Hover Box and File Info Tips issues

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
undefiler

Hover Box and File Info Tips issues

Post by undefiler »

Has the Hover Box's style changed in 22.50.0200?

In the previous stable build (22.40.0200) there was a thick grey border around image previews. Now images have no border, but they do have a slight drop shadow.

I ask because before upgrading to the latest stable version, I had been experiencing an issue where the Hover Box used to display the filename and dimensions etc at the bottom of the box, but at some point, the only info that would display would be the filename, and eventually, no info was ever displayed, only the image and its thick grey border. Not sure if this was something that I did, but I don't recall making any changes related to such options. The only thing I can think of is that I did zoom the Hover Box images in and out a lot (mostly by mistake), and maybe that triggered some bug? Maybe the lack of a border is a further regression of showing less and less?

In the current stable build, it's not possible to zoom the Hover Box preview any longer. I personally didn't like the default behaviour of simply scrolling when the Hover Box was shown, because it would often interfere with being able to scroll the file list, but it would be nice to zoom when I do want it to happen.

Finally, the File Info Tips cannot be disabled: "Show file info tips" unchecked doesn't stop the tool tips from showing when hovering over a filename. Other sub-options don't have any effect, but I'm guessing this is just a cascading effect of a bug somewhere.

Thanks.

XYplorer 22.50.0200
Windows 11 Pro (21H2 build 22000.348)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Hover Box and File Info Tips issues

Post by admin »

There were some changes here recently including some of the factory defaults. A nice improvement is that you can now press F1 while the Hover Box is showing to get some tips about how to change the properties of the box. This will answer most of your questions.

Concerning the problem of File Info Tips showing although they should not: Yes, I could create a case when they pop up if the Hover Box fails for some reason. I will stop that.

undefiler

Post by undefiler »

Nice tip about F1! I like the options :)

Some things I observed:
  • P: If photo data is toggled on and the status info is set to show the max amount of info, there will be a blank area (bottom padding) if the image actually contains no "photo data". Maybe there's a reason for it being this way, but ideally I think there shouldn't be an empty space; only show the photo data area if photo data exists.
  • I don't know if it's mentioned anywhere, but I think it's new that if you press Alt after showing a File Info Tip / Hover Box, the pop-up remains on-screen (sticky) even once your cursor has left the trigger area.
  • O: Not sure what this is doing as nothing changes and the description "Cycle sort order" doesn't give much more of a clue. Order of what?
  • W: Same with word wrapping, but I assume the text has to be much longer before this takes effect? Or maybe it's supposed to wrap at the width of the image?
  • R: Kind of confusing what all the different states of this option are meant to do. Not sure it's working correctly, but then again, I don't understand its purpose other than being able to zoom the image or scroll the list.
Some suggestions:
  • It would be nice if right side of the status bar gave some feedback, such as "Hover Box photo data [shown|hidden]", when a Hover Box keyboard shortcut is pressed. Actually, it does do this already (for some), but I think it would be nicer if all these shortcuts gave some feedback in the event you changed something accidentally, like I did (hiding the status display completely), you'd at least have a chance to know what you've done.
  • It's probably on a to-do list, but some way to find out that this F1 feature exists would be helpful. Obviously the help file should mention this Hover Box shortcut (couldn't find it), but perhaps something as useful as this shouldn't need to be discovered via reading the help file, i.e. maybe mentioning it in the "Show Hover Box" configuration tooltip would be a good choice.
  • The sticky pop-up when pressing Alt: Could actually be a nice thing for File Info Tips if for example the info tip became text selectable in that state, for highlighting and copying text from it (quickly get an exe version number, composer name, file modified date, etc).
  • Lastly, would it be better for the Numpad Add/Subtract to be a percentage increase rather than by a fixed 10px? Could be more useful due to people's monitor resolutions being different. Though, I can understand if you want to increase your 400x400 preview image to 500x500, 10px increments are nicer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That photo data blank area issue has been fixed some days ago. (I don't mention everything in the change log.)

Concerning questions and suggestions. One at a time, please, and not in the Bugs section. And choose what seems most important to you. I myself have an avalanche of raw ideas every day, I don't need another one. :)

undefiler

Post by undefiler »

Right, I should really test the beta software instead. And, that's a fair point, I'll keep it in mind!