Lazy auto-refresh

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
LittleBiG

Lazy auto-refresh

Post by LittleBiG »

I have noticed a refreshing issue in the list, which has never occurred before. Using WinZip to compress something, the temporary file remains in the list, I have to refresh manually to show the compressed file instead. But the bigger problem was that I extracted files, then copied to a place for somebody else. Then I received the complaint why I didn't provide all necessary files. I checked the folder, then I had a hunch and clicked on the refresh button. The "missing" file appeared immediately! I tried to extract the files more times. I seldom get all extracted files in the list view, one or two was always missing. I think it is unacceptable, that I always have to click on Refresh button, if I want to be sure that I am really watching all files in the folder with auto-refresh on.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Lazy auto-refresh

Post by admin »

OS?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Win7 x64

(I got only 2 files from 6 last time I tried :-O)

Edit: Additional information, that I had 2 zip files and I extracted them in parallel by clicking on Extract here on the first one, then immediately on the second one.
Last edited by LittleBiG on 04 Nov 2013 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cannot reproduce. Very difficult to track since it may well depend on the version of WinZip.

Are you sure that it is new? (Download 13.10.0100 to check)

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

I have just tried 0100. I did it more than ten times, with complete success. It is a repetative task of mine to extract these files, that is why I am sure it is something new.

I need to check the description of betas, because as if you have changed something recently in this refreshing topic.

EDIT: Couldn't be the beta 0120 the culprit?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, probably 0120, will check later.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I installed WinZip 17.5 on my Win7/64 system -- let me add that this was the worst trial version experience I had in many years, they made every mistake possible to generate a negative attitude in the user right from the beginning, WOW, this is even worse than Adobe! -- and I cannot reproduce the issue. I also looked at the code and cannot see how the changes in 13.10.0120 could possible relate to WinZip.

So, can anybody else repro LittleBig's issue?

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

admin wrote:OK, I installed WinZip 17.5 on my Win7/64 system -- let me add that this was the worst trial version experience I had in many years, they made every mistake possible to generate a negative attitude in the user right from the beginning, WOW, this is even worse than Adobe! -- and I cannot reproduce the issue. I also looked at the code and cannot see how the changes in 13.10.0120 could possible relate to WinZip.

So, can anybody else repro LittleBig's issue?
Nope, I'd rather live with a bug than have Corel's bloated junk on my machine. (No offense LittleBiG, I hate what they did to WinZip)

Refresh is working as expected.
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Ah, Nighted, I didn't take it as an offense. I don't like it either. But this was in our software repository for extracting. I am going to switch to a freeware which meets the company regulations. By the way, I have version 9.0 SR-1.

Still it is a mystery. I have to do this at least once (but rather more times) in a month for more than a year. There weren't any problems until now.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LittleBiG wrote:Still it is a mystery. I have to do this at least once (but rather more times) in a month for more than a year. There weren't any problems until now.
You can log the events that are causing an auto-refresh in XYplorer.

1. Switch on the logger and output to debuglog:
::logchange 5;

2. (Do what you got to do to) Let the action happen.

3. Show the debuglog:
::text get("debuglog");

I might be to solve the mystery if I see the logged events...

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

LittleBiG wrote:Still it is a mystery. I have to do this at least once (but rather more times) in a month for more than a year. There weren't any problems until now.
Hmmm...I have noticed something similar but it is not as chronic as you have reported.

I use WinRAR. I have it set to delete items once the archive is created. Sometimes XY does not refresh the list and the archived items are still visible until a manual refresh.
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.