How do you want to open this file

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
thecon

How do you want to open this file

Post by thecon »

Hi!

I've been using 64-bit Windows 10 Anniversary (14393.222) and XYplorer 17.20.0200.

Problem is... when i try to open a png or jpg file (or any other image file in particular), I keep
getting the "How do you want to open this file" dialog. Even if I press "Always use this app to
open .png files", this dialog pops up the next time I open the file.

I have tried everything mentioned on google search queries about this problem (including
resorting to "settings", or to classic "control panel", or to manually messing with the
registry), but this problem persists.

Then, i noticed that this problem does not occur when using the regular windows explorer.
When I make a default app, the image opens with that, no questions asked the next time
I do it again.

Have you guys noticed a similar thing? I first noticed the problem on XYplorer 17.00.0100,
but the latest one (17.20.0200) still has that problem.

Thanks!

Jerry

Re: How do you want to open this file

Post by Jerry »

Does this occur if you run a fresh instance of XYplorer?

Code: Select all

xyplorer.exe /fresh
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

thecon

Post by thecon »

Yes, the problem occurs even with a fresh instance.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Puzzling. You might try going into "Choose default apps by file type" in Windows 10 settings and see if there's anything peculiar in the associations and perhaps reset the default app again there. I assume you are not using XYplorer's portable file associations and don't have some kind of handler installed for Explorer. You can inspect this with Sysinternals Autoruns, Explorer tab. I'm not sure exactly, but launching an associated program on a selected file in XYplorer may still go through Explorer for the file association so a handler could still be involved, but don't see why the behavior would be different between xy and Explorer.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

thecon

Post by thecon »

Hm... I know see the problem also exists in other programs too, so it's not a fault of XYplorer.

I think that the latest windows 10 has a problem with other programs launching other programs.

Mine was the latest windows 10 freshly installed (Anniversary Update), so maybe some other users
have encountered a similar problem.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I'm using the Anniversary update (1607, build 14393.222) but not having this issue.

highend

Post by highend »

I've seen this issue on the enterprise version, but not the ltsb one (both RS1 - Build 14393) so I guess this is more of a MS issue, not XY's.
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

thecon

Post by thecon »

Solved it by going to gpedit -> Local Computer Policy -> Computer configuration -> Administrative templates -> Windows Compononents -> File Explorer -> Do not show the 'new application installed' notification -> Enabled.

Thanks guys!

GregH

Post by GregH »

w00t!
This was driving me crazy and the gpedit fix did the trick.
Win 10 Pro x64 / XYplorer 18.70.0100

JimXYUser

Post by JimXYUser »

I have the same issue and I'm using Window 10 Pro.
Solved it by going to gpedit -> Local Computer Policy -> Computer configuration -> Administrative templates -> Windows Compononents -> File Explorer -> Do not show the 'new application installed' notification -> Enabled.
I don't understand the above, how to get to gpedit?

jupe

Post by jupe »

JimXYUser

Post by JimXYUser »

@jupe

thanks for the link, i finally fix it. yea! :appl: