XYplorer messing with registry?

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
stevefrye

XYplorer messing with registry?

Post by stevefrye »

I just received a notice from Acronis TrueImage active protection saying that XYplorer tried to modify an Acronis registry entry.

Why would XYplorer try to do that? I'm using XYplorer 17.00.0200 on a Win8.1 system.

Steve

highend

Re: XYplorer messing with registry?

Post by highend »

And which registry entry was that?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Use SysInternals "ProcMon", filter to xyplorer.exe and registry changes only, and see what shows up.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

XYplorer only changes the registry when you actively change any settings in this section (and it's clearly stated there):
Configuration | Shell Integration | Default File Manager

After all it's one of XYplorer's top claims that it's 100% stealth and does not change the registry or the system. So you can really relax about that.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Don, I 'm afraid this is not accurate. I too ran ProcMon and began watching XYplorer.exe. I've been chasing random hourglass things for a long time, and have never solved these hang problems. I'm sure my issues are not registry related, more likely network related, as I do a *LOT* of LAN based file management.

However, my observation seems to suggest XY is doing more with the registry than your comment indicates, as I do NOT have any settings selected under the "Default File Manager" section as you mentioned, yet, I am getting a lot of registry activity with XY, see the screenshot attached.
Attachments
XYplorer_registry.png
XYplorer_registry.png (479.54 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What are you doing when this happens?

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

More on this.... It seems every time I switch panes or select a different file type, I'm getting more reg queries. See new screen capture below.

My left pane in this example is a folder on local hard drive with some audio files and a text file. The right pane is a network mapped drive letter, with folders of audio files. The screenshot here shows not only a reference to the mapped folder location in the right pane, but ALSO to a different mapped drive letter in another tab, which is not foreground focused, it's a tab in the right pane that is background. The right pane foreground is my S drive (share name Drobo_S) and there's registry activity here for the MP3 share that's in another tab.

Seems there's a good bit of registry activity associated with file extensions, timezones (file handling?) and some DWM things too. For reference, I am running Windows 10 64-bit.
Attachments
XYplorer_registry2.png
XYplorer_registry2.png (477.54 KiB) Viewed 1221 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I'm seeing this as well here with Process Monitor. I think it's neglectable. It's some implicit activity, no idea what it is, certainly nothing XYplorer does actively as I already said before.

highend

Post by highend »

What has this querying registry noise to do with actively changing / creating specific key/value pairs (what the OP was talking about)?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Agreed (re: neglectable), I've been using XY for years and haven't experienced anything untoward. However, it certainly is a lot of activity within a short duration, and ideally, eliminating or even reducing this activity certainly would be a good thing. Seems the vast majority are queries or enums, not writes (that's good). Maybe there are some optimizations yet undiscovered which would lead to fewer registry queries. maybe with file type associations or network share references or rainbow-pooping unicorns :)

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

highend wrote:What has this querying registry noise to do with actively changing / creating specific key/value pairs (what the OP was talking about)?
Indeed, it's largely queries/enums... but still chaff nonetheless. seems an awful lot of redundant queries which may potentially be optimised?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's background noise. The sound of Windows. I have no access to these vibes. It's OS weather. Bit radiation. Byte rays.