Duplicate mnemonics

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
kinook

Duplicate mnemonics

Post by kinook »

Favorites menu

Toggle Favorite Folder
Manage Favorite Folders

Toggle Favorite File
Manage Favorite Files

admin
Site Admin

Re: Duplicate mnemonics

Post by admin »

I would not call this a bug. Often it cannot be avoided (not enough letters in the alphabet), and Windows handles it gracefully: it cycles between the dupes.

In this particular case I could have get rid of the dupes with some juggling of mnemonics, but I intentionally created dupes to make use of the cycling mentioned above. It's easier to remember and just one more key press if you want the second function.

kinook

Post by kinook »

Are the menus user-editable? I definitely prefer keeping them unique because of the changing behavior with duplicates (instead of pressing single letter, have to press it multiple times and observe when the correct one is selected, then press Enter). And not every item needs a mnemonic if there aren't enough letters.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, all captions in XYplorer are fully user-editable.

It's easy when you use a non-English interface language: just select Help | Interface Translation Tool and modify the strings.

It's harder when you use English: then you have to fake it. You download the latest "Reference_*.lng" from this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9648 , and... *somehow* load it as foreign language... damn, currently no time to document the steps... maybe you find out yourself or somebody helps.

But there is a catch: You will have to do this again whenever a new MLS version is published. So, maybe it's not worth it anyway.

highend

Post by highend »

But even if you have to redo these modification each time the language reference file is updated,
they could be automated / scripted. All four entries are easily identifiable for search and replace
operations (one should not forget, that their position could change at any time in a new reference file)...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal