"Location currently not available" on mapped network drive

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
xmatx

"Location currently not available" on mapped network drive

Post by xmatx »

Hello,

I'm new to xyplorer (great program!) and cannot browse my mapped network drive (which runs Samba on FreeNAS, with no authentication).

xyplorer says "Location not available" but Windows Explorer and every other Explorer replacement i have tried can read the contents fine.

I even coded a simple loop using the Windows API commands FindFirstFile and FindNextFile and there are no difficulties. For instance, the code at http://stackoverflow.com/a/2315808 works fine.

Does anyone know why xyplorer (13.60) cannot browse this mapped drive? FYI, I tried the network server caching option which did not help.

Thanks,
Mat

admin
Site Admin

Re: "Location currently not available" on mapped network dri

Post by admin »

Hm, if FindFirstFile works then it should work in XY. It might be the Samba server. Does it help if you tick this?
Configuration | Controls and More | Miscellaneous | Assume that servers are available

xmatx

Post by xmatx »

It did not work immediately but i quit xyplorer and started it again and that option appears to have fixed it, i'm now browsing my network drive!

Thank you very much for the help!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

xmatx wrote:Thank you very much for the help!
Hi and welcome to the XY forums!

Hope that you noticed just how quickly you recieved a reply here, and it was from Don as well...that's one thing we pride ourselves on here is prompt responses..now it won't always be that quick or by the author but it's not unusual either.

BTW, there have been other prior threads about similar issues so hope that you'd searched/looked at some of those before you posted...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you please run this through the address bar (replace "\\Server" by your Samba server):

Code: Select all

exist "\\Server";
(Needs Scripting enabled)

xmatx

Post by xmatx »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Hope that you noticed just how quickly you recieved a reply here, and it was from Don as well...that's one thing we pride ourselves on here is prompt responses..now it won't always be that quick or by the author but it's not unusual either.

BTW, there have been other prior threads about similar issues so hope that you'd searched/looked at some of those before you posted...
I have spent hours today looking through posts and did not see this solution. As you can see from my post, i even coded my own routine to try to debug what was happening. I agree the support is fantastic, and i apologise if the solution was obvious. Thanks for the help!
admin wrote:Could you please run this through the address bar (replace "\\Server" by your Samba server):

exist "\\Server";
(Needs Scripting enabled)
It gives:

Does "\\FREENAS" exist? 

ExistFile: False
ExistPath: False
ExistFolder: True
ExistItemFF: False
ExistPathFF: False
ExistPathOrFile: False
ExistPathOrFileShell: True
ExistIcon: True
ExistItemUNC: True
GetItemType: 4
It is also giving the same results if i turn off the "assume that servers are available" option, and it is browsing the drive fine now with that option turned off.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you. The next version will give better results on "exist \\server". There are also some tweaks that could be relevant here. Let's continue this after the next beta release.

xmatx

Post by xmatx »

No problem, i'm glad to assist any way i can. I'll keep a close eye on it and see what happens but for now it is working perfectly. Thanks again!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

xmatx wrote:I have spent hours today looking through posts and did not see this solution. As you can see from my post, i even coded my own routine to try to debug what was happening. I agree the support is fantastic, and i apologise if the solution was obvious. Thanks for the help!
Based on what you'd written in OP first, I presumed that you'd researched it but since you didn't explicitly say so, wanted to verify because we have a lot of first-timers who aren't as thorough...and based on what Don has writen, the solution was likely not obvious so no apologies needed but appreciated.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

xmatx

Post by xmatx »

This is interesting (or perhaps not!). I tried reinstalling xyplorer to duplicate the problem, and indeed it fails to read the drive contents again. This time the exists output is slightly different:

Does "\\FREENAS" exist? 

ExistFile: False
ExistPath: False
ExistFolder: True
ExistItemFF: False
ExistPathFF: False
ExistPathOrFile: False
ExistPathOrFileShell: False
ExistIcon: False
ExistItemUNC: True
GetItemType: 4
Enabling the "assume that servers are available" option again fixes the issue so everything is fine again here but just letting you know.

xmatx

Post by xmatx »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
xmatx wrote:I have spent hours today looking through posts and did not see this solution. As you can see from my post, i even coded my own routine to try to debug what was happening. I agree the support is fantastic, and i apologise if the solution was obvious. Thanks for the help!
Based on what you'd written in OP first, I presumed that you'd researched it but since you didn't explicitly say so, wanted to verify because we have a lot of first-timers who aren't as thorough...and based on what Don has writen, the solution was likely not obvious so no apologies needed but appreciated.
That's ok, i appreciate the welcome too. Thank you!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

xmatx wrote:No problem, i'm glad to assist any way i can. I'll keep a close eye on it and see what happens but for now it is working perfectly. Thanks again!
Are you still there? I'd like to check something and you could help me with. Some of your shares do not show, right? There is a tweak that might improve the situation...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:
xmatx wrote:No problem, i'm glad to assist any way i can. I'll keep a close eye on it and see what happens but for now it is working perfectly. Thanks again!
Are you still there? I'd like to check something and you could help me with. Some of your shares do not show, right? There is a tweak that might improve the situation...
OK, is anybody here who thinks that XY does not show all the shares?

xmatx

Post by xmatx »

admin wrote:
I can see them listed in the tree, it is when i click on them that i cannot browse them (unless "assume that servers are available" is ticked). If that is what you mean then i'm happy to test!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, okay. In that case there is nothing to do right now. :)