portable device file copy + new product idea

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
ladner

portable device file copy + new product idea

Post by ladner »

Thank you for adding portable device support. This is a huge improvement to an already excellent product.

The first time I tried to copy a file to a portable device XYP hung. The help file warns of a 30 second delay to start a file copy operation so I was expecting a delay. But after several minutes nothing happened and I had to force shutdown XYP and then restart XYP. This time the file copy operation started immediately.

The MTP protocol is known to be buggy so it would not surprise me if this was not an XYP problem. I am wondering if there might be a work around you could find such transferring a 1 byte file and then deleting it to enable subsequent file copy operations to start up immediately.

One more unrelated thought for your consideration....

There is a serious vacuum of reliable methods of synchronizing collections of files on a PC with an Android device. In large part due to the poor design/bugs of MTP. And because of recent Android security policy changes for writing files to external memory cards. The closest I have come to a solution is MyPhoneExplorer which usually works but is not perfect. It seems they improved the reliability of MTP by creating an Android app that talks to their Windows app. In other words, they control both ends of the MTP conversation and have found a way to make it mostly work. Unfortunately their product does not have a focus on file synchronization nor the polish of XYP.

I am thinking there could be a revenue opportunity for you to create a paid XYP option for synchronizing collections of files between Windows and Android.

admin
Site Admin

Re: portable device file copy + new product idea

Post by admin »

Thanks for the report and the idea.

1) Of course, I'm looking for a solution for the 30 sec issue. But I don't think your idea will work. It's independent of the size of the file. Windows just does not return for unknown reasons.

2) Synchronization is one of the next biggies on my list.

mmalkosh

Re: portable device file copy

Post by mmalkosh »

I have not succeeded in copying files to my portable device. I get a message declaring that the file name is invalid or too long, and then xyplorer either hangs or crashes.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Some devices apparently act like read-only. Can you copy files to the device from Explorer?

mmalkosh

Post by mmalkosh »

Yes. I have no problem copying files to the portable decide using Windows Explorer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, thanks for the report. This will need some research...

ladner

Post by ladner »

admin wrote:Thanks for the report and the idea.

1) Of course, I'm looking for a solution for the 30 sec issue. But I don't think your idea will work. It's independent of the size of the file. Windows just does not return for unknown reasons.
Good luck. I find MTP to be extremely frustrating and unpredictable regardless of the app that uses it.

tip: If I reboot my Android device just before doing any MTP operation I get more consistent and reliable behavior.

printedtopsntees

Post by printedtopsntees »

I too am having problems with copying files etc to and from a Portable Drive. I have no such issues when using Windows Explorer.

Mostly XY crashes. I've had the invalid name bit as above when trying to copy mp3, pdf files to the PD, other file types just seem to either crash XY or get the silent treatment.

I have an LG Nexus 4, Win 7 x64.

The only way I have found to copy is to use the right click drag and select the bottom item in the menu i.e. "Shell Context Menu" which will allow you to Move and Copy. I haven't tried the "Create Shortcuts here" option.

Looking forward to this being resolved.

Don, if you need anymore info on file types etc just let me know and I will experiment further.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Try the latest beta version: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 53#p121053 this has some improvements to how XY copies via mtp.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

printedtopsntees wrote:Mostly XY crashes. I've had the invalid name bit as above when trying to copy mp3, pdf files to the PD, other file types just seem to either crash XY or get the silent treatment.
By "crashes" you mean you get an error message, right?

As Sammay said, the latest beta version should fix this. It will become an official version today.

mmalkosh

Post by mmalkosh »

I am now using 15.00.0200, and the problem still occurs.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

15.00.0200 is neither the latest beta, nor the latest stable, version. The latest stable version is 15.00.0300. try that.

[ed: latest is *.0300]
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

mmalkosh

Post by mmalkosh »

The problem did not recur in .0300. great. thanks.