Japanese

Where developers, translators, and users meet...
Nardog

Japanese

Post by Nardog »

Just started...

Marco

Re: Japanese

Post by Marco »

I'm sure Don will be über happy to see this thread. He was kind of worried about Japan...
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nardog wrote:Just started...
Yo, wonderful, brilliant, finally! :biggrin: :appl: :cup:

Nardog

Post by Nardog »

The translation is 99.94% done!
Japanese_8.32.lng
(790.83 KiB) Downloaded 1480 times
Only these entries are untranslated:

Code: Select all

co.0403=00|Skip |--|Skip 
 co.0404=00|Over |--|Over 
 co.0405=00|New  |--|New  
How are they used in the interface? Since verbs come at the end of sentences in Japanese, I have to know what comes after these words in order to translate them (the rest could be guessed :wink:).

More importantly, I get these garbled characters, which are seen only in labels, not menu items, buttons, etc.

E.g.

Image (Rename Preview)
Image (Unlock Trial Version)

Re-applying the language file (via "Select Language" or "Back to English" twice) gets rid of SOME of them (and re-starting the program gets them back):

I think this is because these elements have their charset set to ANSI or something instead of Unicode or "default".
Anyway, why this wouldn't happen with Chinese or Korean as well is beyond me (or it does?).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nardog wrote:The translation is 99.94% done!
Japanese_8.32.lng
Only these entries are untranslated:

co.0403=00|Skip |--|Skip 
 co.0404=00|Over |--|Over 
 co.0405=00|New  |--|New  
How are they used in the interface? Since verbs come at the end of sentences in Japanese, I have to know what comes after these words in order to translate them (the rest could be guessed :wink:).

More importantly, I get these garbled characters, which are seen only in labels, not menu items, buttons, etc.
Re-applying the language file (via "Select Language" or "Back to English" twice) gets rid of SOME of them (and re-starting the program gets them back):
I think this is because these elements have their charset set to ANSI or something instead of Unicode or "default".
Anyway, why this wouldn't happen with Chinese or Korean as well is beyond me (or it does?).
1. Wow, that was incredibly fast!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :cup:

2. These are abbreviations for "Skipped", "Overwritten", "Newly Created". They are used in these reports on completed file operations:

All processed files:

Over E:\Test\ZipTest\Test-01.zip -> E:\Test\ZipTest\Folder\New Folder\New.rar\-01\New Folder\New Folder\Test-01.zip
New  E:\Test\ZipTest\Test1-01.zip -> E:\Test\ZipTest\Folder\New Folder\New.rar\-01\New Folder\New Folder\Test1-01.zip
Skip E:\Test\ZipTest\Test2-01.zip -> E:\Test\ZipTest\Folder\New Folder\New.rar\-01\New Folder\New Folder\Test2-01.zip
For good alignment they should be right-padded with blanks to have all the same length.

The same abbreviations are found again here: "<1:#> new, <2:#> over, <3:#> skip"

3. garbled characters in labels
Hm, indeed strange!
That was my first question, too, and I don't have an answer. Is your system set to the Japanese locale? (I think so, else the buttons would be garbled, too.)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is it better with v12.50.0016?

Nardog

Post by Nardog »

admin wrote:1. Wow, that was incredibly fast!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :cup:
Yep, that was hell of a work. :wink:
admin wrote:2. These are abbreviations for "Skipped", "Overwritten", "Newly Created". They are used in these reports on completed file operations:

All processed files:

Over E:\Test\ZipTest\Test-01.zip -> E:\Test\ZipTest\Folder\New Folder\New.rar\-01\New Folder\New Folder\Test-01.zip
New  E:\Test\ZipTest\Test1-01.zip -> E:\Test\ZipTest\Folder\New Folder\New.rar\-01\New Folder\New Folder\Test1-01.zip
Skip E:\Test\ZipTest\Test2-01.zip -> E:\Test\ZipTest\Folder\New Folder\New.rar\-01\New Folder\New Folder\Test2-01.zip
For good alignment they should be right-padded with blanks to have all the same length.

The same abbreviations are found again here: "<1:#> new, <2:#> over, <3:#> skip"
Thanks, I'll reflect your tip in next update.
admin wrote:Is it better with v12.50.0016?
Unfortunately, no. Nothing looks changed except that re-applying the language file will no longer have effect.

Of course I have the system locale set to Japanese, but I don't know if that matters when you have your system, program and installed fonts all support Unicode. And I don't know how the multi language support is processed, but apparently those strings of the labels are somehow interpreted as ANSI at some point (JFYI, I got the same result by saving the language file in Shift_JIS, the default codepage for Japanese on Windows).

How does it look on your computer with the Japanese language file? If you have never received complaints from Chinese or Korean users, it's probably dependent on the language or the environment.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nardog wrote:Of course I have the system locale set to Japanese, but I don't know if that matters when you have your system, program and installed fonts all support Unicode. And I don't know how the multi language support is processed, but apparently those strings of the labels are somehow interpreted as ANSI at some point (JFYI, I got the same result by saving the language file in Shift_JIS, the default codepage for Japanese on Windows).

How does it look on your computer with the Japanese language file? If you have never received complaints from Chinese or Korean users, it's probably dependent on the language or the environment.
Labels do not support unicode and will only work right when the locale is set to the language. But that does not explain why Chinese works and Japanese not. On my system the Japanese labels are either garbled multibyte code or "????..." (all question marks) depending on some internal settings. The next beta will be the all "????..." version for Japanese. Hopefully it looks better on your end.

Nardog

Post by Nardog »

Hmm, the result was same as v12.50.0009: Selecting the language file gets some labels readable, but they become unreadable again when you restart the program. Is it impossible to let labels support Unicode? And even if so, I suppose all labels could be readable because some labels are already readable under the specific condition. :?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Fascinating. I now turned my Virtualbox Win7 to Japanese locale and see what you see. Logic + experimenting will eventually solve the mystery. And maybe even the bigger mystery: Why does Chinese/Korean work and Japanese does not? Back to the laboratory... (well, and to the weekend :mrgreen: ).

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Thanks Nardog for the Japanese translation!

Don, lol, it seems that Japanese characters always had some issues with XYplorer program. I don't remember how many times I report about it not handling Japanese characters very well yet Korean and Chinese characters works well haha.

There is one good thing I can report though is that before you attempted any fix there was another problem:
1. Load Japanese
2. "Back to English"

When you do the steps above, the "Find" dialog did not revert back to English correctly. It looks like this:
127.jpg
127.jpg (109.98 KiB) Viewed 31205 times
You see how there are those weird characters that should have properly converted back to English but did not. However with the most recent beta, that got fixed! Now you can enjoy trying to figure out the other problem haha.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I think I got it now! 8) At least in my virtual japanese sandbox it all looks good now. Wait for v12.50.0019 ...

BTW, there is a known problem with the Japanese codepage (932) where backslash and Yen symbol (¥) clash. Fix: This happens only with certain fonts, e.g. with Verdana. With Segoe UI the problem is fixed! :D

Your "Back to English" issue: if you use a beta version this is normal because MLS is out of sync with the current structure of the app. We will get back into sync soon.

Nardog

Post by Nardog »

It worked! Everything looks fine on my system too. Congratulations, now I have no doubt XYplorer will earn great popularity in Japan. :appl:

Borut

Post by Borut »

Nardog wrote:[...] now I have no doubt XYplorer will earn great popularity in Japan. :appl:
Hmm. It will still have no help in Japanese. I think that some little page in Japanese, under XYplorer domain, would help bring it on the radars. Maybe then some review in Japanese, somewhere in the Japan media, could bring some potential users to try it out.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nardog wrote:It worked! Everything looks fine on my system too. Congratulations, now I have no doubt XYplorer will earn great popularity in Japan. :appl:
Yeah! :biggrin:

BTW, I did not find out why the other East-Asian languages apparently work without this fix. :?

And thanks again for your incredibly fast translation!