Icon thumbs incorrect (cropped severely)

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Richard_

Icon thumbs incorrect (cropped severely)

Post by Richard_ »

I am using a very old version (21.80.0002) which as part of using was creating thumbs (icons) of size 32x32 for many files (low-resolution) and gradually upgraded to higher resolution files with 32x32 thumbs.

I then allowed XYplorer to create thumbs of size 128x128 for both low-res and hi-res files - everything going to CACHE file on SSD.

I notice that the latest (i.e. of today) thumbs of size 128x128 - even though it shows the "film sprocket holes" of size 128x128 - only displays a heavily cropped image of the hi-res file of size 32x32 in the upper left hand corner of the Film sprocket (i.e. 90% of the image is now black).

So far the low-res files with 128x128 thumbs appear correct.

Attached is the Tools-Configuration setting I used

xyploer.PNG
xyploer.PNG (50.29 KiB) Viewed 845 times

klownboy

Re: Icon thumbs incorrect (cropped severely)

Post by klownboy »

I think you may be confusing XYplorer. :) XY's cache file names are strictly based on the hash of the "folder" and then an Asterisk "*" and "thumbnail size". For example: G:\Travel and Vacations\Scotland 2016\*240x240. To see this look, at the "dbits" thumbnail cache file in Raw view tab in the Info Panel. The actual thumbnails are contained in the "dat2" file with the same base filename.

When you generate thumbnails in different quality settings, its only going to display what it has already generated or at the current quality setting and whether you have "Show cached thumbnails only" checked. So if you make thumbnails in low res (high speed), the cache file "name" will be the same as the the thumbnail cache generated when you have high quality smooth setting. The thumbnail cache dat2 file for that particular folder potentially ends up with different resolution thumbnails.

You can obviously have thumbnails generated in different sizes and switch between them. In this case, the filename based on the hash as explained above will be different (i.e., due to a different thumbnail size) so a different cache file is generated.

Bottom line, XY really isn't set up to be able to display thumbnails for a particular folder at different resolutions. There is only one quality setting in Configuration (i.e., not a setting per folder) and it's assumed all thumbs newly generated will be at that setting.

Make them all high quality. Disk space is cheap. :)
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

@klownboy

You have now confused me more than I was before.

In the early days (a few months ago) I was creating icons of size 16x16 of everything (emphasis was to cram as many details lines as possible on the display for rapid browsing).

When the massive file management was slowing down to a steady pace, I also generated the 32x32 which was easier on the eye (and still kept the 16x16).

Now toward the end of the file management project, I require use of 64x64 but mainly 128x128.

However the 128x128 icons created today are broken (but the few 128x128 made months ago are OK)

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Well sorry for the confusion. As I mentioned having multiple thumbnail sizes for the same folder(s) and files isn't a problem. You can do that, though you only have 3 thumbnail sizes to use. Creating thumbnails with a different "quality" settings is when or why you may end up with issues like you've experienced.

For example, you can set for Configuration to do Low Quality (high speed) thumbnails for a folder like " H:\Picures" and all its sub folders and then go and generate those thumbnails. Later on you change the resolution quality to a higher quality Smooth, but in the meantime you also added more images to that folder. What's going to happen? When you enter that folder, the thumbnails will be created in Smooth for those new images added to that folder. This will happen when Create all thumbnails at once is checked and Show cached thumbnails only is unchecked. So you end up with a cache file with different quality settings. Potential for issues will be high.

Now, if for the same situation above you have "Show cached thumbnails only" checked you would probably be alright since XY is not going to generate new thumbs at the different (recently changed) quality setting.

It all boils down to... you are best to stick with the same quality settings for all your work flow. You can have different folders with different thumbnail sizes or multiple sizes for the same folder, but stick with the same quality setting across the board.

Richard_

Post by Richard_ »

@klownboy

Many thanks for explanation - it is starting to make more sense to me now.

I will firstly restrict myself to only 3 thumbs sizes (16x16, 32x32 and 128x128) as having 4 sizes (and constantly adjusting Size #1, #2 and #3 may be an issue). The 3 thumbs sizes chosen as above will probably suitably suit my needs (now that I have experience of a few months in using XYplorer).

I am prepared to completely "delete" my G:\XYplorer\CACHE\ and start again - not really a problem to do this, although in the early days it did take about an hour to create thumbs and while doing so XYplorer was "sluggish" - but once created cache folder, was "lightning fast" in scrolling around the details pane. The files for the thumbs to be created on and the CACHE folder are on the same G:\ drive which is a SSD internal to the laptop. Storage memory requirements for the CACHE may prohibit me from going to higher resolution (eg 256x256 or so) based on earlier testing because of the (large) number of files involved.

I never "touched" the Quality Setting (until just now) so since starting CACHE from scratch - I will go for the "best" (Smooth ?) and leave it that way "forever".

Just a quick question - I eventually plan to apply CACHE to all my drives and the CACHE only serves that particular drive (so eg C:\XYplorer\CACHE\ G:\XYplorer\CACHE\ S:\XYplorer\CACHE\ etc) - is there a way for XYplorer to automatically work with the relevant CACHE when browsing different drives or do I constantly have to Tools > Configuration > Thumbnails adjustment?

In recreating G:\XYplorer\CACHE\ do I have to do three parses for thumbs (one each for 128x128, 32x32 and 16x16) or is there a way to do all three in one hit?

Apart from changing Size #1, #2, #3 to 128x128, 32x32 and 16x16 respectively and Quality to "Smooth" is there anything else I need to change to my settings as pictured above?

This may not be a "bug" but - when computer wakes up from sleep or loading XYplorer.exe during a computer session, XYplorer is "lightning fast" browsing the details pane - however, whenever the computer is restarted which has to be done many times because of issues with Windows 10x64 Pro Build 2H21 (updated recently), it takes considerable time for XYplorer to become useable, there is a lot of activity on the bottom row status (I think something to do with thumbs).

Finally, I may consider using a later version of XYplorer (infinite license) but it is often a hassle to auto install XYplorer on my RAM drive on computer startup (when working I get the ultimate "experience" in speed) - part of the issue was XYplorer "forgets" about my license key and I have to work out from scratch how to configure XYplorer to my needs (which .ini file and where - to automatically remember this for me whenever changing versions). Any suggestions?

Once again many thanks for your detailed and informative response.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Richard_ wrote: 05 Aug 2021 01:58 I will firstly restrict myself to only 3 thumbs sizes (16x16, 32x32 and 128x128) as having 4 sizes (and constantly adjusting Size #1, #2 and #3 may be an issue). The 3 thumbs sizes chosen as above will probably suitably suit my needs (now that I have experience of a few months in using XYplorer)
Yes, it's probably best to stick with the 3 thumbnail sizes. There are ways around that limitation, but as I explained here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23280, it's probably not worth your effort.
Richard_ wrote: 05 Aug 2021 01:58 Just a quick question - I eventually plan to apply CACHE to all my drives and the CACHE only serves that particular drive (so eg C:\XYplorer\CACHE\ G:\XYplorer\CACHE\ S:\XYplorer\CACHE\ etc) - is there a way for XYplorer to automatically work with the relevant CACHE when browsing different drives or do I constantly have to Tools > Configuration > Thumbnails adjustment?
There's only one specified cache location. So the only way around that limitation would be manually changing the location or a script that would change the thumbnail cache location and then restart XY (i.e., changing the key "CacheDir" in the XYplorer.ini file).
Richard_ wrote: 05 Aug 2021 01:58 In recreating G:\XYplorer\CACHE\ do I have to do three parses for thumbs (one each for 128x128, 32x32 and 16x16) or is there a way to do all three in one hit?
You can only perform one size (the current size) at a time using Refresh Thumbnail on the Main Menu > View > Cache > Refresh thumbnails. Take a look at the Thumbnail Maintenance script here viewtopic.php?p=158571#p158571. Using that you can build/ refresh thumbs in multiple sizes and perform thumbnail builds on all the subfolders as well. There are plenty of other maintenance operations in the script. You should look at the menu options that read and utilize the cache files themselves. It displays individual cache sizes and makes for easy rebuilding and deleting of specific caches.
Richard_ wrote: 05 Aug 2021 01:58 Apart from changing Size #1, #2, #3 to 128x128, 32x32 and 16x16 respectively and Quality to "Smooth" is there anything else I need to change to my settings as pictured above?
Your settings seems fine - many are personal preference (e.g., frame and shadow). I like "Align to bottom".
Richard_ wrote: 05 Aug 2021 01:58 This may not be a "bug" but - when computer wakes up from sleep or loading XYplorer.exe during a computer session, XYplorer is "lightning fast" browsing the details pane - however, whenever the computer is restarted which has to be done many times because of issues with Windows 10x64 Pro Build 2H21 (updated recently), it takes considerable time for XYplorer to become useable, there is a lot of activity on the bottom row status (I think something to do with thumbs).
Seems strange. Have you tried to compare start-ups - start from a drive/ folder with no thumbnails (like the root of C:)? Change your startup in Configuration. I'm still on version 21H1, Build 19043.1110. XY starts in 440 ms. I guess I'll wait a bit longer.
Richard_ wrote: 05 Aug 2021 01:58 Finally, I may consider using a later version of XYplorer (infinite license) but it is often a hassle to auto install XYplorer on my RAM drive on computer startup (when working I get the ultimate "experience" in speed) - part of the issue was XYplorer "forgets" about my license key and I have to work out from scratch how to configure XYplorer to my needs (which .ini file and where - to automatically remember this for me whenever changing versions). Any suggestions?
It's been over 25 years since I've used a ram drive. I assume your normal XY installation is portable? So you're copying the XY folder from a portable hard drive installation at start-up to your ram drive? License info is in XYplorer.ini. You may want to do some specific searches on the forum for license key issues. I do recall seeing some posts concerning ram drives.