File Info Tips with many .avi files causes Xyplorer to hang

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Chris Wood

Re: File Info Tips with many .avi files causes Xyplorer to hang

Post by Chris Wood »

What happens is if you hover a whole bunch of files, XYplorer will stop responding because your CPU is working 100% to fetch the information... then Vista thinks the application has stopped responding and asks you if you want to close it. I don't understand why it takes so much power when Properties > Details displays the information so easily (I assume it's the same info).

It's no biggie since it can be turned off, I just think it should be off by default, given the likelihood of it causing XYplorer to lag out.
test everything. hold on to the good.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:What happens is if you hover a whole bunch of files, XYplorer will stop responding because your CPU is working 100% to fetch the information... then Vista thinks the application has stopped responding and asks you if you want to close it. I don't understand why it takes so much power when Properties > Details displays the information so easily (I assume it's the same info).

It's no biggie since it can be turned off, I just think it should be off by default, given the likelihood of it causing XYplorer to lag out.
I use a certain Windows system function to retrieve these values. It's the "official way" to do this. No idea why it takes so long on some systems. I never had any such problem on my system with AVIs.

I would turn it off by default if the majority of Vista users have this problem. But I don't think this is the case.

Muroph

Post by Muroph »

admin wrote:I use a certain Windows system function to retrieve these values. It's the "official way" to do this. No idea why it takes so long on some systems. I never had any such problem on my system with AVIs.
it's just a guess, but this might be caused by the codecs used by those avi files.
i noticed that after i installed a new codec pack, the tips started taking longer to load, but they show more info than before.
My shared scripts:
TeraCopy Integration, Tag Manager, Comments Menu, Text Replacer, Image and Media Tools, Checksum Calculator, Video Calculator
only 5 URLs are allowed on the sig...