Incredible slow startup (up to 4 minutes)

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
tim

Incredible slow startup (up to 4 minutes)

Post by tim »

Hello! I have been experiencing slow startup since I started to use XY. But today it was starting about 4 minutes actively using hard drive. What's the trick?

highend

Re: Incredible slow startup (up to 4 minutes)

Post by highend »

The trick is to provide valuable information^^

Menu Help - Hold the left CTRL key while left clicking on "Various Information"
Screenshot it

XY's process is excluded inside your Antivirus / Antimalware solution(s)?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

m48tx

Post by m48tx »

Obviously I have no idea if this is your situation, but there is one situation where XY can take a very long time to start up.

I use Copiaris from Moon Software to backup files to a USB 3.0 flash drive. If I start a Copiaris backup and it gets to the point where it is copying a 10GB database file and I happen to start XY, XY will "hang" until that 10GB file copy is complete (which can take several minutes). Windows file manager and Directory Opus will start instantly regardless. Not sure what XY is doing, but I just plan around this situation by starting XY before the backup.

tim

Post by tim »

highend wrote:The trick is to provide valuable information^^
Menu Help - Hold the left CTRL key while left clicking on "Various Information"
Screenshot it
Yeah :) Here it is:
I see suggested cause is Antivirus scanner. But I did add XY executable to exclusions. At least in my main AV.

highend

Post by highend »

Ok,
Show how you excluded XY in your "primary" AV.
And your secondary one? Which software is that, does it run side by side with your first? Is XY excluded there as well?

With which folder is XY starting in the active pane? One on a network? One that displays thousands of files, thumbnails, anything else?

2400 paths in the minitree, wtf?

Show the output of:

Code: Select all

text <get loadtimes>, 800, 680;
executed e.g. from the address bar

Configuration | Startup & Exit | No network browsing on startup
Checkmark that option, save settings

Start it again, is it faster? If yes, how much faster?

tim

Post by tim »

highend wrote:Ok,
Show how you excluded XY in your "primary" AV.
And your secondary one? Which software is that, does it run side by side with your first? Is XY excluded there as well?
I mean main is that which I installed manually. There are default AVs like Windows Defender. I meant them.
As for how I did it in main AV. So there is Exclusions section in Settings. One can put any file here to exclude it from scanning.
highend wrote:With which folder is XY starting in the active pane? One on a network? One that displays thousands of files, thumbnails, anything else?
Ordinary folders. Nothing special. Not too big I think — up to 200 items right now. Most have list view. No network folders at all. I have shortcuts for network folders in Catalog (if it makes any sense).
highend wrote:2400 paths in the minitree, wtf?
:eh: I don't use Mini Tree at all. Is it bad?
highend wrote:Show the output of:

Code: Select all

text <get loadtimes>, 800, 680;
executed e.g. from the address bar
highend wrote:Configuration | Startup & Exit | No network browsing on startup
Checkmark that option, save settings

Start it again, is it faster? If yes, how much faster?
Ok, I've done it.
It uses hard drive like hell.
Last edited by tim on 04 Feb 2017 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

tim

Post by tim »

m48tx wrote:Obviously I have no idea if this is your situation, but there is one situation where XY can take a very long time to start up.

I use Copiaris from Moon Software to backup files to a USB 3.0 flash drive. If I start a Copiaris backup and it gets to the point where it is copying a 10GB database file and I happen to start XY, XY will "hang" until that 10GB file copy is complete (which can take several minutes). Windows file manager and Directory Opus will start instantly regardless. Not sure what XY is doing, but I just plan around this situation by starting XY before the backup.
Thank you for participating :) My XY starts slowly every time for the time being. I don't use Copiaris.

tim

Post by tim »

I've just looked to Windows Defender in my system. It says that it is turned off because of other AV installed in system (that one which has XY in exclusions). Sooo, I think everything is fine here on AV's front. Maybe some other systems in Windows can affect?

tim

Post by tim »

I did some investigations and found out that XY actively reads file which belongs to Resilio Sync application (it synchronizes files between devices). Well, I uninstalled this app to see. Then I deleted all those 2000+ MiniTree paths in XY's ini file. And... wow :ninja:
Holy 554 milliseconds! Such a fast startup I haven't seen for a long time.

And furthermore, it looks like the other annoying problem I have been experiencing for a long time has been solved too :o

I think those numerous MiniTree paths stored in my ini file (I didn't even know about it) did dramatically affect on startup speed. Damn. So much time has passed and I finally found it? Wow.

Now: How to turn off storing those paths? :|

highend

Post by highend »

Disable Configuration | Tree and List | Tree | Remember state of tree?
Don't save the settings any more?
Use a locked mini tree?

tim

Post by tim »

Disable Configuration | Tree and List | Tree | Remember state of tree?
As you can see on my screenshots it was disabled already.
Don't save the settings any more?
Really?
Use a locked mini tree?
How's that? I don't use a tree or any other tree in XY at all, so pardon my ignorance in this.

I don't know but I think it can be considered as a bug. What does XY do there with those paths, reads all of them right on a startup? And when USB-storage devices connecting?

highend

Post by highend »

I don't use a tree or any other tree in XY at all, so pardon my ignorance in this.
No problem. At least you were using an unlocked minitree (visible or hidden doesn't matter in this case!) in
the past, otherwise the "MiniTreePaths" key would have been empty. But I already wasted too much
time here anyway. So, good luck!