"File in use" stupid loop.

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
kunkel321

"File in use" stupid loop.

Post by kunkel321 »

Maybe every 5 or 10th time I try to rename a folder, I get this erroneous error message.

I'm fairly sure that the folder is actually not in use by any app other than XY. When it does this, in creates a loop, whereby pressing either Cancel, or Try Again, just causes the error message to popup again. Sometimes if I keep pressing cancel, then the dialog will stay gone, and I can Esc from the attempted rename. Other times I have to kill XY using Task Manager.

It's most annoying!

Q: Is it possible that the "other app" is actually the Downward Path part of the breadcrumb?
EDIT: A: Nope. That's not the reason.

Interestingly, this time, I got the dialog to go away, but I checked Task Man anyway. There was an "application" running with a generic icon called "File in use." WTF is that? There was no associated window, and it was in addition to XY. Killing the process, did allow me to alter the folder. (Actually I deleted it rather than renaming.)
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

admin
Site Admin

Re: "File in use" stupid loop.

Post by admin »

Is maybe Preview or Raw View open on any file in the folder?

Papoulka

Post by Papoulka »

This remains an inconvenience with XY, though somewhat less often for me now. Maybe I'm being more careful.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12221&p=109610&hili ... ow#p109610

My suggestion there still stands - if the "Folder In Use" popup window is under XY's control it should be forced to the top. That would help a lot in dealing with this.

Overall, it would be best if clicking on "Cancel" really and directly canceled the operation.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

admin wrote:Is maybe Preview or Raw View open on any file in the folder?
I'm pretty sure that this has not been the case--though I did just now try it, and having a subitem from the folder previewed, then trying to rename the folder with another instance of XY, does indeed provoke the problem. It's interesting that, if I intentionally evoke the problem like this, then the error dialog stays closed after the first time pressing "Cancel." (It doesn't stupid loop)

I've been trying every other thing I could think of to replicate the problem. It did happen once when I put a pdf into the to-be-renamed folder. I thought this might be related to my Custom Column that has a script for pdfs. It only happened once though--so it's not a "reproducible" thing. I'll keep experimenting.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel