Bug in deleting folders

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Stretto

Bug in deleting folders

Post by Stretto »

I upgraded to 17.70 from 17.40 and now I'm experiencing a strange bug.

When I delete a folder:

1. The line the folder was on in the tree view becomes blank with a folder like icon to the left. (as if it is holding the place of the old folder location). It didn't do this before.

2. Sometimes when I continue to delete The tree view becomes corrupt in that the drive I was using and anything below the drive disappears and only the drives and their contents before that drive are shown in the contents view.

Deleting used to work flawlessly except it would jump to the parent dir location in the tree which, for large directories, would would be inconvenient. Now it drums to the top of the tree and corrupts it. If I use the back key I can get back to the folder I used before deleting the next one and things will look right but that is inconvenient too.

It doesn't always do this, but it has been a regular occurrence since I've been using the latest version. I'm going to have to downgrade if this isn't fixed soon.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Bug in deleting folders

Post by admin »

Cannot reproduce.

Can you describe exactly how/where/what you delete?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good afternoon all,
I too can confirm this exact behavior on my "home" computer. I am not experiencing this on my "work" computer. Both workstations are Windows 10 x64, fully patched. I noticed this happening on my home computer after the last XY update. The only other (recent) difference between the two workstations is I removed ESET and MBAM and enabled Windows Defender on the home machine (where the issue is) and the work machine is running Symantec Endpoint.

When this happens, the entire tree on the left side becomes white (empty) and I am forced to restart XY to re-display the data (F5 or any other refresh does not correct the display). I can reproduce this on my home machine when deleting any folder, local or network, either pane (top or bottom) and from within the folder/file list or from the tree listing on the left. I am pretty sure I have the same options enabled for both workstations, as I like them to be the same.

I can do some specific testing (if needed) later this evening when I boot up my home machine (still a few hours of work left).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The first thing I need to know: Mini Tree or normal Tree?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

For me, normal tree. I have never used the Mini tree. I will test out some deletes using the Mini tree when I am off work and booted up on personal.

Stretto

Post by Stretto »

Same here, normal tree. Happens quite often. Didn't happen with version 17.40, so has started with whatever changes were made since then. It is surely a bug but I have no idea how to demonstrate it. Simply happens when I start deleting stuff(seems somewhat random, but the file icon that now appears, or is part of the bug, to a folder that was deleted seems to be part of it. Usually that happens then eventually after more deletes, things just go haywire). It's as if the tree indexing in the code was screwed up.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can you describe exactly how/where/what you delete?

What's your setting here:
Configuration | Tree and List | Tree | Select parent of deleted folder

Stretto

Post by Stretto »

I am just deleting files as I always have done. I find a folder or file I want to get rid of and I hit delete then I confirm. Note that if I hit the back button to move to the previous folder in the history, it restores the view. Just realize I am not doing anything out of the ordinary. I do have about 6 drives but, again, this is some bug that as happened since ver 17.40. So, I imagine the best place to look is there. It has to do with the tree view only and seems to be a bug in the display routine(as hitting the back button corrects it all, so it is not corruption)

The settings for parent are both selected.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, but that's not what I mean by "exact". You did not mention whether you do it in the tree or in the list, whether with mouse or keyboard, how many subfolders the parent has, which (position) of the subfolders you are deleting. Is it a normal path, a special path, a network path? Is the tree locked? Does it happen everytime, or only sometimes? What's your Windows version?

You see, I need every bit of info a can get. :)

Stretto

Post by Stretto »

I do it in the list view, doesn't matter how many of files or folders. It happens so often that it it seems like a very simple bug that has been introduced in to the tree view where the tree gets out of sync because of delete.

I know you are trying to find all the info to diagnose the bug to locate it but I feel the easiest thing to do is do a diff on the 17.40 version and the 17.70. Surely no such much as changed and most of the changes are completely independent of the treeview. This is a general bug IMO. It is not something specific. Why?

1. It worked in 17.40 and earlier without issues, nothing on my side has changed except I upgraded xyplorer. So it is not an issue with windows version on my end nor specific things I am doing as I haven't changed my behavior.

2. It is only a corruption of the view issue. (back button restores view properly and I can continue) and it is "random"(seems to get progressively worse but there seems to be no rhythm or reason. Not like if I delete the last folder it does it but works on every other delete. Obviously it is not random but seems like something is not updating properly.

I know this doesn't help much but, since it seems I'm not the only one with the problem, seems like the recent changes introduced a subtle bug that's probably going to be hard to track down... although, my bet is that it's in the code that displays the tree view(the enumeration part) or in the deletion part not updating the tree view properly any more(although I don't see how that would corrupt the tree view as it does but simply show the wrong results).

What I will do is try each version between 17.40 and 17.70(which means 17.50 and 17.60 or one of the minor release). That should narrow it down enough.

Doesn't seem like I can download old versions? ;/

https://www.xyplorer.com/whatsnew.php#current

I'll try and find some old version somewhere and put the pieces together.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Does it disappear when you just scroll the tree?

Old versions are here: https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php

Stretto

Post by Stretto »

Ok, So, I found 17.50 on the net before you mentioned the freezer, which didn't have 17.50 but had 17.50.0200. I thought they were probably the same. so I tried 17.60 and it had the problem. I decided to try the 17.50.0200 and it had the problem.

This is what happened:

I created several new folders several depths and simply started to delete them. The tree view then simply stop listing half the stuff it should. I didn't have anything expanded except what I was working on(auto expanded) so it was listing all the drives and only listed about 50%). I actually only listed up to the drive that I made those folders on and not including that drive.

I hit the back button and was able to get back to the folders I was deleting and tried to finish deleting them. What happened next was that the folder I deleted showed a "new file" icon(a paper like icon that most programs use to represent "new file") and the name of the folder I deleted was empty/bank.

When I hit the back button(use the side mouse button) it keeps that icon and blank line. If I use refresh(from the menu) it still shows it.

I then deleted the last folder I created and it did the same as what happened first(stop listing the drive I deleted the folder on and all the drives below it).

I then repeated the process for 17.50 and no issues what so ever.

So, I'm pretty sure the problem lies somewhere between 17.50 and 17.50.0200. So that should narrow it down quite a bit.

My guess is the problem could lie with the

Support of Filenames Ending With Dot or Space

feature if that occurred in 17.50.0200. Seems like that could potentially corrupt the tree.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I cannot reproduce it. :|

Stretto

Post by Stretto »

Ok, So I thought it wasn't in 17.50 but it just did it after deleting some folders. First only showed a few of the drives, but not the one I deleted from and 2 above that. When I went back, it showed all the drives up to and including the drive I deleted from but nothing afterwards. (although it didn't show the file icon thing and blank folder icon like generally it does, but that is probably just coincidence).

My original hunch was that the bug probably was in `Support of Filenames Ending With Dot or Space` since that obviously is messing with the file system in some way but since I didn't get the bug using 17.50 I wrote it off. I'm going to install 17.40.0200 and use that for a few days and see if I have the problem. I don't recall if I was using 17.40 or 17.40.0200.

I'll try to use it extensively and report back in a few days. If, hypothetically, the bug is in that feature(or some other feature), how can we solve it? will you be able to compile a binary with reverted enhancements? Make the feature 'optional'? Just curious.

Thanks..

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »