Bug or Feature: Search/Replace Rename for Xx --> XX won't work with odd number of X's

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Jerry

Bug or Feature: Search/Replace Rename for Xx --> XX won't work with odd number of X's

Post by Jerry »

When there are an odd number of the same letter in a row, with all but the last letter uppercase, search and replace of "Xx" to "XX" does not change the last lowercase character. For example using the expression "Xx/XX" in Rename Special > Search and Replace,
  • XXx-abx.txt does not change at all
    XXx-Xx-abx.txt changes to XXx-XX-ab.txt instead of XXX-XX-abx.txt
    XXXx-abx.txt changes to XXXX-abx.txt [ok]
    XXXXx-abx.txt does not change at all
    XXxxx-abx.txt changes to XXXXx-abx.txt instead of XXXXX-abx.txt
So if this is a feature and not a bug, I have to do one rename of Xx/XX for even counts and XXx/XXX for the odd counts?

[Using 17.50.0218]
Last edited by Jerry on 17 Feb 2017 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Bug or Feature: Search/Replace Rename for Xx --> XX won't work with odd number of X's

Post by admin »

Confirmed! Fascinating!! :ugeek: Going to work... :cup:

Gandolf

Re: Bug or Feature: Search/Replace Rename for Xx --> XX won't work with odd number of X's

Post by Gandolf »

I don't totally agree with the last example.

I think that XXxxx-abx.txt should change to XXXxx-abx.txt, unless you are talking about a recursive replace.

I'm not on a system that will run XY at the moment so can't read the help file to see if the function is recursive by default.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not as fascinating as I thought but simply a user error. For this to work the replacement should be case-sensitive!

It's done with a switch like this:

Code: Select all

Xx/XX /c
And Gandolf is right, XXxxx-abx.txt is renamed to XXXxx-abx.txt. All others end up with all capital Xs.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Gandolf wrote:I think that XXxxx-abx.txt should change to XXXxx-abx.txt, unless you are talking about a recursive replace.
Actually, I think I agree with you on that; not sure why I included that example.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

admin wrote:All others end up with all capital Xs.
Without the /c switch, right?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, with the switch.
Attachments
2017-02-17_163944.png
2017-02-17_163944.png (10.17 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Are you saying there is no bug here afterall?

highend

Post by highend »

There isn't.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Ok, I guess the rule to remember here is that the string matching proceeds from left to right with no overlapping. So the "Xx" matches the first XX, takes those 2 characters out of consideration for further matching and moves along. This is also the way Notepad does its case-insensitive search and replace too.

But it does seems surprising initially to see the string "Xx" appear in a name and find that the basic case-insensitive search and replace may not work on it, if that string does not appear in isolation from other "X's". Understandable, but surprising.

Case closed.