location unavailable though it's available

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
yusef88

location unavailable though it's available

Post by yusef88 »

happens specifically if the folder exists on desktop
Attachments
2014-09-30_234753.png
2014-09-30_234753.png (38.32 KiB) Viewed 3989 times

Stef123

Re: location unavailable though it's available

Post by Stef123 »

Happens here all the time. You're just a bit too fast with your clicking after file operations.
Sometimes I need to restart to get rid of the message.
Have not figured out the exact circumstances, but it seems more likely to happen when you multi-task with other programs.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hm. Never happens here. Let me know the steps if you find them.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

admin wrote:Let me know the steps if you find them.
Well, I do have some suspicions. Never mentioned it so far, because it does not happen on my notebook, so it's gotta be related to something outside XY. Also, it seems to occur less frequently than it did in the past. Maybe a side effect of other modifications? Whatever, will keep you posted.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Ha, it happened just now. And even better, I can reproduce it. Here's what I do:
1) I open a rar-file in XY which opens the file in another file manager and also passes the other pane to the that same file manager.
2) In the other manager, I copy a folder out of the zip, using F5 to copy to the other pane. This creates a new folder in the other pane, naturally.
3) Back in XY, when I access this new folder, I get the error message. I go up to the parent, down again, and once again down into the new folder. Same error. Have to quit XY and restart.

Don't think it matters what other manager I use, but I am not sure. No time for further testing right now.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

"... passes the other pane ..." means it passes the path of the other pane, I think?
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

PeterH wrote:"... passes the other pane ..." means it passes the path of the other pane, I think?
Yes, correct.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cannot repro. There must be other factors. How do you select that folder in XY?

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

admin wrote:Cannot repro. There must be other factors. How do you select that folder in XY?
Does not matter. Mouse or keyboard after coming back to XY via Alt-Tab and tab-switching to the other pane. Nor does it matter whether I access the folder with dbl-click or Enter-key. Same error. Cannot repro here at home, though. Maybe it has to do with too many other apps open, or maybe the generated folder has to be larger or ... :?:

Edit: It were interesting to hear from Yusef88 if he created his new folder outside of XY nor not?

macblair

Post by macblair »

I am having the same problem except for one difference. I recently started mounting drives in another drive folder as I had run out of drive letters. Now when I go to one of the mounted drives and go forward a few folders and then try to go back to the the previous pages, it says location not available. It only happens with the mounted drives, not the drives with drive letters. It is very annoying. Other than that and the fact you cannot lineup queues of moving or copying files, it is a fantastic program. I have tried four or five of them and I find this one the best. Espically being able to color code the files.

Regards, macblair

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the report, I will keep an eye on it.

acheton

Post by acheton »

Same problem here occasionally, but only in the last month or so.

Chris21

Post by Chris21 »

Same problem on my machine, but it happens quite frequently. A few times every day maybe and also on ordinary drives.

I'm running on Win 7 x64.

I seem to be able to reproduce it by doing the following steps:

- Create some empty folders (10 or more)
- Try to access each folder

I tried this 3 times and every time there is at least one folder I can't access because of this error. I have to restart XYplorer to access it again.

Maybe it is related to some installed AV software that lead to a lock while accessing the folder? Which conditions have to be met when you display this error? Maybe this helps isolating some factors.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How do you access the folders? Via Tree? If yes, mini or maxi tree?

Chris21

Post by Chris21 »

I'm using the two navigation panes.
Sorry, forgot to tell which AV software I'm using: Comodo Internet Security Premium.