XYplorer keeps crashing :(

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
highend

Re: XYplorer keeps crashing :(

Post by highend »

No, I meant your posting. Just open XY 50 times and close it with Alt + F4 now. 5 minutes of your life :)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

highend wrote:No, I meant your posting. Just open XY 50 times and close it with Alt + F4 now. 5 minutes of your life :)
OK, just to confirm, you want me to re-assign ALT -F4 and open /close XY 50 times right now. Stand by :)

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

highend wrote:No, I meant your posting. Just open XY 50 times and close it with Alt + F4 now. 5 minutes of your life :)
Just did it 100 times. No crash :(

Edit: should I go back and re-assign ALT+Z and continue to use it to see if it crashes using this (to see if it's something with ALT-F4 specifically)?0\

highend

Post by highend »

So 100 times closed with Alt + F4 while you didn't reassign the Alt + F4 shortcut in XYplorer before? Unlikely that
that assignment is the cause for the crash...

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

highend wrote:So 100 times closed with Alt + F4 while you didn't reassign the Alt + F4 shortcut in XYplorer before? Unlikely that
that assignment is the cause for the crash...
I had changed the assignment tl ALT+Z but then changed it back to ALT+F4 because of your request. Tested 100 times and it did not crash.

highend

Post by highend »

Maybe a bad coincidence of several (internal!) XY factors -> Hard to find the cause for your issue but
at least we can say: The default assigned Alt + F4 inside XY alone is not the reason...

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Hm - it seems to me that alt-F4 is a system function, being mapped to the same as clicking X in upper right corner?
(And does that - at least by default - for *every * application.)

I deleted alt-F4 from XY definition, and added shift-Esc. Now shift-Esc terminated XY, but alt-F4 still did the same!

@stisev: if, for some time, you could use mouse to click X for XY-termination you could see whether the problem occures here, too.
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Some other troubleshooting ideas:
  • 1. Why not just keep XY open (and minimized when desired) all the time? Why do you need to close it when you do?
    2. Are you working with any externally attached drives or other attached devices?
    3. Aside from checking shell extensions (consider inspecting with Sysinternals Autoruns), is there any other software running that could be doing frequent I/O?
    4. Can you see any pattern to the tabs, locations, filters you have currently in place at the time a crash occurs?
    5. Do you work with dual panes and have you noticed what locations are open in the other pane (whether you deliberately use the other pane or not)?
    6. Have you tried using a later version than 17.30, preferably the latest non-beta release?
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

OK I found a workaround for this:

Will utilize ALT+F4 to minimize XYplorer to tray. I then use ALT+X (via eventghost entry) to re-show Xyplorer.

Works perfectly and will avoid (hopefully) the crashing bug.

highend

Post by highend »

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

I could have sworn I tested this years ago and it didn't work with ALT+F4. There's even a posting by me about it a long time ago. I wonder if the ALT+F4 hotkey was removed by me at the time in the keyboard shortcuts in XYplorer and maybe it was using Window's ALT-F4 closure instead of minimizing.

Forgive me for not paying more attention. XYplorer is so deceptively more advanced than I thought. The help is superb though. I am going through it now :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

stisev wrote:Will utilize ALT+F4 to minimize XYplorer to tray. I then use ALT+X (via eventghost entry) to re-show Xyplorer.
eventghost ... hmm... could that be the cause of the crashes? Can you turn this off for a while to test?

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

admin wrote:
stisev wrote:Will utilize ALT+F4 to minimize XYplorer to tray. I then use ALT+X (via eventghost entry) to re-show Xyplorer.
eventghost ... hmm... could that be the cause of the crashes? Can you turn this off for a while to test?
That was the first thing I tried. Still crashed several times.

PS: Eventghost is one of my favorite apps along with XYplorer of all time!!