Quick Name Search Info - does not appear!

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
petersboulton

Quick Name Search Info - does not appear!

Post by petersboulton »

Just updated to 13.30 and switched the 'Name Search Info' on as described on the 'Whats New' page but I don't see that pink bar which shows the search info, ever. Either before or after I've run the search.

Also, previously if I use a keyboard shortcut to bring the search panel up the 'Name' field had the input focus, which was nice because I could just start typing my search criterion. Now it no longer has focus and one has to click on it to enter the search criterion. Possibly a small point but rather annoying from a user perspective! (From this user's perspective at least! :kidding: )

My first point may be my misunderstanding (or alternatively a bug) but it would be great if the focus could be restored to working as previously - i.e. the 'Name' field has the focus.

Thanks!

Pete

Borut

Re: Quick Name Search Info - does not appear!

Post by Borut »

petersboulton wrote:Just updated to 13.30 and switched the 'Name Search Info' on as described on the 'Whats New' page but I don't see that pink bar which shows the search info, ever.
Also not after Edit > Quick Name Search ?

Edit:

@Don

BTW, would it not be practical to be able to invoke the Edit Search by simply clicking (or possibly double clicking) on that new line/space in the list (in addition to the right click menu and shortcuts)?
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

petersboulton wrote:Also, previously if I use a keyboard shortcut to bring the search panel up the 'Name' field had the input focus, which was nice because I could just start typing my search criterion. Now it no longer has focus and one has to click on it to enter the search criterion. Possibly a small point but rather annoying from a user perspective!
Oh, damn! Important usablilty bug! Thanks for noting. Fix comes.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Borut wrote:BTW, would it not be practical to be able to invoke the Edit Search by simply clicking (or possibly double clicking) on that new line/space in the list (in addition to the right click menu and shortcuts)?
Yes, there are many options. I will wait a bit with complications until the dust settles...

petersboulton

Post by petersboulton »

Hi Don,

I think the lack of pink bar may be my misunderstanding. I thought it related to the detailed 'Find Files' panel - apologies for my confusion.

However, when I bring 'Find Files' up using my keyboard shortcut there is definitely a different focus from previously - it seems to give focus to the list view (and type ahead mode) whereas, given I've brought up the 'Find Files' pane, it would seem better to retain the original behaviour and give focus to the 'Name:' field.

Thanks for responding so quickly - most appreciated!

Pete

jacksonmacd

Post by jacksonmacd »

Was similarly confused by the lack of the Pink bar. The What's New page shows its linkage with the F3 key, which I had never been in the habit of using. So I was completely confused when the results of the Find dialog appeared upon pressing F3. Re-configured my office computer to assign F3 onto Quick Name Search, but was unsuccessfully trying to do the same thing on my home computer.

Suggestion: assign the Quick Name Search to its own keyboard shortcut (eg. just like the Visual Filter which worked perfectly with the Ctrl-J shortcut). Keep it independent of the existing F3 assignment.

These two tools look immensely powerful, and I intend to develop the habit to use them. Thanks VERY much for your continual updates. And don't interpret this comment as a complaint or a call to a quick fix -- just verifying another user's experience.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacksonmacd wrote:Suggestion: assign the Quick Name Search to its own keyboard shortcut (eg. just like the Visual Filter which worked perfectly with the Ctrl-J shortcut). Keep it independent of the existing F3 assignment.
F3 is by factory default assigned to Quick Name Search. I will try to make the What's New text a bit clearer.