multi-monitor: show xy on correct taskbar?

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
highend

Re: multi-monitor: show xy on correct taskbar?

Post by highend »

rtb; works fine on my dual-monitor setup!

XY is pinned on the taskbar -> The mini task bar icon is always on the first monitor. Normal behavior
When XY is open, the mini icon expands to a normal window entry in the task bar (on the first monitor)

When I now move XY to the second monitor and execute rtb; the mini task bar icon is restored to it's unexpanded state, while XY get's his window entry in the task bar on the second monitor. Moving it back to the first, rtb; mini icon -> expanded, window entry in the task bar on the second -> vanishes.

So -> rtb; works great -> Implement it as default please :)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you move XY to the second monitor, what is the exact moment when the icon should move to the other taskbar? Is it when more than half of the window is on the other monitor? Or when you release the mouse?

highend

Post by highend »

Windows default behavior is: The taskbar entry is moved when
a.) The mouse is released (not during the drag itself!)
and
b.) The window has 51% of it's width on that monitor

This is for W 8.1, I don't use Win 10 on a production machine (I'm not crazy^^) and the Hyper-V implementation on my system doesn't allow VM's with a multi-monitor setup -> Can't test if that behavior changed with Win 10

mitchmenghi

Post by mitchmenghi »

highend wrote:Windows default behavior is: The taskbar entry is moved when
a.) The mouse is released (not during the drag itself!)
and
b.) The window has 51% of it's width on that monitor

This is for W 8.1, I don't use Win 10 on a production machine (I'm not crazy^^) and the Hyper-V implementation on my system doesn't allow VM's with a multi-monitor setup -> Can't test if that behavior changed with Win 10
Not entirely accurate, you can essentially click and drag a window and when its %51 over you will automatically see the icon show on the opposite taskbar meaning that if you let go of the mouse or minimize maximize its on that monitor... you dont need to release the mouse button for the icon to show.

NOTE: Ive just edited this post because i reread what highend said, im using Windows10 so the behaviour may be a little different that Windows 8..... thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I'll try it in the next beta. It's not totally easy... :maf:

highend

Post by highend »

Taskbar repositioning by dragging works fine in v16.90.0103 but there is one thing missing:

Windows (at least since Win 7) supports Win+Cursor left / right keyboard shortcuts to move windows around and using a predefined space (at borders 1/2 of the screensize). When you send XY to the e.g. right monitor with Win+Cursor right * x, the taskbar entry doesn't change. Can you add this please?

mitchmenghi

Post by mitchmenghi »

Slightly offtopic where can i download beta from im still using .100 thanks.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

mitchmenghi wrote:Slightly offtopic where can i download beta from im still using .100 thanks.
Board Index/Beta Versions...
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

mitchmenghi

Post by mitchmenghi »

RalphM wrote:
mitchmenghi wrote:Slightly offtopic where can i download beta from im still using .100 thanks.
Board Index/Beta Versions...
:tup:

mitchmenghi

Post by mitchmenghi »

admin wrote:OK, I'll try it in the next beta. It's not totally easy... :maf:
I had a look at .103 beta and its almost there actually i dont mind how it works now the only difference is that W10 automatically shows the icon when 51% of the dialog box is across the monitor where as what you have done is once mouse click is let go it will show... the end result is the same however.

If this is how it has to be i think you have achieved what everyone has been asking for :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote:Taskbar repositioning by dragging works fine in v16.90.0103 but there is one thing missing:

Windows (at least since Win 7) supports Win+Cursor left / right keyboard shortcuts to move windows around and using a predefined space (at borders 1/2 of the screensize). When you send XY to the e.g. right monitor with Win+Cursor right * x, the taskbar entry doesn't change. Can you add this please?
I tried hard but failed. Could not detect any useful Windows message to capture this event.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:
highend wrote:Taskbar repositioning by dragging works fine in v16.90.0103 but there is one thing missing:

I tried hard but failed. Could not detect any useful Windows message to capture this event.
:shock: Not even move/resize events?
I'm away from Windows today or I'd check but it really seems hard to believe they'd screw it up that badly.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

move/resize events are there, but they also fire all the time *while* moving/sizing a form. I was looking for something that fires when the move is complete.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Are you not using these events? https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx

WM_MOVE, WM_SIZE, WM_EXITSIZEMOVE, and WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGED all sound like they only get fired after - compared to the *ING versions.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:Are you not using these events? https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx

WM_MOVE, WM_SIZE, WM_EXITSIZEMOVE, and WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGED all sound like they only get fired after - compared to the *ING versions.
Sure, tried them all.

WM_MOVE, WM_SIZE are fired all the time.
WM_EXITSIZEMOVE is what I use for dragging. Not fired on Win+Arrow snap move.
WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGED is fired all the time.