Glitch with time zone changes

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
zer0

Glitch with time zone changes

Post by zer0 »

It seems that, when changing the time zone within Windows, XY does not pick up that change automatically and folder and file creation times are still shown in "old" time. I suppose that a relaunch of XY would cure this, but it's not something that should be happening to begin with.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Re: Glitch with time zone changes

Post by admin »

What if you refresh the list?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:What if you refresh the list?
No help. Whether via the menu bar entry or by flicking between other tabs and back to where the newly-created file is.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Interesting. Then restart is he only remedy. Should not happen too often. Unless you are digital jet set...

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:Interesting. Then restart is he only remedy. Should not happen too often. Unless you are digital jet set...
Doesn't happen in Explorer, so one can't point a finger at it and say "well, Explorer can't do it either". Travel between time zones is not infrequent: whether in Europe or in the US. I understand if it wouldn't have worked as expected in the no-install version, but the installer one should have its tentacles a bit closer to the OS to be able to handle the situation better.
Windows 7/10

zer0

Post by zer0 »

This is still noticeable and is a bother. While you can say "just restart XY", that bug I pointed out the other week about changes not being saved if one doesn't restart for weeks kinda plays into this one. Please fix it Don.
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:This is still noticeable and is a bother. While you can say "just restart XY", that bug I pointed out the other week about changes not being saved if one doesn't restart for weeks kinda plays into this one. Please fix it Don.
What thread are you referring to?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:
zer0 wrote:This is still noticeable and is a bother. While you can say "just restart XY", that bug I pointed out the other week about changes not being saved if one doesn't restart for weeks kinda plays into this one. Please fix it Don.
What thread are you referring to?
Erm, this one :? I saw that you fixed the bug with the auto-save, but the "time zone" glitch is still present. I just used the other thread as collateral to highlight that many instances of XY go unrestarted for weeks and machines they are running sometimes even longer.
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I meant the "that bug I pointed out the other week about changes not being saved" thread.

I'll check the time zone thing when I find the time. ;)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, fixed. :beer:

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:OK, fixed. :beer:
Thank you for coming through, Don! :tup:
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

By coincidence I noted today that the related Windows message (WM_TIMECHANGE) is sent out quite often (Windows bug?) without any time zone or DST change happening! :shock: Each time it happens a refresh is performed of both panes. Not good! I will undo this:

Code: Select all

v17.40.0212 - 2017-01-18 22:07
    + Time Zone Changes: Now XY automatically adjusts the displayed filetimes 
      on-the-fly to a newly selected time zone. No restart necessary.
PS: Might well be that this was the cause of those mysterious "crashes out of nothing" that some users reported in recent years. :maf: