Drag stops working

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
ksarnelli

Drag stops working

Post by ksarnelli »

I'm having an issue with XY where the following starts happening:

- Dragging objects from the tree and lists stops working (can't even start dragging). This happens regardless of dragging with the left or right mouse buttons.
- The forward/back buttons on my mouse start triggering XY to jump two levels instead of one. For example, I click the back button on my mouse and XY quickly jumps back twice, in sequence.

I have no idea what triggers XY to enter this state, but once it starts the only way to resolve it is to restart XY. After restarting XY behaves as expected for little while and then the problem occurs again. I don't know exactly what version it started occurring in, but I hadn't upgraded since around early June and upon upgrading to 17+ I started encountering this issue.

FluxTorpedoe

Re: Drag stops working

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi’
Is it only happening in XYplorer?
And if you do Right-Click then Esc, does the drag’n drop work again?

ksarnelli

Post by ksarnelli »

FluxTorpedoe wrote: Is it only happening in XYplorer?
Yes, only in XY and like I mentioned it only started happening after I upgraded XY. I think I went from 16.9.0300 to 17.00.???? and then to 17.10.0000. It started happening on v 17.00.???? and still happens with 17.10.0000.
FluxTorpedoe wrote: And if you do Right-Click then Esc, does the drag’n drop work again?
No, the only workaround I've found so far is to completely restart XY.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Let me know if you have an idea what triggers XY to enter this state.

Borut

Post by Borut »

I also seem to have encountered this very sporadically for a long time. I then pres ESC once (or several times?) and afterwards everything is normal again. (Not sure if it actually has to do with pressing ESC, or it just seems so). Unfortunately I have no idea what brings it into that state. However, for me it is a minor issue.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

clarkedesign

Post by clarkedesign »

Yes - I've got this problem again too.
I do remember this happening a long while ago for a few versions.

I have multiple displays - XYplorer on one and say an open email on another.
If I drag a file from XYplorer to attach it to the email, nothing happens.

if I open the same directory in Windows File Explorer, drag and drop in the email works perfectly.
Thanks,
Sean Clarke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Restarting XY fixes it?

ksarnelli

Post by ksarnelli »

Just figured I'd bump this as it still happens several times a day for me. However, the behavior has changed slightly since a version a month or two ago (not exactly sure when). Now, left click drags continue to work, but right click drags still do not. The issue with the back/forward mouse buttons (mouse buttons 4/5) still occurs as well.

I still don't know exactly what causes XY to get into this state, but restarting XY temporarily solves the issue. I believe it has something to do with browsing slow network shares (via UNC paths) in thumbnail mode, as that is usually when the issue begins.

Also please note that clarkedesign's post in this thread is something entirely different and is not the issue I am experiencing.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are you dragging *over* the windows of other software? I have at least one software here that destroys the dragging when I drag over it.

ksarnelli

Post by ksarnelli »

admin wrote:Are you dragging *over* the windows of other software? I have at least one software here that destroys the dragging when I drag over it.
No - The file doesn't even begin dragging. It's as if I just clicked on it and let go.

m48tx

Post by m48tx »

Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit. XYplorer 17.50.0101 (but happens in earlier versions as well)

I am having this same problem. Dragging within XYplorer simply quits working. I cannot figure out what triggers this behavior. I get things back working by clicking "File|Restart without Saving" but tree goes to default startup state, not how it was when dragging stopped.

I thought it might be Logitech mouse driver (I use Logitech M510), so I removed the driver and let Windows manage the mouse. Drag still stops. I installed XMouseButtonControl to manage mouse features. Drag still stops.

I thought it might be my flipping between detail view and thumbnail view (in image folders), but drag stops working dealing strictly with details.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cold reboot Windows?

m48tx

Post by m48tx »

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I cold boot Windows every day - at least once. It is Windows after all. ;)

ksarnelli

Post by ksarnelli »

ksarnelli wrote:
admin wrote:Are you dragging *over* the windows of other software? I have at least one software here that destroys the dragging when I drag over it.
No - The file doesn't even begin dragging. It's as if I just clicked on it and let go.
Actually I should clarify. It's not as if I let go because the context menu does not pop up, but the drag does not begin at all.

ksarnelli

Post by ksarnelli »

admin wrote:Cold reboot Windows?
It's definitely not a Windows issue - it only affects XY and began in a version prior to my original post. Like I mentioned it used to affect both left and right click drags, but in some recent (month or so) version left click drags started working again when the issue occurs.

The mouse 4/5 (forward/back) issue also begins occurring at the exact same time (clicking either one sends XY forward or back 2 levels instead of one. using alt-left/right or the toolbar buttons works normally). Again this only affects XY - the mouse forward/back buttons work properly in all other applications.

Restarting XY resolves the issue...until it happens again (several times a day). :P