Drag Status Box - Tree scroll at warp speed

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
m48tx

Drag Status Box - Tree scroll at warp speed

Post by m48tx »

Drag Status Box checked. Left click to drag file to folder in tree. Move mouse to top or bottom to scroll tree list. List scrolls at warp speed.

Drag Status Box unchecked. List scrolls at normal speed.

Win7 64-bit. XY 18.80.0016

admin
Site Admin

Re: Drag Status Box - Tree scroll at warp speed

Post by admin »

Indeed! :eh: Okay, guess I will fix that *before* releasing 18.90... thanks! :tup:

m48tx

Post by m48tx »

Thank you for an essential application and incredible support!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I actually liked the fast scrolling at least in <=18.80.0000 before the "Drag Status Box" was introduced.
Moving closer to the top/bottom of the tree pane increased speed, as did moving to the left/right with the mouse cursor while dragging.

Now it goes fairly slow and doesn't speed up anymore, which makes going through a long tree take quite a while
even if you don't have to go that far like for instance 1 page up/down takes a while now.

Would it be possible to add an option (even in the ini would be fine) to get the old fast behavior back?

tedy

Post by tedy »

Indeed. With or without the Drag status option, scrolling on dragging is unacceptably slow. Good that I keep archives of old versions/installations. I, personally, care more about issues like this than most of the new features in the last years. As always, I'm sure Don will fix it to behave like before :) .

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I like all the new shiny features and bug fixes :D

To be honest each new version brought for me at least one or more new features that I find handy to have.
Also in the latest version some of the bugs I reported are fixed so I can't really go back to older versions with all the improvements made.

tedy

Post by tedy »

I guess it all depends on usage. I doubt I use more than 5 to 10% of all the functionality but nevertheless, it's still more (and better implemented) than all other similar programs can offer and I tried them all. I recommend XY to everyone I know and don't know, forums etc., in the last 10 years.
About the slow scrolling - this can be avoided if you just scroll the tree to the required position before you start your dragging. Just a workaround.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

tedy wrote:I guess it all depends on usage. I doubt I use more than 5 to 10% of all the functionality but nevertheless, it's still more (and better implemented) than all other similar programs can offer and I tried them all. I recommend XY to everyone I know and don't know, forums etc., in the last 10 years.
About the slow scrolling - this can be avoided if you just scroll the tree to the required position before you start your dragging. Just a workaround.
Yea but I usually have to scroll out of sight of the original folder so that won't really work or I'd have to cut&paste and having to do extra steps is annoying.

Yeah I've only scratched the surface in functionality usage too also partly in that there's so many features 8)
I've tried all kind of filemanagers too but in the end for me also XYplorer was the best one :tup:

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Would it be possible to offer an option in the settings dialog or in the ini to get the old fast scroll behavior back.

The way it is now the scrolling's so slow that I have to stop drop&dropping and first have to scroll the three with the mousewheel which is both annoying as it breaks up the flow of what you're doing and it wastes time.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Next version it will be faster when the Drag Status Box is off.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Would it be possible to make it fast (optional) with the Drag Status Box on since it's really practical.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Check the next version, should be fast enough without tweak.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

admin wrote:Check the next version, should be fast enough without tweak.
I just tried the new beta (v18.90.0106) and the speed's much better now with the "Drag Status Box" enabled.

Like you said it isn't as fast as with the "Drag Status Box" disabled but at least the speed's reasonable now
and horizontal mouse movements speeds it up some more :tup: