PDF Preview Not Working, Other Files OK

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
kevin

PDF Preview Not Working, Other Files OK

Post by kevin »

Hi XYPlorer Users,
My Preview Pane displays all file types OK other than .pdfs, shows a message "Cannot Preview" and nothing else. I noticed recently with version 17.4 and just updated to 17.5 with same results. Can't seem to find a setting or any reference to this in help but must be something simple if other file types preview OK.
Thanks in advance for any ideas to try!
Kevin

highend

Re: PDF Preview Not Working, Other Files OK

Post by highend »

Welcome to the forum

XY relies on a 32-bit preview handler. If your pdf software doesn't install one -> No preview.
E.g. Adobe Acrobot doesn't do that

Post a screenshot from executing this one-liner script:

Code: Select all

text get("previewhandler", "pdf");
Installing PDF-XChange Editor is normally a viable solution...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

kevin

Post by kevin »

Hello Highend,
Thanks very much for your quick response, I'll download that from Tracker software and give it a try. Funny I could preview pdfs in the past but I haven't had the preview window open in a good while until tried to sort through a gob of pdf files today. I have the same pdf software installed as before, Acrobat Reader and NitroPDF 9, so something changed in my computer's pdf world but I don't know what or why.
Would be good to not have to install another pdf software but if it's a free version and behaves itself then I'll do it, that XYPlorer pdf preview is damn handy when I need it, I must say.
Thanks Again! Kevin

pat55

Post by pat55 »

Hi Kevin,
I have the same unresolved problem.
I can preview in M$ but not in XY - welcome to the club.
pat

kevin

Re: PDF Preview Not Working After Install of PDF Exchange

Post by kevin »

Hi Highend,
I finally installed the PDF Exchange software but still don't see any pdfs in the preview pane. I don't see any settings in the software related to viewing, any recommendation or setting that you know of? Would be handy to have, the image file pop-up viewer is great to have and something similar for pdfs would be great.
Thanks, Kevin

highend

Post by highend »

I finally installed the PDF Exchange software
And which file / version did you download & installed exactly?

https://www.tracker-software.com/produc ... nge-editor
Which version did you select in the drop-down field (left one)?

kevin

Re: PDF Preview Not Working, PDF-XChange Printer

Post by kevin »

Hi Highend,
Yes I should have been more specific, I installed PDF-XChange Printer Lite V6 . . . . maybe the free version is not going to do it, perhaps it requires the paid version?
Thanks, Kevin

highend

Post by highend »

No, it doesn't. Read my last post again and answer the lower part of it...

kevin

Re: PDF Preview Not Working, PDFs Preview Now

Post by kevin »

Good Morning Highend,

OK I installed the Editor version using the .msi installer and now the pdfs show perfectly in the preview pane -- thanks for that, it was a bit confusing as there is a free basic PDFExchange version and a free (non-license) version of the Editor. I wonder why this isn't included by default in the XYplorer installation, doesn't everybody want this feature?

Thanks for turning me onto that software, I'm trialing the Pro version now and it looks very good. I have NitroPDF but time to upgrade so maybe I'll switch to PDFExchange -- seems like same features and it's much less expensive than NitroPDF, and heck I don't have any software from Vancouver Island BC Canada so why not!

Thanks again for your assistance, Best Regards, Kevin

highend

Post by highend »

I wonder why this isn't included by default in the XYplorer installation, doesn't everybody want this feature?
Do you mean PDF preview? XY relies on what preview handlers are installed, otherwise every one of them would need
to be recreated from scratch. Why reinvent the wheel...

gregjohnsondsm

Post by gregjohnsondsm »

My PDF preview pane has also stopped working after XYplorer upgrade. Not sure if it is related. But I have tried the various items listed here except for installing the different previewer. My question is that what XYplorer thinks is the PDF previewer is different than the Configuration indications.
This "text get("previewhandler", "pdf");" shows the acrobat previewer and the Config file shows Foxit.
Anyway whatever is messed up keeps me from previewing any PDF's. Not good.
Attachments
2018-08-02_102818.jpg
2018-08-02_102818.jpg (29.49 KiB) Viewed 3931 times
2018-08-02_102920.jpg
2018-08-02_102920.jpg (13.11 KiB) Viewed 3931 times

jupe

Post by jupe »

A previewer can be different than the associated application, and usually is. And the only thing you say you haven't tried is what would fix it for you. There are many threads on the forum about this. Adobe preview handler is buggy, if you install a different preview handler but don't use is as a default application you will notice no difference except for the preview pane working, and you can leave Foxit as the default application for opening pdfs.

So that is how to solve your problem, more information :

https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=PDFpreview