XYp hangs and then freezes computer

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
codeman3d

XYp hangs and then freezes computer

Post by codeman3d »

I've had this problem through all the versions I've used to-date and finally decided to see if anyone else had reported this. I did not locate a topic exactly like this scenario. When I click a tab that is mapped to a network drive, and then immediately use the mouse wheel to scroll the existing results, XYp will hang for a couple seconds and then completely lock the computer up. I have to force a hard boot, and naturally lose any thing that I have not saved in other applications. I often connect to my work machine remotely from home, via Remote Desktop Connection, and I have never had the problem this way. But without fail, when I am in the office, I will be clicking and scrolling so fast that it will hang and freeze.

I am trying to remember to wait a few seconds before scrolling, but you know how it is.... It would be great if you were able to reproduce this issue and find a resolution. Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Re: XYp hangs and then freezes computer

Post by admin »

Only by wheel, or also by scroll bar?

codeman3d

Post by codeman3d »

I have only noticed it when using the scroll wheel. I just tried to reproduce it with the scroll bars, and again with the wheel, but of course....couldn't. :roll:

Zekses

Post by Zekses »

I confirm this. Usually happens after I arrive at work in the morning and after PC was idle for a long time. The version on this PC was continuously upgraded since ~v12. The other installation on a fresh PC doesn't show this behaviour yet.

smbell

Post by smbell »

This is also happening to me with the same exact thing. Switch to a tabbed location with a UNC network path, move to to scroll bar and as soon as I click it hard freezes the machine. Unfortunately, this has caused me to have to abandon XYplorer as our entire pipeline revolves around a central file server. I'd really like to use it again, nothing else compares... Is there any updated info on this?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I added to something (next beta) that should fix it.

smbell

Post by smbell »

Awesome! Thank you so much.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So, did you test it?

JonD

Post by JonD »

I've had this same (or a similar) problem for quite some time.
I've observed that ahead of the hard lockup, XYplorer will begin to consume 25% of CPU constantly.
Screncap of Procmon

If I close it after I'm done using it, it's fine, but if I leave it up, it eventually will lock my machine, usually before my 8 hour shift is up.
I will try to get exact times.

This has been happening for several versions, and it's still happening for me on 16.20.0300.

If I start a fresh copy with 'fresh;', I can last a lot longer (2+ days), but eventually, the same 25% CPU utilization kicks in, then a hard lock.

I might be able to grab a dump of the process when it's at that point, but not sure I can get a crash dump due to the nature of the freeze.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Weird, I don't think we ever had a similar report here. Are you using any scripts?

JonD

Post by JonD »

admin wrote:Weird, I don't think we ever had a similar report here. Are you using any scripts?
Nope, fairly vanilla build. My most recent config change was to enable color filters. I turned that off a few weeks later, as I wondered if it had contributed, but it doesn't seem like it did.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I'm not aware of anything in XY that could cause this behavior. I'll keep watching.

apexman

Post by apexman »

I know that this thread is a few years old already, but I am seeing the same behavior. And this has been happening frequently on pretty much a daily basis.
I am using Windows 7 Professional(Service Pack 1), 32Gb RAM, Intel i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00Ghz, and have version 20.30 for xyplorer. This has been happening with previous versions as well. For me, it mostly happens when clicking on a tab and then scrolling with the mouse. It is a wired USB mouse. This also happened when just moving the scroll bar. (So the center mouse wheel wasn't involved.) What I did notice was that
while the display was frozen, (No keyboard or mouse movement) other applications continued to run. Could not remote desktop in at this point.
One observation was that I have "Windows Explorer" open as well. Don't know if that is an issue. A co-worker is using the same version, and he does not experience this problem.
He does however not have "Windows Explorer" open. Maybe there is a conflict with video cards? (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980).

Really would like to continue using this, but it is getting really frustrating every time it crashes.
Hope to hear back from anyone who has seen and solved this problem.
Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome to the club!

Did you already exclude XY from AV? This is often the source of apparent hangs.
See here: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=mse

Don

apexman

Post by apexman »

So I just confirmed that "Windows Explorer" has nothing to do with the crashes since I did not have it open and the problem happened again.
It seems to be happening on a daily basis now. I have recently updated to version 20.30 from 20.20. Not sure if this is a coincidence.
As far as anti-virus software, we do not use Windows Defender, rather we use SOPHOS (Core Agent 2.4.0 if that means anything)
As a side note, when running it does not seem to be slow.

There are some tabs that refer to the network, but this last time that it happened, I clicked on a tab that was "local" and scrolled using the mouse wheel.
But as stated earlier, this happens even when just scrolling via the scroll bars.

Is there anyway I can insert a picture to show conditions I have. If I click on the icon for image all i get is Image