Zip Context Menu

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Trasd

Zip Context Menu

Post by Trasd »

I finally got around (to trying) to reinstall the Android development environment after my hard drive crash and I ran into a problem (I hesitate to call something a bug until it is confirmed). When I went to the development site, I discovered Google has prepackaged everything needed (IDE and all) to write Android apps. I don't plan on using that package, but I downloaded it to take a look.

File Specs (as reported by XYplorer):
Name: adt-bundle-windows-x86-20130917.zip
Size: 470,512 KB
URL: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Problem:
When I right click on this file to get the context menu, XYplorer never shows the menu and quits responding. The problem is reproducible and did the same thing in XYplorer version 12.80. The problem also exist if the file is part of a multiple selection list.

XYplorer's context menu works correctly on other archived files (ZIP, RAR, 7z, etc.). The file (adt-bundle-windows-x86-20130917) unzips correctly (no errors) and the context menu works in MS Explorer. Given all this, I still re-downloaded the file and retested it; same problem.

Steps to Reproduce:
  • Download the file
  • Right click on the file within XYplorer
Troubleshoot Steps (nothing worked):
  • Renamed the file to "test.zip"
  • Re-downloaded file (as above)
  • Tested the file with MS Explorer (as above)
  • Rebooted system
  • Tried a "clean" XYplorer install
  • Confirmed ZIP files do not have an XYplorer custom association
My System Specs:
Computer: Dell Dimension 4600 (yes, I'm still in the dark ages)

Can someone please confirm this problem. Also, I am open to suggestions and will try different ideas to help figure this out.

Thanks!
Trasd

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A.C.C.

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J. M.

Marco

Re: Zip Context Menu

Post by Marco »

It's on my download queue (from http://dl.google.com/android/adt/adt-bu ... 130917.zip , for those who want the direct link).
The preallocated file on my HDD is 481,803,289 bytes, can you confirm that it's the right size? Can you also give some hashes to check the integrity?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you try to untick this:
Configuration | Menus, Mouse, Safety | Context Menus | Hide shell extensions from shell context menu

Marco

Post by Marco »

Code: Select all

CRC-32   9a0cb664
MD5      5d6c79a47c8b47170cff3d231dcf7ad3
SHA-1    abedded9ee3c9245a70c945a570e186133df141b
SHA-256  5d17d72099fa6f830da2da5011d044a1b394ae82f9f34ae253bfffdfe2ced9b4
SHA-512  75f797b5316034749f62ad3011c842c366b3485a80863a29a66342a70fb18d3862f3574f4f2b711e718ff6829a5454f67309763c10d60e77484d1e5d5d34db7f
Ok, just tested on W7 x64 SP1.
Upon right click, you can see for a short moment the blue circle of wait, then nothing. However, as soon as you move the pointer, the context menu appears.
HTH

PS: done with a cold booted, non-fresh XY. On subsequent right clicks the context menu shows instantly.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

Well, the reason I hesitate to call anything a bug until it's confirmed:

When I right clicked on Eclipse's ZIP file, there was a long delay (long in computer terms, about 5 seconds).

OK, so maybe I didn't wait long enough! I right clicked on the Android SDK Bundle file again and waited...

...and waited...
...and waited...

...took about 15-20 seconds.

Then, the context menu flashed briefly and disappeared. I re-verified a few times.

XYplorer is not not responding (I liked typing that), but my context menu only flashes and goes away - moving my mouse does not help.
Trasd

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J. M.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can confirm the delay with that file. But it's not a bug. It's just a huge archive and certain processes take time on a slow computer.

I will do something to skip time consuming processes for certain files....

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

admin wrote:I can confirm the delay with that file. But it's not a bug. It's just a huge archive and certain processes take time on a slow computer.

I will do something to skip time consuming processes for certain files....
Thanks Don.

Ah, but I never called it a bug! :biggrin:

Irrelevant of the delay, does your context menu disappear (or not show up at all)?
Trasd

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It appears. In v13.10.0111 it appears at once.

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

admin wrote:It appears. In v13.10.0111 it appears at once.
Thanks Don. Sorry, I have been away from my PC so I haven't been able to test further this weekend.
Trasd

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

The fix tested perfectly.

Again Don, thanks.

As always, your response was swift and decisive, and I don't know if you are told enough, but your diligence and devotion is greatly appreciated. Sure, I paid for a license, but most other developers' concern becomes limited at that point.

I have never regretted purchasing a "Lifetime License Pro (including free upgrades forever)." It was worth every penny. :appl:
Trasd

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Trasd wrote:As always, your response was swift and decisive, and I don't know if you are told enough, but your diligence and devotion is greatly appreciated. Sure, I paid for a license, but most other developers' concern becomes limited at that point.

I have never regretted purchasing a "Lifetime License Pro (including free upgrades forever)." It was worth every penny. :appl:
That's why for the last few years, at Christmas time or near it, I've sent a small donation o Don via PayPal as an extra "thanks" for the updates that year...and I've suggested others do it if they feel so inclined.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Trasd

Post by Trasd »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
Trasd wrote:As always, your response was swift and decisive, and I don't know if you are told enough, but your diligence and devotion is greatly appreciated. Sure, I paid for a license, but most other developers' concern becomes limited at that point.

That's why for the last few years, at Christmas time or near it, I've sent a small donation o Don via PayPal as an extra "thanks" for the updates that year...and I've suggested others do it if they feel so inclined.
Nice gesture.

It's no wonder you know XY so well j_c, I just noticed your join date!
Trasd

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Trasd wrote:It's no wonder you know XY so well j_c, I just noticed your join date!
Well, I have been here for a while -but- I don't know XY as well as I used to -- because it's gotten SO advanced that I can't keep up with it and there are so many features that I don't need/use so I try and be the one who helps newbies and cross-references posts/threads as needed.

And as to donations: Given the extraordinary effort that Don gives us here, I think he's really deserving of a small gift annually for all the improvements that has helped me that year.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.