Drag & Drop .EXE onto CMD window

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Burningfeetman

Drag & Drop .EXE onto CMD window

Post by Burningfeetman »

Hi XYplorer peoples,

Dragging & dropping an executable file from Windows File Explorer into a CMD window prompts CMD with the executable path. When I try this trick with XYPlorer, CMD doesn't respond with the expected executable path, and instead just sits there as if nothing happened.

Cheers!

bdeshi

Re: Drag & Drop .EXE onto CMD window

Post by bdeshi »

It works okay here.
does the cursor change to the drag-drop icon?
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

highend

Post by highend »

- Latest beta
- Windows Server 2012 R2 U1 de_DE

Win + r:
- cmd.exe (64bit)
- %windir%\SysWOW64\cmd.exe (32bit)

XY and both cmd instances are running non elevated.

Dragging an .exe file over them (icon changes to a + sign), both don't react on dropping...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Burningfeetman

Post by Burningfeetman »

I tested things further;
Drag & Drop from XYPlorer into CMD works fine on Windows 7 x64. I suspect that this is a compatibility issue with XYPlorer & Windows 8.1 x64, my initial test computer.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Confirmed, I'm on Win7.
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have some plans for Drag & Drop an my table that will probably fix all those issues.

hermhart

Drag and Drop to Command Prompt

Post by hermhart »

Is anyone else experiencing this?

In Windows 7 I am able to drag and drop a folder/file from XYplorer into the command prompt and it will paste the path in. But in Windows 10, I am not able to do this from XYplorer, though it does work if I drag and drop from Windows Explorer into a command prompt.

sasumner

Re: Drag and Drop to Command Prompt

Post by sasumner »

Bump. I am experiencing this exact thing as well, having gotten Win10 recently. Any solutions?

sasumner

Post by sasumner »

>I have some plans for Drag & Drop an my table that will probably fix all those issues.

Any of those plans come to fruition?

I can't get anything to drag-n-drop from XYPlorer (20.10) onto a regular (non-admin) CMD.exe window command line. The mouse cursor changes to the usual white-box-with-plus but then upon drop nothing appears in the CMD window. Note that this happens for any file types I try dragging-n-dropping, including .exe and .txt especially (the ones I care about most). To be clear, all I'm expecting is the pathname to be dropped onto my command line.

This is on Windows 10, which I recently went to from Windows 7, where XY could drag (or CMD could receive!) successfully.

Left-click file and hold, tap right-click and choose works (and then paste into CMD window), and that is usually a time-saver for me, but in this case, nothing would beat drag-n-drop if it worked.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can only confirm this for Win8.1. Same sad story as dropping to Notepad which fails in the same way: Mouse pointer looks good, then nothing happens. Can't find a way to fix that at the moment. :|

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

sasumner wrote: 21 Jun 2019 19:20Bump.
@sasumner, there is no reason to bump every thread relevant to your topic. (The two topics have been merged now.)
[ this user is asleep ]

sasumner

Post by sasumner »

Sorry for the extraneous "bump". I found the one thread first, then with some more extensive searching found the other one.

Interesting about XY dragging and dropping to Notepad.exe not working. I just tried it on my Windows 10 and I agree that it does not work. As a Notepad++ user, where drag-n-drop from XY into it (N++) works great, I had no idea that it wouldn't be the same for Notepad.exe.

Are there even any hints as to why this doesn't work from XY?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's a Windows bug, it's mentioned somewhere here in the forum with additional links (cannot find it now). Since MS is not in the business of fixing bugs it will stay with us for a while...