Move file with duplicate in target folder Increment Error

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Zardoz2293

Move file with duplicate in target folder Increment Error

Post by Zardoz2293 »

If I have a file which has a number in it, such as a date and I move this file into a folder which has a duplicate file name (may or may not be identical), I'm presented with the option to move and keep both, which is the desired outcome. The result is however unexpected as the date within the file name is incremented. I'd expect to see to see the file moved into the target folder to be identical to its original with the Configuration > Colors and Styles > Templates > Filename Affixes > Increment affix to be utilized, and in my case that is the value ".BACKUP.01" would be added to the existing filename, like it is if I do a backup. Am I missing something?

File Move Example into Target Folder (Currently):
Subatomic timing of quantum particles (2013).docx
Subatomic timing of quantum particles (2014).docx <--- NOT GOOD!

File Move Example into Target Folder (Desired/Expected):
Subatomic timing of quantum particles (2013).docx
Subatomic timing of quantum particles (2013).BACKUP.01.docx

Thoughts, Feedback?
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

bdeshi

Re: Move file with dupe in target folder Increment Error

Post by bdeshi »

you using Windows Copy utility. that's not controlled by XY.
Proof: Try the same task in Windows Explorer.

Anyways, the problem should be solved (within XYplorer) by letting XYCopy handle it.
To do that, enable at least these settings in Config->File Operations : "Use Custom Copy" and "For All copy operations".

[also, to handle this issue during move operations, enable "For All move operations", and disable "For cross-volume moves only" ; all in the same config page.]
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Zardoz2293

Re: Move file with dupe in target folder Increment Error

Post by Zardoz2293 »

SammaySarkar wrote: [also, to handle this issue during move operations, enable "For All move operations", and disable "For cross-volume moves only" ; all in the same config page.]
That is what I thought I had, but my error was having "For cross-volume moves only" checked.

Thanks SammaySarkar! :D :appl: :D
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720