Phantom files appearing in wrong pane, temporarily

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
JLoftus

Phantom files appearing in wrong pane, temporarily

Post by JLoftus »

I've seen the following "bug" happen twice today:

I have a few tabs open in both panes, the one on the right is my local "Google Photos" folder, the one on the left is some unrelated location, on another volume. the Google Photos folder has about 5000 files and the other pane's folder has 17.

I was in a web browser making changes to my Google Photos library, and suddenly, thousands of files "appeared" in the left pane (wrong folder, wrong drive, wrong pane). Due to space concerns, I quickly opened a Windows Explorer folder to the left folder location, and of course, the phantom files are not there <whew>.

I refreshed in XY and the files disappeared. I didn't worry about it too much, but it happened a second time. Thought I would post a screenshot before I refresh, because I know they will go away when I do. Note the status bar shows 4,745 items with the left pane focused, but the overlaid Windows Explorer shows only 17. Also, note the duplication of the wav files at the top of the list, I've been seeing this behavior also. If I refresh, the duplicates will also go away:
Attachments
2016-08-13_11-57-04.jpg
2016-08-13_11-57-04.jpg (845.22 KiB) Viewed 2932 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Phantom files appearing in wrong pane, temporarily

Post by admin »

Fascinating! Can you reproduce it at will? (I cannot.)

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

It's happened twice today (same set of folders in both instances), but I can't reproduce intentionally. That's why I took the screenshot, because just describing it doesn't explain it as well as if you see it.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Just happened again, same folder (Google Photos) on right side, different folder on left, got both phantoms and dupes in left pane (not currently focused). I had deleted a handful of files from the Google Photos folder, which caused the drive tray app to resynch, that's when I noticed this happening again

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Still no luck. Does not happen here. :|

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

I can now reproduce this at will... In the Google Photos folder, I select a file, and use the Properties tab in the info panel to set the Created, Modified, and Accessed timestamps. As soon as I use the checkmark to set the timestamp, the unfocused pane gets the phantom files and dupes.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Certainly a bug. But I have a hard time to understand it (still cannot repro it).

Can you reproduce it only in the Google Photos folder, or also in other folders?

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

I just tried with a few other folders, does not happen. So, maybe tied to the automatic sync/refresh from the Google Drive tray app?

tiago

Post by tiago »

I'm currently having no time to get into this but JLoftus: is this related to attaching external storage, be it hard or thumb drives? It's one of the causes I observed provoking the problem.
Power-hungry user!!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

From the screenshot it looks as if files from the front pane are *added* to the files in the back pane (result: back pane shows contents of both panes), correct?

(I don't see anything in the code that could be responsible for this. :eh: Real mystery...)

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

admin wrote:From the screenshot it looks as if files from the front pane are *added* to the files in the back pane (result: back pane shows contents of both panes), correct?
Yes, that does appear to be what it "looks" like is happening. As soon as you refresh the back pane the added/duped files disappear. Also, I have no removable storage connected at this time (no thumb drives, no external hard drives), but I do have network connections, both as UNC and as mapped drive letters. In the case of the two folders here, they are both local fixed disks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I'll watch it. It's certainly a bug but one that's really hard to find... :evil: