ITT suggestions

Where developers, translators, and users meet...
SkyFrontier

Re: ITT suggestions

Post by SkyFrontier »

As my phase 1 of translation is done, I leave these suggestions that may be of benefit to the future generations of translators.
All were collected during actual translation and some would be of extreme help, then.

>> selectable text on both previews regardless type of control it applies to;

>> sync scroll (vertical, horizontal) for the 3 (2 previews + edit) fields;

>> at least one User Button with left/right click support, with CKS-ability for each;

>> mode: live filter applies to original only, translated only or both;

>> select from X down to Y lines and ctrl+click for individual additions, then filter by selected;

>> copy both original+translated with <crlf 2> as separator;

>> smart detection to jump to the next 'yet to be translated' item, as well as an easier way to resume job after a small live filter session (longer: easier switch back to non-filtered view, putting last active string visible on top, focus on edit translation box. The worst part being to click on the scrolling button just to focus next item to translate);

>> a ruler (vertical/horizontal) and quotes marking the beginning/end of original/translated items;

>> visual hint if newly jumped, current string is already translated, if last one was a non-translated;

>> ITT layout: edit in the middle, original on bottom, transl. preview on top;

>> close-able tooltip if 'itens to translate' exceeds X chars or view port;

>> user defined list of selection delimiters for dbl-click;

>> items counter for the 'to translate' section, specially when filtered;

>> basic search and replace (global and per item);

>> basic 'jump to custom external editor' (not sys default's);

>> auto-save: ITT crashed twice on me. Sometimes I realized I had been on heavy work for almost 3 hours in a row and not a single save done that far. I would be mad if I'd lost all this time;

>> red box to distinguish currently selected item to translate;

>> more accuracy for translation preview right into ITT concerning fitness. I'd swear it was already there based off some restraints I've seen during the task, but actual loading into main app, specially configuration window, proved I was wrong.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well... :)

I cannot crash the ITT. let me know how you do it.

Concerning the wishes I'd like to hear some other translators as well. We must think globally know. :)

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Please revise the upgrade logic from 7.x to 8.x.
Even some little hacks are not allowing it, so as it is v7 will not get v8 fixes *ever*.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

admin wrote:Well... :)

I cannot crash the ITT. let me know how you do it.

Concerning the wishes I'd like to hear some other translators as well. We must think globally know. :)
A Chinese saying I know:
"a good translator doesn't speak. A good translator only translate."

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:Please revise the upgrade logic from 7.x to 8.x.
Even some little hacks are not allowing it, so as it is v7 will not get v8 fixes *ever*.
- In XY menu Help Select reference.lng (8.x) as language file.
- Open ITT
- Select your 7.x in ITT (File / Select Language File)
- Upgrade to 8.x, and Save.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

- Select your 7.x in ITT (File / Select Language File) >> 'upgrade' stops grayed, that's the problem.
Tried everything but upgrading to the latest beta (IF succeeds would be cheating without solving the problem, I think).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:- Select your 7.x in ITT (File / Select Language File) >> 'upgrade' stops grayed, that's the problem.
Tried everything but upgrading to the latest beta (IF succeeds would be cheating without solving the problem, I think).
Cannot reproduce. :veryconfused:

fenixproductions

Post by fenixproductions »

Another few suggestions:

1. filter translation strings according to their types (i.e. tooltip, message, …):
- Tooltips have no width constraints so they can take more words.
- Keyboards shortcuts descriptions may use different grammar forms than menus.

2. function to replace three dots (...) with ellipsis (…) in translated strings:
- It is always 1 character instead of 3.
- Three dots are used by uninformed or mistaken people - proper character to indicate more details (or new window activation) should be ellipsis.

3. filtering by typing message ID (i.e. co.0011) and copying message ID to notes panel:
- It is hard to track strings with pixel limits by line number because this one changes sometimes.

4. make notes panel wider or give the possibility to manually resize ITT window:
- It is harder to track written control path when it wraps,

5. maybe give the possibility to built text tree and share it:
- If I see some text in GUI I can always type it in filter box and check one from few same strings BUT it is hard t to it other way around.
- Maybe give possibility to build control paths TXT file and share with other users?

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

As I said (and was afraid about), working with v11.80.0005 solved the problem completely.
It IS about logic, Donald. There's something about version numbering that must be revised.
If you want to try to sort it out, try it with v7 to v8, plus v11.80.0004.

Later today I may have some spare time and do some investigations on this as I suspect it will continue to happen and will annoy some people.

>anyone please can try to confirm it..?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:As I said (and was afraid about), working with v11.80.0005 solved the problem completely.
It IS about logic, Donald. There's something about version numbering that must be revised.
If you want to try to sort it out, try it with v7 to v8, plus v11.80.0004.

Later today I may have some spare time and do some investigations on this as I suspect it will continue to happen and will annoy some people.

>anyone please can try to confirm it..?
I decided to have "Upgrade..." always enabled so this problem should be history now.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

fenixproductions wrote: 2. function to replace three dots (...) with ellipsis (…) in translated strings:
- It is always 1 character instead of 3.
- Three dots are used by uninformed or mistaken people - proper character to indicate more details (or new window activation) should be ellipsis.
Interesting. Most of my software on XP (incl Explorer) seems to use 3 dots, Firefox uses both (even in one menu!).

I don't think I can do this function because the position of ellipsis (…) is likely to change with the locale/codepage. Here it is 133.

Your other wishes. Yeah, thanks, I'm collecting ideas like this.

fenixproductions

Post by fenixproductions »

@admin
Reason is simple: it is easier to put three dots instead of remembering ellipsis codes/shortcuts.

You can observe similar issues with quotation marks (everyone uses " incorrectly instead of proper ones) or minus signs used instead ndash or mdash.
Well, I am also contributing to such problem when I try to describe menu paths on forum boards (-> is easier to type than →).

…but 'easier' does not mean 'correct' and this is grammar nazi talk ;)

As for suggestions:
instead of hardcoded ellipsis replacements implement basic Search&replace for translated strings?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

fenixproductions wrote:instead of hardcoded ellipsis replacements implement basic Search&replace for translated strings?
Good idea.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

When doing some revision and ensuring consistency, it would be useful if ITT could remove all accelerators, on both original and translation.

I'm successfully using it (ITT) as a base to double check translation on other XY related stuff; in case, the Features Summary published here: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8799, which soon I'll upload.

Most missed feature:
>> at least one User Button with left/right click support, with CKS-ability for each.
(the other ones would ease the process for 3rd party translators, I'm certain - each time I revise the list, I'd like more to have them implemented in the first run)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:When doing some revision and ensuring consistency, it would be useful if ITT could remove all accelerators, on both original and translation.

I'm successfully using it (ITT) as a base to double check translation on other XY related stuff; in case, the Features Summary published here: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8799, which soon I'll upload.

Most missed feature:
>> at least one User Button with left/right click support, with CKS-ability for each.
(the other ones would ease the process for 3rd party translators, I'm certain - each time I revise the list, I'd like more to have them implemented in the first run)
I don't understand: removing accelerators from original? this destroys the reference data.

User Button: What for?