Folder size caching not doing what I expect

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
mwb1100

Folder size caching not doing what I expect

Post by mwb1100 »

I'm looking forward to using the new folder size caching feature, but it's not working as I expect. I hope that I'm stupidly doing something wrong. I have enabled "Cache Folder sizes" in Tools > Configuration... >General > Tree and List

Then I go to directory A, press Shift-F5 and get folder sizes. I go to a different directory ((let's say B) and press Shft-F5 to get the folder sizes. However when I go back to A, I expect to see cached folder sizes just appear, but they aren't. I have to press Shift-F5 again.

I see the following two things in the help file related to "Cache Folder sizes", so it seems like my Shift-F5 results should be cached:

- The cache is not read (but written) in: Reports; SC foldersize(); Selection Stats; Find Files by Size; menu View | Calculate Folder Sizes (Shift+F5)

- How to refresh the cache for certain folders: Simply use menu "View | Calculate Folder Sizes" (Shift+F5). This command will refresh the cache for all selected folders, or for all folders in the list if none is selected.

What should I do to get cached folder sizes to appear for folders that I've previously seen sizes for? Note that I'd prefer not to turn on "Always show folder sizes".

Update:
It looks like the file C:\Users\mwb\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer\fsc.dat is being written with data for the folders in question, so the cache exists. Why isn't that data being used?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Folder size caching not doing what I expect

Post by admin »

Looking at the Help you would see this:
The cache is not read (but written) in:
Reports; SC foldersize(); Selection Stats; Find Files by Size; menu View | Calculate Folder Sizes (Shift+F5)
What you should enable is
a) Show Folder Sizes (Pizza button or Size column context menu), or
OR
b) Configuration | Tree and List | List | Always show folder sizes

WirlyWirly

Post by WirlyWirly »

I'm having a similar issue, my folder caches aren't being saved across xy instances.

When a folder size gets cached and then I quit xy, next time I re-open xy all the cached folder sizes are gone.

It might having something to do with the SessionsManager script I'm using. The only solution I have found is to cache my folder sizes, select File|Save Settings, followed by SessionManager|Update Session (Otherwise it resets the session to nothing?), and then next time I launch xy the cache is loaded correctly.

Any ideas if this is a SessionsManager problem or an xy issue?

I have Cache Folder Sizes enabled in the configuration.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How many items are in the folder?