders contain a huge number of items?
No, they are new folders most of the time, thus they are empty
admin wrote:Do you use XYplorer's tagging? (How many items have you tagged?)
No, I do not use tagging at all.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is your recycle bin extremely full?

rudek

Post by rudek »

admin wrote:Is your recycle bin extremely full?
Not really. I had 105 items in the recycle bin, which I now deleted.
I do have success though in eliminating the issue: I usually have 20-30 tabs open in Chrome and that eats up quite a lot of memory. I now deinstalled standard Chrome and installed Chrome Canary. After testing with ~10 tabs open, the issue seems to be gone. I am not 100% sure this is a definitive solution, and will reopen this ticket if I see it again.
Thanks for your prompt support in any case :)

rudek

Post by rudek »

Hi all, I wanted to check with you if there is any visibility on a solution for the issue in this post? Meanwhile I run XYp 18.30 and the newest official Win10 updates. The slowness when renaming a new folder while XYp is running is still the same and still annoying. If you Google "Win10 slow opening a new folder" you will see dozens of forums debating the same issue and dozens of solutions - but none worked so far. Any ideas?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unfortunately not. I have never seen the problem here, so I can't really see what to fix. :|

rudek

Post by rudek »

ok, thanks for your quick reply, as always :)