Problems with Icon overlays

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
RichardSchaefer

Problems with Icon overlays

Post by RichardSchaefer »

I'm using version 14.70.0100 of XYplorer and I've noticed that icon overlays for symlinks are not displaying. Icon overlays for junctions display correctly, but not symbolic links. I use Hard Link Extension version 3.8.6.8 by Schinagl for creating hard links and junctions, but the Hard Link Extension item, "Pick Link Source", is not displayed when I right click a file or a folder. Hard Link works correctly with Windows Explorer and Explorer displays the symbolic link overlay on file icons and also displays the "Pick Link Source" option on file and folder items, but XYplorer does not. I do have the XYplorer configuration item to display icon overlays enabled. Can you please provide information on this. I am using Windows 10 version 1607 and I've noticed some software idiosyncrasies with build 14393 with other software packages. I hope XYplorer and/or Hard Link Extension are not effected by this build.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with Icon overlays

Post by admin »

Seems to work fine in the current version. But I don't remember that this ever did not work, so there might be something else causing this. Please upgrade to the latest version and report back, thanks.

RichardSchaefer

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I downloaded version 17.40.107 and the problem still exists. However, I checked my history on this issue and I had the same issue 3 and 1/2 years ago in June, 2013 with Windows 7. I resolved the issue by installing the 32 bit version of Link Shell Extension on my 64 bit Windows 7 Pro. I will attempt the same thing now with version 17.40.107 of XYplorer. Can this be looked into or is it too minor of a problem to bother with since the 32 bit version of Hard Shell Extension works. I tend to install the 64 bit flavor of software on my systems and the systems I work on so I naturally install 64 bit Hard Shell Extension as well as all other software. (I know XYplorer is 32 bit, but that's okay.) with XYplorer, junctions show up okay in both the tree and list, but symlinks icon overlays don't show in the list and neither do the Links property pages show when a known symlink is right clicked. I'll let you know if the 32 bit version of Hard Shell Extension resolves the problem.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You will probably get the command to work if you use the 64-bit context menu, for example by ticking this:
Configuration | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Show the 64-bit context menu

However, to these those overlays installing the 32 bit version of Link Shell Extension is probably the only possible way.

RichardSchaefer

Using the XYplorer 64 bit context menu breaks Hard Shell Extensions. Instead of the context menu providing an entry to "Select Link Source", it goes directly to "Drop Here". In Hard Shell Extensions, creating a hard link is a 2 step process of 1) selecting the source file or folder and then 2) dropping the junction or link to a destination folder. XYplorer 64 bit context menu goes directly to the drop link operation without letting you select a source and, if drop link is selected, the operation fails with a Hard Shell Extension error. Select Link Source is never displayed as an option in the XYplorer 64 bit context menu so of course the drop link operation fails since no source was selected..

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, the question now is why you use this extension at all. Creating hard links is built into XYplorer, and works easier and faster than your way. No need for 3rd party.

RichardSchaefer

I was not aware of that. I will have to look into using XYplorer to create hard links. Will XYplorer display symlinks correctly if they are created with XYplorer? I would think it will not make a difference concerning which program creates the hard links. The symlink icon overlays will probably still not display.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you have a screenshot of that icon overlay?

RichardSchaefer

I have been using hardlinks and symlinks interchangeably when they are not. Windows actually uses hardlinks in their System32 and SysWOW64 folders. I should have realized that because if I modify a file in one of those folders, it creates a new modified file and is no longer a link. I do a lot of work with .mof files that reside in WBEM in those folders. when I link a folder I use a junction. When I link a file, I use a symlink.

I'm attaching a screenshot of part of the SysWOW64 folder with Windows Explorer and with XYplorer. Both images show the same files/hardlinks. I hope I can get the images attached to this post. It appears that they are attached. I hope this is what you were asking for. If not, please let me know.

XYplorer:
SysWOW64 XYplorer.jpg
SysWOW64 XYplorer.jpg (78.5 KiB) Viewed 8248 times
Windows Explorer:
SysWOW64 Windows Explorer.jpg
SysWOW64 Windows Explorer.jpg (58.62 KiB) Viewed 8248 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Note that a hard link is a property of a file. Each file has at least one hard link. It's the link between the file name and the file contents. In NTFS files can have more than one hard link, i.e. more than one name.

So, an arrow overlay does not make much sense for hard links. But it does make sense for symbolic links.

In XY you get an arrow overlay for symbolic links.
And XY lets you color code files with more than one hard link:

Code: Select all

prop:#HardLinks: > 1
There is also a Special Property column that will show the number of hard links for each file.

RichardSchaefer

XYplorer used to display the hardlink icon overlays correctly just like windows Explorer does and I'm positive it used to display the link properties page correctly. This is a fairly recent issue. I've noticed there was an issue with the icon overlays for some time, but i'm not exactly sure when since I haven't been working much with .mof files recently. Most WMI .mof files in WBEM folders are hardlinks also so I need to know whether I can modify a file if it is an actual file or not modify if it is a hardlink. I'm not sure but I may be able to resolve this issue for me by loading the 32 bit version of Hard Shell Extensions. I'll let you know. I'll try over the weekend.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ensure this is ticked:
Configuration | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | Show icon overlays

RichardSchaefer

Yes, icon overlays is ticked.

RichardSchaefer

Admin, Link Shell Extensions x86 will not install on Windows 10 version 1607 64 bit so I can't try the 32 bit version. I don't know whether this is caused by Windows 10 or the Link Shell Extension (LSE) software. I get a message to install the proper version when I execute the install package. That was the solution I used in June, 2013 when I experienced the issue with Windows 7. The LSE web site states it installs 32 and 64 bit versions in parallel "to satisfy third party filemanagers/explorers like total commander", but I don't know how to configure the software to use the 32 bit version. The 32 bit version files are in the Windows installation folder. It appears this is a know issue to LSE. I'll keep poking around and hopefully get the 32 bit version working.

RichardSchaefer

Hey Admin, I'm finally getting back to this issue after a truly insane month. My wife had a minor heart attack on Christmas night and spent a few nights in the hospital. Last night one of our two cats had to be put down after a major circulation problem and congestive heart failure. One thing after another. My wife is doing fine.

I am going to follow up with the author of Link Shell Extensions about the installation of the x86 flavor of the software on 64 bit Windows. As I stated previously, the x86 version installer errors out on a 64 bit system. However, the installation instructions for x64 version of Link Shell Extensions states that both 86 bit and 64 bit software are installed on a 64 bit system. Maybe they can tell me how to enable the x86 version.