Search tab is not restoring the column layout

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Mesh

Search tab is not restoring the column layout

Post by Mesh »

When I configure a column layout in the Search tab, it isn't preserved. The next time I do a search, the default column layout is used - not my modified version.

It used to be that I could set a column layout as the default for that view, but that's not the case anymore. I can save the layout to a file, and I can restore it to that file - but it should be preserved by default.

For what it's worth, I have the search configured to show results in the same pane.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Search tab is not restoring the column layout

Post by admin »

Maybe you ticked this?
Configuration | Find Files & Branch View | Find Files | Search results inherit current columns

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Good call - yes, that was ticked. And if I uncheck it, it behaves as expected.

But that brings up a different question - if the purpose of that item is to use the column set in use before triggering the search, why does the columns in Find mode deviate at all from the browse mode set?

For example, in Find mode, it was adding a Path column - which is fine, that's what I want. But since there was no Path column in browse mode, with that setting enabled, shouldn't it have kept the exact same column layout as the browse mode and left it out?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, the idea is that a user might want a different layout in find results than in normal browsing.

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Oh absolutely, and that's what I was trying to obtain - which requires that that configuration option is disabled. My point is that if that option is enabled, isn't its purpose to use the current browse layout?

Because either you want a search-specific layout (which makes the most sense, honestly), or you want the same layout as the browse mode. But with that option enabled, you get an odd hybrid that I'm not sure does any good.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's Browse columns + Path column. I don't find this so odd. :)

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Well, the path column is about a half inch wide for me, so I had to re-adjust it and move it all the way to the right every time.

But, no problem. Now that the issue is resolved, I'm good. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You show the path column in browse mode, then adjust the width to your liking, then hide it again. The new width (and position) will be stored and used in your next find results.

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Aha! One of those hidden tricks. Excellent, thank you!