Also strange thumb behavior

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
kunkel321

Also strange thumb behavior

Post by kunkel321 »

This looks like a different issue that the other thread, so I'm posting this as a separate thread.
I'm using Win 10. I started seeing the default app icon (rather than the ICO image) as soon as I set the default app for ICO files. (Now I don't see how to remove the default app... I guess there's probably a registry hack to do so?)

You can see in the image that the XY pane view doesn't matter, only the app icon is shown. I tried setting a different app as the default viewer. Didn't help. I tried View>Caches>Reset Thumbnails. Didn't help. Oddly, only ICO files with a 256x256 component seem to be effected. Smaller ICOs are rendering correctly.

Here's my settings:

I can try reverting to an older version of xyplorer, if that will be useful for testing.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

admin
Site Admin

Re: Also strange thumb behavior

Post by admin »

Looks like some Windows shell icon cache got confused. If restarting XY does not help then rebooting Windows will.

kunkel321

Re: Also strange thumb behavior

Post by kunkel321 »

Thanks for the quick reply Don! The Windows restart didn't help -- but I did confirm that this is not an "xy issue." (My bad for not checking before I posted.) In xplorer2, Total Commander, and Windows Explorer, I found similar problems. I tried the purging directions here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rebuild-i ... windows-10 then rebooting again, but that didn't help either. (Several of the files couldn't be deleted though, because they were in-use.) Interstingly, what did help, was adding particular Default Apps for the "ICO" file type. If the built-in Paint app is used, then the icons in List View are correct. (The thumbs are still blank at this point.) Having IrfanView as the default also seems to be okay.

An interesting, and possibly related, note is that I have Adobe Acrobat pinned to my Windows Taskbar. It was also showing that incorrect icon for RealWorld Icon Editor (though the other pinned apps were fine). The reboot did not help, but changing the ICO default to IrfanVeiw did also fix that problem. So.... A corruption in one of my icon editors?
ste(phen|ve) kunkel