"Refresh Thumbnails" results corrupted thumbnails with a directory with a huge list

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
jleeca

"Refresh Thumbnails" results corrupted thumbnails with a directory with a huge list

Post by jleeca »

"Refresh Thumbnails" results corrupted thumbnails with a directory with a huge list.

Steps reproduce
1. Have a directories with large number of directories. (34051 directories in my case)
2. Put a jpg file in each sub directories
3. Enable [v] Show folder thumbnails option
4. Set Thumbnails width & Height to 300 x 200 for Size #3
5. Select List view to "Thumbnails #3 (300 x 200)
6. View | Caches | Refresh Thumbnails

Expected results
A thumbnail cache for all files should be created successfully and then all thumbnails shall be loaded from the cache when xyplorer is restarted.

Issue
- Although thumbnail caches get created successfully for about the half of the items, thumbnails start to get corrupted (see picture attached) starting from the beginning of already created thumbnails when refreshing thumbnails approaches to end of list.
- Upon restarting the xyplorer, thumbnail cache file (xxx.dbits file) is reset to zero byte and xyplorer does't load any thumbnail caches. Note I'm not sure when is the exact moment that the cache file gets reset to zero size.

Notes
- It may not directly related to size of thumbnails or may not only happen with Folder thumbnails. Rather it may be a general issue with any thumbnails.
- The Issue may be related to a wrong index with cache thumbnails file or maybe related to the max size of cache file. My guess is because the thumbnails starting from the beginning start to get corrupted after a certain number of thumbnails are created. It looks like no more new thumbnails can be created without invalidating already created thumbnails.
- I can try a beta version or debug build to further troubleshoot or confirm a fix
Attachments
xyplorer-tunmbnail-corrupted.jpg
xyplorer-tunmbnail-corrupted.jpg (54.24 KiB) Viewed 1844 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: "Refresh Thumbnails" results corrupted thumbnails with a directory with a huge list

Post by admin »

Yes, you are simply going beyond the limits of the cache architecture here (max = 32767 items).

A agree this should be handled wth more grace. However, it's a harder fix than the scrollbar fix -- it will take some time.

Thanks!

jleeca

Re: "Refresh Thumbnails" results corrupted thumbnails with a directory with a huge list

Post by jleeca »

Is there any progress in fixing this bug?

I now have 36103 items in the same directory and found I cannot even chdir to any of sub-directories due to the "Error 9" (attached). Once this happens, nothing works with xyplorer, so I have to kill it using Task Manager. I really wish the issue is addressed so I can start to use the program again.
Attachments
xyploror-error-9.jpg
xyploror-error-9.jpg (37.3 KiB) Viewed 1800 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not yet. This one needs time.

This error 9 is also related to thumbnails?

jleeca

Post by jleeca »

I still get the same error even after switching the view to details. So I suspect it's something to do with indexing but probably not related to thumbnails.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I cannot reproduce the error. It comes when you do exactly what?

jleeca

Post by jleeca »

Nothing special.

I just had to change to a directory which has 36,102 items. Then double click any one of directories from it. The view doesn't matter as I see the problem with any views. However it looks like the key to reproduce the issue is to use a mouse to double click a directory from a huge list. If I select a directory with <Enter> key then it works okay.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Still cannot reproduce, there must be some other factor. I'm watching it.

jleeca

Post by jleeca »

As you stated that you cannot reproduce the issue, I just downloaded and tried the latest beta, which is 17.70.0208 and I can confirm that the "error 9" issue is fixed with the latest beta patch. BTW, I was running 17.70.0100 beta version before. Thanks for the fix. I now wish that the original thumbnails corrupting issue with a huge list is fixed soon.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

So did you expect a fix to magically appear in your installation of 17.70.0100 without anything being done on your end???
Fixes or even fixing attempts for bugs are implemented in the newest beta versions only, so keep an eye on the beta versions and install them if they include a fix for one of your problems.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

jleeca

Post by jleeca »

So did you expect a fix to magically appear in your installation of 17.70.0100 without anything being done on your end???
Ralph, NO, I didn't expect this issue was addressed in the 17.70.0100 beta build. I only had to install the 17.70.0100 beta as there's another bug (scroll index issue) that I reported was addressed in later beta builds. So please don't assume that you know why someone else did something.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Well, sorry for the assumption then but that's how I read your post.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The issue should be fixed in the next version. Test cache with 40,000 images created without problems. Could even speed things up. :D

jleeca

Post by jleeca »

Great news!
Thank you!