Named Drives

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
TheQwerty

Named Drives

Post by TheQwerty »

1) They aren't working when the list is in Drives mode. Entering 'Local Disk:\' into the address bar results in a 'Create Location?' dialog. EDIT: It seems Quick DOS/Shell Commands also does not work here - though I suppose that makes some sense since the CWD would not be valid.

2) There is no requirement that volume labels are unique so how does XY choose between 'Removable Disk' mounted at 'E:' and 'Removable Disk' at 'G:'? Further, is there any way to get to the other one(s)? EDIT: Aside from using the drive letter(s). ;)

3) '@', '!', and '%' are valid characters in a volume label.
'@a:\' takes you to the volume named '@a' unless '@a:\' is defined as an alias.
'!dir:\' runs an invalid DOS command instead of taking you to the volume named '!dir'.
With environment variable 'MyDrive' set to 'Q', '%MyDrive%:\' takes the user to 'Q:\' instead of the volume named '%MyDrive%' (which is okay if the volume mounted at 'Q:' is named '%MyDrive%').

It's rather unusual and maybe marking them as improper user configuration is fine, but in the very least there should be a mention in the Named Drives documentation.

4) Named drives do not work when using multiple locations in a Quick Name Search - though they do via Find Files.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Named Drives

Post by admin »

You enjoy looking for trouble, right? :biggrin:

1) :om: "Local Disk" is not a volume label but a generic label for unnamed local drives.
2) :om: I did not know that. It will return the first match (A-Z).
3) :om: Whoever does this deserves it.
4) :bug: Finally a real bug, thanks.

Thanks for thorough testing with a beta-tester's mindset. Yes, I'm overloading to the extreme, and you are poking your finger right into it.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:1) :om: "Local Disk" is not a volume label but a generic label for unnamed local drives.
2) :om: I did not know that. It will return the first match (A-Z).
3) :om: Whoever does this deserves it.
4) :bug: Finally a real bug, thanks.
1) That it is a generic label does not matter - if I'm browsing Computer, the list is in Drive mode, and typing a named drive into the address bar does not work.
2) "A-Z" being the drive letters, or are you telling me it will take the first match alphabetically - which means random since they are equivalent strings. :P
3) Sure, but again, it would be nice if it were documented.
4) You're welcome.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) Yup, right! :whistle:
2) Yes, "A-Z" being the drive letters.

PS: Next version I'll make it optional: "Support volume labels in paths". Feature will be called Volume Label Paths (VLP).

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

TheQwerty wrote:1) They aren't working when the list is in Drives mode. Entering 'Local Disk:\' into the address bar results in a 'Create Location?' dialog. EDIT: It seems Quick DOS/Shell Commands also does not work here - though I suppose that makes some sense since the CWD would not be valid.
I experienced the same in drives mode and reported in the Reviews section.
I must have restarted and tried it in browse mode, thinking it fixed it :whistle: .
Anyway, good to know i was not alone.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, good. It will work next time you try it.