Freezing during drive spin-up

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
zer0

Freezing during drive spin-up

Post by zer0 »

Anyone who has a modern external HDD knows that it spins down during times of inactivity. Going the other way, it is getting really annoying how XYplorer pretty much freezes/goes into a non-responding state whenever I select a tab that points to a drive which has spun down (also applies to internals). This selection causes a drive to spin up again, but it can take up to 20 secs to do so, during which I cannot use the app at all. If I then select another tab with a spun down drive -- bear in mind that I have no way of knowing a drive has spun down until the "freeze" confirms it -- the situation repeats itself.

Now I don't know if to solve this problem you will need to fork out a separate process per tab like modern browsers do, but I hope you will do something. Up to 20 secs a pop with multiple drives several times a day adds up to more "let's check Twitter" time than my productivity would like.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Re: Freezing during drive spin-up

Post by admin »

You also get the freeze with auto refresh OFF?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:You also get the freeze with auto refresh OFF?
Yes, I do.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hm. Needs deeper research.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:Hm. Needs deeper research.
I will leave it in your capable hands then. Just as a side note though, I hope that it will not end up being a trade-off whereby I sacrifice auto-refresh being on for the app not freezing.
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:Hm. Needs deeper research.
I will leave it in your capable hands then. Just as a side note though, I hope that it will not end up being a trade-off whereby I sacrifice auto-refresh being on for the app not freezing.
You said it also happens with AR on, so why should there be such a trade-off?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:
zer0 wrote:Just as a side note though, I hope that it will not end up being a trade-off whereby I sacrifice auto-refresh being on for the app not freezing.
You said it also happens with AR on, so why should there be such a trade-off?
I'm just making sure. I would have been cheesed off if you fixed it for "AR off" scenario and then said to me that having AR on is what triggers a drive spin-up, so I have to make do with AR being off.
Windows 7/10

zer0

Post by zer0 »

May I ask if you've had any luck tracking down the problem? It is a very frequent occurrence for me, so I am more than just a concerned citizen.
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not yet. And there is no date.

autocart

Post by autocart »

I know, the description of your problem, zer0, is not exactly the same, but do you have the setting "Refresh, Icons, History" / Cache specific icons checked on?
I say this because I just had a similar problem: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10710

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Having recently done a significant re-org of files on my external hard drives, I was reminded just how inconvenient XY freezing during drive spin-up was. I am not sure whether compartmentalising things by having each tab running in a separate process (ala Google Chrome) would be possible, but something has got to be done.
Windows 7/10

zer0

Post by zer0 »

In a related incident, the timer for how long it takes to perform backupto() starts immediately on execution. If there is a drive spin-up involved, it can skew the results like so...
bad results.JPG
bad results.JPG (19.3 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, I'll check that.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

For the record, the need for this (spin-off of individual tabs into their separate processes) has not gone away and, in fact, increased due to having a greater number of simultaneously-connected external USB drives via a hub.
Windows 7/10

zer0

Post by zer0 »

By the way, I still want this. While I am in the process of consolidating the number of external drives I have, the problem will not go away. Per-tab processes are nothing new, they have been in web browsers for years.
Windows 7/10