Error "C:\ is currently hidden"

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Gandolf

Error "C:\ is currently hidden"

Post by Gandolf »

Ctrl+Shift+G and edit the path to display only the root (C:\) either by typing "C:\" or backspace to remove the sub-paths, then Enter.

Error "C:\ is currently hidden".

However, if I simply backspace to back up the directory structure "C:\" is displayed perfectly. Now, with "C:\" displayed, Ctrl+Shift+G, Enter (C:\ is already displayed as the destination) I get the "C:\ is currently hidden" error again even though the tab is actually displaying C:\!!!!

If I turn ON "Show hidden files and folders" it all works. But that does not explain why entering "C:\" does NOT work but backspacing to "C:\" DOES when "Show hidden files and folders" is OFF.

Looks like a bug to me.

John Bee

Re: Error "C:\ is currently hidden"

Post by John Bee »

I have tried all the above but I don't get this hidden problem. It all works fine here.

5.50.004 and Win2K

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

I had the "G:\ is currently hidden" error when I created a catalog favourite pointing at G:\ and then clicked on it. However after using Ctrl-Shift-G to go to G:\ and getting the error again, I went Ctrl-Shift-G to C:\, which worked. Trying both tests again resulted in no errors, and even after restarting XYplorer (and updating from .50.0004 to .50.0005) I can't reproduce either error.
test everything. hold on to the good.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Happens when you enter "C:/"... (forward slash). Should I correct this user sloppiness?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

:? I still can't get it to fail...even using forward slash, it works fine...
so... since getting a error is not user friendly, thus..auto-fixing a simple wrong keystroke would be better...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote::? I still can't get it to fail...
Uncheck "Show Hidden Files and Folders"...

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I had turned that off in order to try it out! :wink: Didn't make any difference if off or on.

Had a typical folder in tab...did Cntl+Shft+G, and typed "C:/" in after clearing entire current entry
...XY went to my Desktop just fine!
However, I do have a few shortcuts on my Desktop (for my "user" logon) so maybe that's what makes it work correctly?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

admin wrote:Happens when you enter "C:/"... (forward slash). Should I correct this user sloppiness?
That's definately not the cause of my bugs. The first time I created a root drive catalog item by removing the tail of an existing path.
admin wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote::? I still can't get it to fail...
Uncheck "Show Hidden Files and Folders"...
This seems to be the cause. But it doesn't make sense that I can click on G:\ in the tree with no problem, or a category item pointing to a folder in G:\, but not a category item pointing to the root G:\.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:But it doesn't make sense that I can click on G:\ in the tree with no problem, or a category item pointing to a folder in G:\, but not a category item pointing to the root G:\.
Cannot reproduce any problem here with the Catalog. :?

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

It happens to me only when "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is unchecked.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:It happens to me only when "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is unchecked.
To me never.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Ok I take that back. Now it's the other way 'round, doing it only when "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is *checked*.

Then I tried creating a catalog item for C:\, and it worked, and G:\ worked again - but the behaviour switched again so now it only bugs out when "Show Hidden Files and Folders" is *unchecked*.

Testing more, I got the behaviour to switch again, I think by some combination of clicking the root items and toggling "Show Hidden Files and Folders", but I can't seem to switch it a fourth time... I can't work out what the pattern is.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

The problem I have only occurs with certain ini files so it's something in the ini settings that are effecting it. I've e-mailed one of the problem ini files to Donald but I don't have the time at the moment to try to investigate further.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:The problem I have only occurs with certain ini files so it's something in the ini settings that are effecting it. I've e-mailed one of the problem ini files to Donald but I don't have the time at the moment to try to investigate further.
That did it. Got it. Fixed it. Thanks!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Code: Select all

! If "Show system files and folders" was OFF, you could not go to 
      root drives via Go To, Catalog, etc. This is, because -- weirdly! 
      -- drives have the SYSTEM and the HIDDEN attribute set, at least 
      under XP. Fixed
So that's why I couldn't get it to fail! It was a XP thing...and I'm on W2K...oh, well...maybe someday I'll get to XP. :roll: