Problems with Icon overlays

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
RichardSchaefer

Re: Problems with Icon overlays

Post by RichardSchaefer »

Admin, I changed XYplorer parameters to display the 64 bit context menu and the display of the files in a folder does not show the icon overly, but when I right click and display properties, the icon overlay is present on the properties page and the Link Properties page is also present and appears to display correct link information.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

FYI, that Properties page is owned by the shell so I assume it has access to the 64bit shell extension.

RichardSchaefer

Yes, I just can't figure out why it cannot display the icon overlays in the list view if it has access to the 64bit shell extension and it can display the overlay on the properties page. I'll keep you posted if Link Shell Extension people have any suggestions.

RichardSchaefer

Admin, I've communicated with the author of Hard Shell Extensions and my issue was also found by him a few days ago. 32 bit explorer can't display icon overlays because of an issue in his software. He will attempt to fix in the near future. I'll keep you posted.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cool, thanks!

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

(adding to this thread since it's related to Icon Overlays -- sorry if it should have been its own topic)...

I recently updated my XY to the latest version (after not updating for a month or two). I'm not sure if it's related, but I now notice that my Tortoise SVN overlays are not accurate any more. The right files are getting overlays (i.e. files that are versioned are getting them, and files that are not versioned are not getting them), but the icons aren't accurate. For a modified file, instead of showing the exclamation mark in a red circle (which indicates modified), they show a checkmark in a green circle (indicating that it's up to date).

When I open an Explorer window, the icons display properly.

I created a new directory, copied the latest XY beta noinstall files into it, and started it (totally vanilla). Turned on icon overlays, and saw the same issue (so I'm inclined to believe it's not one of my settings for my existing XY).

Windows 7 Pro x64, XY 17.50.0201

Any idea why things would have changed?

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I did not touch any of this for a long time. I think if you countercheck with an older version from the freezer (https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php) you will find that there is no difference in behavior.

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

Strange -- you are correct that older versions still exhibit the same problem (which they didn't before).

Any idea why Explorer would show the correct icon overlay, but XY doesn't? Also, any ideas on how to reset it so it works again?

Thanks for the quick reply!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You might get some ideas here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16904

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

AHA! That did it! I had searched and re-ordered the TortoiseSVN overlays in the regular section, but wasn't aware of the WOW6432node fix -- that's what it was!

Thanks!

andy

RichardSchaefer

avsfan, glad to read you got your problem resolved.

admin, I've asked the author when to expect a new release of Hard Shell Extensions, but did not receive an answer yet

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

FYI: Windows has this really stupid, low limit on the number of active icon overlays - I seem to recall it's eleven for 64-bit Windows 10.

Hardlink Shell Extension, which can use overlays, and I see you've mentioned (I have no idea what his software is doing that interferes here, other than taking some slots - your comment's pretty old, though), has a good description of how to prioritize which overlays you want active (OneDrive is an overlay pig). The Following instructions are towards the bottom of the page (about 4/5ths down in the QA Section). (The whole thing's worth reading if you're unclear about advanced link types - plus it's a great tool, even if it is a Win File Manager extension..)

http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... nsion.html

Here's that quote from the instructions:

Q: The overlay icons do not show up

A: The number of different icon overlay handlers that the system can support is limited by the amount of space available for icon overlays in the system image list. There are currently fifteen slots allotted for icon overlays, some of which are reserved by the system.

All is controlled by the alphabetical order of OverlayHandlers under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

If the OverlayHandlers for LinkShellExtension somehow slipped to a slot greater 15 under 32bit Windows or greater 11 with 64bit Windows, the LSE Overlay Icons won't show up.

To manually boost the priority of LSE OverlayIcons open the above registry location with regedit and rename

HardLinkMenu --> 0HardLinkMenu
IconOverlayHardLink --> 0IconOverlayHardLink
IconOverlaySymbolicLink --> 0IconOverlaySymbolicLink

and either restart the explorer or log-off and log-on again. The point here is to change the alphabetical order by prepeding a 0. With Windows 10, a 0 might not help but prepending a blank should do it. See below:
Q: The symbolic link overlay icons do not show up under Windows 10

A: See one FAQ above and raise the priority of IconOverlaySymbolicLink under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

by prepending two blanks.
IconOverlaySymbolicLink --> ' 'IconOverlaySymbolicLink

and either restart the explorer or log-off and log-on again. The point here is to change the alphabetical order by prepeding blanks.
Obviously, it's fairly trivial to adapt these to whatever overlays you're concerned about - they'll all be listed there in the registry.

And remember: Though this is a fairly minor registry tweak, back the thing up before messing with it.

Btw, have tested this solution myself and it works well.