Delete Junction confusion

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Evolve

Delete Junction confusion

Post by Evolve »

Configuration | General | Safety Belts, Network | Safety Belts | [x] Confirm delete operations

If you try to delete a junction with the regular delete (2) or the keyboard Del button, the confirmation dialog says that you're about to delete all the files inside the target folder which is incorrect. The only thing that gets deleted is the junction itself.
RegularDelete.png
RegularDelete.png (12.32 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Also "Delete Junction..." (1) misleads to the same conclusion that the regular "Delete" (2) is somehow different and therefore must delete the target folder.
JunctionMenu.png
JunctionMenu.png (35.03 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Fixing the first part is obvious: replace the confirmation dialog for junctions with "Delete Junction?..." one.
I see two possible improvements of the second part:
- Just remove "Delete Junction...", it is redundant and confusing.
- Keep it but add its counter i.e "Delete Junction and Target" and/or (if possible) even more useful "Delete Target with all Junctions" (and warn of what they do in the popups as well).

PeterH

Re: Delete Junction confusion

Post by PeterH »

Remember this was as old Windows, at least Win XP, worked.
My wish at that time was that XY just delete the junction and leave the rest as is, but Don said users might be "irritated" by that.

As XY notifies users on delete of a junction, it could be able to delete it save, i.e. without deleting it's contained objects - as current windows does. (As XY does now for Junction/Delete Junction. Then this command wouldn't be neccessary any more.)
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tricky. In Win XP the shell delete killed everything, the junction and its target. I was bitten hard by this once and I guess that shock brought me to pop those warnings. You never know what the next Windows version will do.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Evolve wrote: 15 Aug 2022 10:03 Fixing the first part is obvious: replace the confirmation dialog for junctions with "Delete Junction?..." one.
I did this now if it is Win8 or later. I'm not sure about Win7 and I'm sure WinXP would just destroy everything.

I will keep the "Delete Junction..." commands. It looks like they do the same thing as the plain Delete command in modern Windows, but under the hood they use a different method, and this difference might become handy when the next Windows changes the rules again.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote: 18 Aug 2022 09:13 I did this now if it is Win8 or later. I'm not sure about Win7 and I'm sure WinXP would just destroy everything.

I will keep the "Delete Junction..." commands. It looks like they do the same thing as the plain Delete command in modern Windows, but under the hood they use a different method, and this difference might become handy when the next Windows changes the rules again.
Actually from user perspective, I would expect two commands. The first deletes the junction, the second deletes everything. I would expect clear disctinction between them. I think XY should handle this somehow no matter what Windows version I have.

Horst

Post by Horst »

LittleBiG wrote: 18 Aug 2022 09:46
admin wrote: 18 Aug 2022 09:13 I did this now if it is Win8 or later. I'm not sure about Win7 and I'm sure WinXP would just destroy everything.

Actually from user perspective, I would expect two commands. The first deletes the junction, the second deletes everything. I would expect clear disctinction between them. I think XY should handle this somehow no matter what Windows version I have.
There should never ever be a command in XY which deletes the target files of a junction.
Its dangerous and there is no real need for it.
A user can always delete the target files with normal ways.
For me the need for deleting a junction and the target files is almost zero.
This is the experience from working many years in outsourcing of server management.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

highend

Post by highend »

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Please delete the junction, not its referenced content. Give a warning to XP users that it will delete everything but any OS above that: Only delete the junction
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Interesting. If I paste a folder as junction, it won't have the Junction section in the context menu. OneDrive doesn't have either. Other system junctions are ok. Do you have any idea why this could happen?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cannot confirm. :?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Unfortunately it does happen. And I can tell you that it appears only if the system attribute is set as well. (but if I add the system attrib later to that folder, it doesn't help.)
Attachments
2022-08-18_11h19_43.png
2022-08-18_11h19_43.png (11.88 KiB) Viewed 889 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Got it: It is not shown if it is a Mount Point. (I don't know why this decision was made; untypically there is no comment in the code.)

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

admin wrote: 18 Aug 2022 11:29 Got it: It is not shown if it is a Mount Point. (I don't know why this decision was made; untypically there is no comment in the code.)
And is this a mount point? :? Same drive, the junction and the target are in the Documents as well.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I'm sorry to say, but then, when windows deleted a junction together with it's data, *everybody* thought this is an error. Only MS kept it that way, and you said you have to follow (that error), as there may be someone who expects it. (Don't know how much data was lost for that...)
For later Versions MS, having recognized the problem, changed it's habbit.
Now people having to work on an old windows continue to delete their data by mistake - be it using WE or XY. (You said and say: they have a right to!)

Shouldn't you (sometimes) offer better solutions than MS? :evil:

You do recognize when someone deletes a junction - you could, instead of warn him, do what he will do if he understands the warning: delete the junction, as Junction/Delete Junction... does.
I expect even MS *not* to change this habit again!

Sorry: had to say that. :oops:
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PeterH wrote: 18 Aug 2022 12:01 I'm sorry to say, but then, when windows deleted a junction together with it's data, *everybody* thought this is an error. Only MS kept it that way, and you said you have to follow (that error), as there may be someone who expects it. (Don't know how much data was lost for that...)
For later Versions MS, having recognized the problem, changed it's habbit.
Now people having to work on an old windows continue to delete their data by mistake - be it using WE or XY. (You said and say: they have a right to!)

Shouldn't you (sometimes) offer better solutions than MS? :evil:

You do recognize when someone deletes a junction - you could, instead of warn him, do what he will do if he understands the warning: delete the junction, as Junction/Delete Junction... does.
I expect even MS *not* to change this habit again!

Sorry: had to say that. :oops:
Well, I think I did that. When you are now on XP you get a fat warning (see first post of this thread), plus you are offered the "Delete Junction..." command which does what modern Windows does.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LittleBiG wrote: 18 Aug 2022 11:35
admin wrote: 18 Aug 2022 11:29 Got it: It is not shown if it is a Mount Point. (I don't know why this decision was made; untypically there is no comment in the code.)
And is this a mount point? :? Same drive, the junction and the target are in the Documents as well.
What is the target of that junction?