Tiny Bug: 2+ Folder Selections to Branch View with Semicolons in a Folder Name

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Dustydog

Tiny Bug: 2+ Folder Selections to Branch View with Semicolons in a Folder Name

Post by Dustydog »

When you select 2+ folders then hit branch view it's a handy thing to do and saves time if you've got a lot of files in that directory; I love it - it's kind of like being able to click a + on multiple folders and have them expand into a separate space (only quicker). Great feature. If you haven't tried it, try it. That said....

There's a tiny bug that if there's a semicolon in a folder name when you select two or more folders and click branch view, it shows:
At least one of the search locations is currently not available:

<offending folderpath>

Click OK to continue the search anyway.
And then it does properly continue anyway, showing all folders selected for Branch View - except the one(s) with the semicolon.

Since I'm on the subject, I'm used to using <curfolder>, which in Branch View is the parent of all folders selected rather than the parent of the selected item. Other than wishing that it worked differently (?), is using <curitempath> and chopping the top off the most direct way around this to get the parent folder name? (I've got some renaming scripts based on the parent folder name that would be handy to apply from Branch View to multiple selections from different folders shown.)

[Little wish: Support a <curitempath-1>, <curitempath-2>, etc. syntax to select relative folders very simply back along a path; <curitempath-1> would, of course, be the parent folder.]

bdeshi

Re: Tiny Bug: 2+ Folder Selections to Branch View with Semicolons in a Folder Name

Post by bdeshi »

folders with ;
For the time being, you have to quote the semicoloned path: "path1 ; d'oh\";path 2\;path3\? /flat
Interestingly, the error only occurs if there is at least one space before and/or after the semicolon.

BV path
Dustydog wrote:is using <curitempath> and chopping the top off the most direct way around this to get the parent folder name?
Did you try <curpath>?
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Re: Tiny Bug: 2+ Folder Selections to Branch View with Semicolons in a Folder Name

Post by admin »

OK, bad idea to have semicolons in folder names. I'll try a fix anyway. :)

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

Well, I kind of agree with you.

But:

When trying to normalize some blasted, tangled classical-music filename from an album with multiple composers and works with movements and not being able to use a colon unless one gets into some alternative Unicode (I generally convert to ASCII - if I can't type it easily, I don't want the letter, however naked some look - you may keep your "ß"), and all the commas one can parse mentally are used up already - what's a guy going to do? That filename has got to be find-able, consistent, and clear. You blasted programmers and your hunger for punctuation.... ;)

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

SammaySarkar wrote:folders with ;
For the time being, you have to quote the semicoloned path: "path1 ; d'oh\";path 2\;path3\? /flat
Interestingly, the error only occurs if there is at least one space before and/or after the semicolon.

BV path
Dustydog wrote:is using <curitempath> and chopping the top off the most direct way around this to get the parent folder name?
Did you try <curpath>?
Yeah, if you're in Branch View, the <curpath> is the parent of the selected folders, rather than the parent of any files selected within that view. So scripts that use <curpath> don't work the way they would if you were to access the files in a more usual way. <curitempath>, however, resolves normally, albeit with a bit more information at the front of the path than desired.

Papoulka

Post by Papoulka »

I agree with DustyDog regarding semicolons in folder names. These are extremely useful in collections where several things matter for each item (his good example is classical music).

Another place where world practice differs from Windows best practice is in periods. Every music file I've got has a period somewhere in the filename itself. That's why having "filename only" e.g. in RegExp Rename would be so very helpful: then I could easily operate on patterns with periods without accidentally affecting or dropping the extension. It has been requested... just sayin'...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, that bug has been fixed so you can use your semicolons without fear. (But not every software might be as tolerant about them as XYplorer...)