Preview 2.0 - Generic Thread

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Enternal

Re: Preview 2.0 - Generic Thread

Post by Enternal »

Actually Don, I found a solution but I don't think I understand fully why it works. It's Windows after all :veryconfused:

What I did was do a clean install of the codec pack just to start clean. Obviously it still did not work. Anyways I then reset the file associations and this time set Windows Media Player and (specifically the x86 version) as the default player. MP4 files can now be previewed through the floating preview but not MKV. Then found out that MKV is not registered with a preview handler even though it's playable by Windows Media Player and is the default player. Using a tool called PreviewConfig http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/previ ... ows-vista/, I manually set the preview handle for mkv files. Other media files by default is already registered including ogm (which is funny since ogm and a few obscure formats are rarer than mkv yet by default it is registered with a preview handler). MKV files can now be previewed in XYplorer's floating preview. It can also now be previewed in Windows Explorer.

This is actually weird in general because of the following:
avi files: File type is associated with my preferred media player and not Windows Media Player. Registered with a preview handler. I was able to preview the file in the floating preview.

mp4 files: File type is associated with my preferred media player and not Windows Media Player. Registered with a preview handler. I was NOT able to preview the file in the floating preview. Change file association to Windows Media Player and I could then preview the file in floating preview.

mkv files: File type is associated with my preferred media player and not Windows Media Player. NOT Registered with a preview handler. I was NOT able to preview the file in the floating preview. Change file association to Windows Media Player AND manually register with a preview handler and I could then preview the file in floating preview.

And that is just these 3 formats. I have not test the other yet but I'm sure I will get more inconsistent behavior. Fun. :x

EDIT: Webm does not work at all unless I set it to be associated with VLC media player (my backup media player software. basically not my preferred media player but not Windows Media Player either). Webm files can be played in Windows Media Player though. Hahaha! I guess it does not depend on whether Windows Media Player can play the file or not. It just depends on whether the software it is associated with it support the preview handle. Great. Makes me life easier (not) :lol:

I guess in the far future (Preview 3.0), it might be better to find a way that makes it more independent from these variables. A few other file managers I played around with seems to be doing this somehow. So basically as long as Windows Media Player can play it, the floating preview will preview it regardless of the file associations, the preview handlers, and other funny parameters. But then again it's Windows. They will find ways to screw you up right? :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, thanks for this! And you are a bold (or desperate) man using an obscure tool like PreviewConfig. :)

In the next beta it *might* work better since I changed the order of my attempts to get an interface to the preview handlers. Apparently one order is the right one but you are supposed to find out by trial and error. No docs...

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Sweet~ Sounds good and I surely will test that out haha. But yeah it seems like Windows just wants you to fish for things. Goodness gracious. Why can't it be easier at times haha.

And yes, I'm desparate. :lol:

hogaty

Post by hogaty »

I have tried preview for xlsm and docm extensions in Windows File Explorer. Preview for these extensions in Windows File Explorer is not supported. XYplorer will not support this too.
Anyway Preview 2.0 is great.
There are no described focus transferring problems in Windows File Explorer. Can be used for preview excel files only.

admin wrote:
hogaty wrote:XYplorer beta v16.00.0241, v16.00.0243:
There is an issue related only to floating preview of excel files in a case when there is simultaneously opened excel
file with excel application. Focus is transferred to floating preview window at first click, but floating preview
window is not filled with data of previewed excel file. Then at second click is focus transferred to window of
opened excel file and windows of floating preview is filled with data of previewed excel file.

I have observed this behaviour in configurations:
Windows 7, Office 2010
Windows XP, Office 2007

XYplorer beta v16.00.0244:
There is an issue related:
1.to floating preview of excel files in a case when there is simultaneously opened excel file with excel application.
At mouse click focus is transferred to window of opened excel file only and windows of floating preview is not filled with data of
previewed excel file.

2.to floating preview of excel files without simultaneously opened excel file with excel application.
Focus is transferred to floating preview window at first click, but floating preview
window is not filled with data of previewed excel file. At second click floating preview
window is filled with data of previewed excel file.

I have observed this behaviour in configuration:
Windows XP, Office 2007

XYplorer beta v16.00.0241 - v16.00.0244
Preview of xlsm and docm files ends with message: No preview available. There is message "shell failed to decode" in title
bar of floating preview window too.

All other types of office files are previewed OK.
Thanks for the report. I don't have Office myself, but even if I had I don't think I could do anything about this. Office has always been full of exotic behaviors and bugs, it's like a world apart within Microsoft. One has to live with its quirks.

xlsm and docm: Can you preview them in Windows File Explorer?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What if you preview XLS in the Preview tab? Same issue?

hogaty

Post by hogaty »

Preview excel files is in preview tab without that issue. All is OK. Described focus transferring problem concerns floating preview only.
admin wrote:What if you preview XLS in the Preview tab? Same issue?

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

I don't have Office installed as I cancelled my Office 365 subscription. Floating preview or preview pane don't show the preview (expected). But MDBU does show the text. Can it share its intelligence with FP and Preview Pane

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MDBU on icon you mean?

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Yes. MDBU on the icon extracts the text (can be a good fallback if there aren't any preview handlers)

One more thing. Currently, floating preview if initiated on one type of files, doesn't preview other formats (which it can if it was activated on those kind of files). Is this to be done in step 3.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nerdweed wrote:Yes. MDBU on the icon extracts the text (can be a good fallback if there aren't any preview handlers)

One more thing. Currently, floating preview if initiated on one type of files, doesn't preview other formats (which it can if it was activated on those kind of files). Is this to be done in step 3.
1. Funny that it works. They forgot to uninstall the IFilter . :)
Yes, maybe an idea for later...

2. This is a feature. The idea is to move within a category of files and ignore all others.

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

1. I had freshly installed Windows 10 and don't recall installing office post that. Good that it still works

2. Its an either or feature. :mrgreen:

sinilill

Post by sinilill »

admin wrote:2. This is a feature. The idea is to move within a category of files and ignore all others.
Maybe you can add a modifier key to jump to the next file type, so when pressing a modifier key and a arrow key it will jump to the next file type?

Just an observation: the default preview handler for svg files (internet explorer?) always takes window focus back to the preview window, even when selecting files in the list. Also the preview handler allows to navigate between files with up+down arrow and left+right arrow keys. Is there a way I could also enable this kind of navigation for tab views which have 1 file/folder per row? So when pressing left and right arrow key the caret would move up and down in the file list. I think it would be a good option for a unified experience :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. I'd say that's a bug, so I will fix it.

2. Left/Right arrow do horizontal scrolling (if there is a horizontal scrollbar). I could add the functionality if there is no horizontal scrollbar. But I dislike when basic keys depend on the context. It's bad for muscle memory.

hogaty

Post by hogaty »

remark to Just an observation:
The same for xls,xlsx - floating preview office files. Maybe not thoroughly described.
Now fix for svg - floating preview web files exists. Could be possible similar fix to applicate for floating preview of xls,xlsx files ?

described case:
2.to floating preview of excel files without simultaneously opened excel file with excel application.
Focus is transferred to floating preview window at first click, but floating preview
window is not filled with data of previewed excel file. At second click floating preview
window is filled with data of previewed excel file.
sinilill wrote:
admin wrote:2. This is a feature. The idea is to move within a category of files and ignore all others.
Maybe you can add a modifier key to jump to the next file type, so when pressing a modifier key and a arrow key it will jump to the next file type?

Just an observation: the default preview handler for svg files (internet explorer?) always takes window focus back to the preview window, even when selecting files in the list. Also the preview handler allows to navigate between files with up+down arrow and left+right arrow keys. Is there a way I could also enable this kind of navigation for tab views which have 1 file/folder per row? So when pressing left and right arrow key the caret would move up and down in the file list. I think it would be a good option for a unified experience :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I try something...