Drag and Drop file into text editor not working

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
linike860

Drag and Drop file into text editor not working

Post by linike860 »

Hello,

I recently downloaded the free edition of XYplorer and so far I have loved it and have been considering buying the full license. However there is one issue I have where I cannot drag and drop files from XYplorer into my text editors, namely I've tested with Sublime Text, Visual Studio and Notepad. I can drag and drop via windows explorer just fine, but every time I drag from the XYplorer window it gives me the dragging mouse cursor and when I drop it on the application it doesn't do anything.

I've already turned off Mouse Down Blow Up so I know that is not the issue, I have also tested drag copying/moving works between windows explorer and xyplorer which works fine. I tried running with a fresh configuration and it didn't change it. I don't think this is related to the issue where XYplorer steals focus on mouse down rather than mouse up (which is also a slight annoyance).

I am running XYplorerFree 14.80 on Windows 8.1 x64.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

highend

Re: Drag and Drop file into text editor not working

Post by highend »

I've downloaded XYplorerFree 14.80.0000, extracted it (portable zip edition), selected a .txt file and drag'n dropped it over Sublime Text 3. Worked without any issues. Windows Server 2012 R2 U1 (same kernel as 8.1). Neither XY nor ST were started with admin rights but I guess you don't start ST, Notepad or Visual Studio with admin permissions, right?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

linike860

Post by linike860 »

No none of them are started as administrator. When I do run the text editor as admin the cursor is a slashed o instead. I'm also using Sublime Text 3. I'm not running the portable version if that matters.

EDIT: downloaded the portable version and it acts the same. no dice.
EDIT 2: also got the portable full version trial and it too has the problem.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

That's really odd. Perfectly working for me for Sublime Text and Notepad. So drag and drop works fine for everything else like dragging media files into media players, image files into image editors, and such? It's only when you're dragging to a text editor?

Marco

Post by Marco »

Are you using some antivirus/hips that might interfere?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

linike860

Post by linike860 »

Drag and drop works fine for everything else that I've tested including Media Player Classic with videos and Irfanview with images. Oddly enough I got it to work for Notepad and Visual Studio if the programs were launched via opening a text file from XYplorer. Once they launch I could drag and drop to them, but this is not the case for Sublime Text still... I do not have any antivirus besides Windows' standard protections, this install of windows is just a couple of weeks old now.

After testing a few more versions of things I could get drag and drop to work on sublime text, but only the 32 bit version. Perhaps this is because XYplorer is a 32 bit executable? I assume it worked for VS and notepad like above because they were launched in 32 bit mode by XYplorer. Media Player Classic and Irfanview are just 32 bit applications as well. Is there or will there be a 64 bit version of XYplorer that I could test with?

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

I have both x86 and x64 of ST3, and drag-drop from XY work on both, and have always done so for as long I had them.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

might this help?
Then I find this site [...] which tells me to press and release (hit) the escape key [while keeping the left mouse button down during the drag gesture]. Damn, all that wasted time.

SO, if you want to know how to fix it:
Press ESC

That is all.

***EDIT***
I also had some other issues that were not solved by the ESC solution above. After pressing both CTRL buttons several times, both Windows Key buttons several times, and both ALT keys several times the problem went away again. Stuck keyboards FTW!
src.
The part within [] is by me.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

linike860

Post by linike860 »

I tried and this didn't change anything. I can drag and drop from file explorer to these applications, but not from XYplorer so I don't think an unregistered dll or a stuck keyboard is the issue here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, indeed I cannot drop a file into an open Notepad window (Win8.1). The drop cursor is there but nothing drops. Fascinating. I looked into this but ATM I don't see why it does not work.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

admin wrote:Well, indeed I cannot drop a file into an open Notepad window (Win8.1). The drop cursor is there but nothing drops. Fascinating. I looked into this but ATM I don't see why it does not work.
Hmm... guess it's a Windows 8 problem then. Running Windows 7 and it's working for me. Perhaps you can test it also with Windows 7 and confirm so at least we know whether it's an OS thing or not?

highend

Post by highend »

Funny, I can confirm that it doesn't work with Notepad on my system, too. I only tried Sublime Text before which is working fine as a drop target...

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

highend wrote:Funny, I can confirm that it doesn't work with Notepad on my system, too. I only tried Sublime Text before which is working fine as a drop target...
So we just need a couple more people who can confirm whether it works or not and whether they are using Wn 7 or 8.1. I guess we are safe to assume that your Windows Server 2012 R2 U1 is basically just Win 8.1 since it shares the same kernel afterall.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

W7 pro x64

Empty Notepad window, drag .txt into :arrow: opens file :D
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

highend

Post by highend »

I guess we are safe to assume that your Windows Server 2012 R2 U1 is basically just Win 8.1 since it shares the same kernel afterall.
Exactly.

@Don

Try the following:

Open a command prompt (NOT elevated)
Make sure, XY is not elevated, too

Code: Select all

%windir%\SysWOW64\notepad.exe
Try to drag and drop a .txt file

It works on my system (Notepad was started as a 32bit application).

If I use Notepad x64 (just start notepad normally) it doesn't work anymore.

So at least here it's a bitness issue...