Scrolling using touchpad

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
diarrhio

Post by diarrhio »

Ok. I think I found out what message is being sent to a window when the virtual scrolling is used. It's the WM_MOUSEWHEEL message.

In my app I have a window that handles those messages, and if I use the virtual scrolling on that window the WM_MOUSEWHEEL handler is getting hit.

Hope that helps. This bug really is frustrating! After a few months, my mind still tries to use the virtual scrolling (which is very very handy), then gets frustrated that I have to go hunt down the scroll bar and drag it. I know, I'm spoiled!

Thanks.

D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

diarrhio wrote:Ok. I think I found out what message is being sent to a window when the virtual scrolling is used. It's the WM_MOUSEWHEEL message.
Unfortunately that's no surprise. I AM using the WM_MOUSEWHEEL message for my wheely code!

scrotty

Post by scrotty »

I am a new XYplorer user and have been very happy with the trial. However, I too am seeing the problem with edge-scrolling on my touchpad not controlling XYplorer scroll bars.

In other words, you have at least one other user who would love to see this fixed. (But it's definitely not a deal-breaker on my decision to purchase a license.) :)

Vista
Dell Synaptics touchpad
XYplorer 6.80.0000 (trial)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

scrotty wrote:I am a new XYplorer user and have been very happy with the trial. However, I too am seeing the problem with edge-scrolling on my touchpad not controlling XYplorer scroll bars.

In other words, you have at least one other user who would love to see this fixed. (But it's definitely not a deal-breaker on my decision to purchase a license.) :)

Vista
Dell Synaptics touchpad
XYplorer 6.80.0000 (trial)
Hi and welcome! :)

The problem needs further research... it will eventually be solved.

Don

infimum

Post by infimum »

A somewhat related issue. My notebook is equipped with a back and forward button that you (probably) use often in web browsing. These buttons don't work when pressed on the keyboard, but they work on my USB-connected mouse. I don't used these often, so they don't bother me. But I thought that I'd better write it down for recod's sake here.

diarrhio

Post by diarrhio »

This issue still drives me nuts at least once a day. Any chance it can get looked at again? Anything I can do to help you debug it?

CandyBar

Post by CandyBar »

Have you looked at the Synaptics SDK? I have no idea if it would help or not, but you can find it here: http://www.synaptics.com/decaf/utilitie ... PIv1_0.zip
Also I suspect that SynTPEnh.ini will need an entry for XYplorer. Some examples of other entries:

Code: Select all

[Eudora Pro]
WT = "Eudora Pro*"
SC = "Internet Explorer_Server"
SF = 0x10000000
SF |= 0x00001000
SF |= 0x00004000
SF |= 0x00000002
SF |= 0x00000240
SF |= 0x00040000
LP = 0x00000020

[Html Help File Keyword]
SC = "hh_kwd_vlist"
SF = 0x10000000
SF |= 0x00004000

[Virtual Scrolling Practice]
PC = "SynapticsScrollingTutorial" 
SF = 0x10000000
SF |= 0x00001000

[Add/Remove Programs]
FC = "DirectUIHWND" 
SF = 0x10000000
SF |= 0x00004000
SF |= 0x00001000

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

CandyBar wrote:Also I suspect that SynTPEnh.ini will need an entry for XYplorer.
I've got one of these Synaptics pads, so I looked for that INI file on my system...found it in my Dell Drivers folder, and it'd not been modified since 2005, plus it has entries for a number of programs that are now quite obsolete, such as Excel 97 and IE4, etc...so I'm kind of doubtful that this may have any connection, but that's just my $.02.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

CandyBar

Post by CandyBar »

According to these threads the ini file entries may make a difference: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/ind ... topic=7103
and
http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/index ... 74284.html

I don't purport to be an expert in anything, I just think it would be nice if the scrolling worked and am throwing about ideas.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

CandyBar wrote:According to these threads the ini file entries may make a difference: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/ind ... topic=7103
and
http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/index ... 74284.html

I don't purport to be an expert in anything, I just think it would be nice if the scrolling worked and am throwing about ideas.
Ok, now I'm officially :oops: !! Turns out that when I did my Find, I'd had an Exclude for "Program Files" that I didn't realize I had active as I have a number of entries there! OOPS!

So...I read those threads and decided to try an experiment:
Added the following as suggested to C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.ini

Code: Select all

[XYplorer]
WT = "*XYplorer*"
SF = 0x10000000
SF |= 0x00004000

and then killed SynTPEnh.exe via Task Manager and restarted it
(the Fix.bat technique in that laptopvideo2go forum didn't seem to work for me)..

..and...

My touchpad....now, at least, will do vertical Virtual Scrolling! :D
The Horizontal doesn't appear to work but the vertical is much more used anyway...
THANKS CandyBar!! And welcome to the XY forums also!

BTW, the Synaptics drivers that I'm using are ver 7.9.3, which may not be the latest, but it's what I last found on Dell site for my system, as I recall.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Minor update: Since the info provided at that other forum was key in providing an answer here for me, I had posted a reply there that was approved by their moderator as by "Guest_J_Hallgren", and which summarizes the above, plus gives a link back here and to XY site...see http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/ind ... st&p=67560

It never hurts to have extra backlinks to XY! :wink:

scrotty

Post by scrotty »

:cry:

No love for me. I don't have the SynTPEnh.ini file anywhere. I even tried just creating one in the C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\ directory to no avail.

I read on another forum that newer Synaptics drivers don't use the ini file anymore. Maybe it's now all registry based. I'll have to look into this further.

Here's what I have:
SynTPEnh.exe, 815,104 bytes, 11/15/2006 19:06:00, ver 9.0.1.3 06Nov06

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

:cry: Well, you have my sympathies...but given that vers 7.9.3 driver is the latest that Dell shows for my system, I'm somewhat hesitant to possibly break what works to install a later one to see how it differs, and help you out...if I was sure that a later one was fully compatible with the odd way Dell sometimes does things, I might be willing to try it.

However, since you're way out on that Vista limb and I'm back in the W2K roots, I don't think I'll be able to get the same vers of drivers to work on this ole PC!

scrotty

Post by scrotty »

and I'm back in the W2K roots
W2K?!!! I'd say you were a Luddite but your use of XYplorer indicates otherwise! :)

Anyhow, I'll motivate myself at some point to track down how to get things right with the latest Synaptics drivers. Naturally, I'll post my findings here.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

scrotty wrote:
and I'm back in the W2K roots
W2K?!!! I'd say you were a Luddite but your use of XYplorer indicates otherwise! :)
:roll: Well, it's somewhat due to the system I'm using at the moment...I bought an 2yr old off-lease Dell in 2004(?), as an upgrade/replacement for an older one running W98...and it had W2K as original OS on it, so in order to maintain Dell support, and not buy XP myself, I kept it as I got it...so I indicate my use of 2K on my sig line...plus, I've heard it was one of the best OS's that M$ has had!

Now, I've gotten another system that runs XP, but I've not finished setting that one up...plus it has an Alps touchpad where I already had some driver issues as the newest one that it had pre-installed removed some gesture/click features that I use on occasion, so I had to go back and get a prior driver vers...not sure what scrolling issues that I may run into with that brand!

And just a FYI: I've been working with computers since 1974, so I guess that does make me somewwhat of a Luddite! :wink: