Delays XYplorer hangs

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
slimokanta

Delays XYplorer hangs

Post by slimokanta »

I am roaming with my notebook and change the network environment a lot. Very often XYplorer starts with delay of more then 10-20 Seconds. Sometimes XYplorer hangs for a long time when typing the first backslash \ in the "path textbox", when I want to reach a network ressource.

I tried a lot and spend a lot of hours with testing different config. The best tool I have seen for fiel manage, but hangs a lot. And I will not give up :)

What helped:
Options | Other | Features | Network Server Caching
Options | General | Startup & Exit | Not network browsind on startup
Options | General | Startup & Exit | Cache network servers
Using Minitree
Reset Minitree and Close all Tabs on Exit with Script Button On Click: #352; #516; #192;

But now every time I connect to a network share, all network servers I have ever reached are listed in the tree. I do not need the network server cache, but this is the only way to speed up XYplorer without these delays.

Question 1:
Is there a way to delete all cached network servers with a Function #Number, so I can add it to my Button I use for close.

Question 2:
Is there a way to start a Script on Exit. Somtetimes I forget to close XYplorer with the special button and next start up is delayed when I changed the network environment.

Question 3:
Is there a way to fix the Timeouts, when a path (network path) cannot be reached? Sometimes YXplorer hangs for more than 20 Seconds.
For example:
Typing \\192.168.0.253\temp (path does not exist) into the "path textbox" in XYplorer -> XYplorer hangs for 20 Seconds. Nothing else can be done.
Typing \\192.168.0.253\temp (path does not exist) into the "path textbox" in the Standard Windows Explorer on Windows 7 -> Explorer does not hang

Questioin 4:
When searching files no other Tab can be used. YXplorer does not hang, but the User has to wait, until the job is completed. On Click on an other Tab for working parallel, the search stoppes and abortes the job. The scan can not be continued and must be started from the beginning. This is not usable. Is there a way to search files and work with other Tabs?

Thanks a lot.

Papoulka

Re: Delays XYplorer hangs

Post by Papoulka »

When searching files no other Tab can be used. YXplorer does not hang, but the User has to wait, until the job is completed. On Click on an other Tab for working parallel, the search stoppes and abortes the job. The scan can not be continued and must be started from the beginning.
I run into the same problem. The XY Search facility is great but conflicts with or is interrupted by any other XY activity.

I also have long delay problems with my home LAN (two NAS drives). I and others have posted on this before. Even with optimum settings and tweaks, refresh delays of 20 sec are common; sometimes 1 minute or more. Windows Explorer doesn't do this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't get any delays while typing paths like "\\192.168.0.253\doesnotexist" into the address bar. Not a millisecond. Only when pressing ENTER on such path, but that cannot be changed and the length of that delay cannot be controlled by XYplorer.

Can you reproduce it with a fresh version? (http://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=fresh)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Papoulka wrote:
When searching files no other Tab can be used. YXplorer does not hang, but the User has to wait, until the job is completed. On Click on an other Tab for working parallel, the search stoppes and abortes the job. The scan can not be continued and must be started from the beginning.
I run into the same problem. The XY Search facility is great but conflicts with or is interrupted by any other XY activity.

I also have long delay problems with my home LAN (two NAS drives). I and others have posted on this before. Even with optimum settings and tweaks, refresh delays of 20 sec are common; sometimes 1 minute or more. Windows Explorer doesn't do this.
You can simply start a second instance of XYplorer if the search takes really long.

slimokanta

Post by slimokanta »

OK. But the advantage of XYPlorer is the possibility to use tabs instead of opening x instances.

So this is not a bug, but a wish.

Borut

Post by Borut »

admin wrote:I don't get any delays while typing paths like "\\192.168.0.253\doesnotexist" into the address bar. Not a millisecond. Only when pressing ENTER on such path, but that cannot be changed and the length of that delay cannot be controlled by XYplorer.
Well, after pressing ENTER, it is taking minutes. Too bad that you can not control this (no threads unfortunately, I guess). MS Explorer gives a completely other experience in these cases (I am currently testing it under WinXP).

Imagine opening a tabset whose tabs are pointing to various locations, whose drive was not mounted yet, or to other computers in the LAN, which are currently off... Then, wherever you go, whatever you do, you end up trying to kill XYplorer with a process manager, which itself does not work good, because XY is waiting on the answer from the OS.

No good at all. I am hating XYplorer in such moments.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Relax. I tried something. Check next beta.

Borut

Post by Borut »

Thanks a lot for your effort! I believe that this is a good direction.

Have tried some non-existing locations in a LAN and it is better now - a dialogue is IMHO a good solution. I shall test it more in the next days in a different environment.

Maybe it could be refined in two ways:
a) That a waiting time constant (maximal time before dialogue appearance) be tweakable.
b) That internally a list of places would be held, where the answer was "no, forget it" (with a saved time of answer), accompanied with another tweakable time constant. So each place that got the answer "no, forget it" would not be searched after at all inside some so defined time interval following the initial answer.

Another observation, which is not directly connected to this:

After loading a tabset and having in one of the tabs a location of the form X:\1\2\3\4\5\ where not even 1 exists (or for instance only up to and including 2 exist), every press on the warning icon brings the list of the existing leaf for a second or so (for instance the list of X:\ (or 2)) and then the same warning on the X:\1\2\3\4\ level appears.

IMHO it would be better to go directly to the existing leaf folder (X:\ (or X:\1\2\)) right after the first click of the warning triangle icon.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

a) not possible
b) to complex/confusing
c) yes, good idea

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Something is not ok. When I go one folder up from a network folder, I get the error message immediately: "The network location seems to be anavailable." However, when I click ok, XY goes one folder up correctly.

(By the way, the typing delay was always there after each pressed character, when I typed in a network location into the address bar. In the 0002 only one delay remained: \\thisis\n(delayhere)ot\real

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LittleBiG wrote:Something is not ok. When I go one folder up from a network folder, I get the error message immediately: "The network location seems to be anavailable." However, when I click ok, XY goes one folder up correctly.

(By the way, the typing delay was always there after each pressed character, when I typed in a network location into the address bar. In the 0002 only one delay remained: \\thisis\n(delayhere)ot\real
a) cannot repro

b) I disabled dropping the match list for UNC paths -- it's not a small price, but I'm fed up with these "hang" reports.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote: a) cannot repro
Probably because you don't have a slow corporate network with computers very far away from each other. Before 15.10.0002 at least I was able to navigate without the error message. :?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So, there is an available path now that will always pop the message?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote:So, there is an available path now that will always pop the message?
Actually, each going back invokes an error message.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Each going back? No matter to which path? :?