XY can't cancel 'File in use' error (Explorer can)

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Papoulka

XY can't cancel 'File in use' error (Explorer can)

Post by Papoulka »

To see this:

• Open MS word and create a .doc file somewhere convenient, like C:\Temp. Save it there, but keep it open in Word. Navigate to that file with Windows Explorer and attempt to edit the filename. A "File In Use" warning will pop up, offering "Try Again" or "Cancel". Click on "Cancel". The warning will vanish AND the file rename attempt will be automatically abandoned.

• Now navigate there with XY, and attempt to edit the filename. The same warning will pop up BUT clicking on "Cancel" will not abort the renaming, which will remain incomplete in XY. So if you click again in that list pane, the warning will reappear etc. The only way to break from this loop is to navigate away from that folder, with the rename still apparently in progress.

That's semi-ungood, but a further complication is that during these iterations the warning can pop up behind XY. You can still navigate away, and it will appear that you've broken the loop, but XY will not be fully functional e.g. it won't be able to rename anything (since an unfinished rename is in progress).

And the lock may not be from something as obvious as Word. Many small utilities and apps seem to cause this. Overall it's enough of a hassle that I thought I'd raise the issue here.

Thanks

bdeshi

Re: XY can't cancel 'File in use' error (Explorer can)

Post by bdeshi »

Press Escape?
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Papoulka

Post by Papoulka »

That works about half the time, as does trying to navigate away. It depends on when you do it.

However, the main point is that "Cancel" doesn't work as it should. If it also failed under Explorer then I take this as a "Windows thing", but that's not the case.

Doesn't what I described in my first post happen for you too? For everyone?

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Papoulka wrote:However, the main point is that "Cancel" doesn't work as it should. ... Doesn't what I described in my first post happen for you too? For everyone?
I get that popup when renaming fails, and pressing cancel goes back to rename. I've learned to live with it. :)
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

sinilill

Post by sinilill »

have you tried holding down the ESC key?

Papoulka

Post by Papoulka »

Holding down Escape does work more often than just pressing Escape, but it depends on what program is locking the file. And because it's non-standard in Windows, developers don't guard against it. For example, if the lock was due to a rename attempt in Everything (the search tool), pressing and holding Escape will cancel the rename AND exit from Everything.

In XY, clicking on "Cancel" should cancel the operation. Further - as an improvement and if it is possible - force the warning window to the top. These two things would really help with the "file locked" loops that occur now.

[edited re holding Escape]