Standard Microsoft Terminology... TBX

Where developers, translators, and users meet...
FluxTorpedoe

Re: Standard Microsoft Terminology... TBX

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

Hi'
Yep, I really think these MS' TBXs you found are a gold mine for this kind of work! :)

Obviously, I didn't mention it before, but if anyone wants to change the script, go ahead of course! :D
And if you need a different formatting, don't hesitate to ask! Though Don seems to be up to something... 8)

Best of luck to you all,
Flux

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

@borut
Just a quick note to say:
- I haven't uploaded the Hrvatski TBXY since you're already taking care of the translation :wink:
- the v1.2 update added the ability to import from html/xml but didn't change the content, so your file is already up to date.

Good luck with your translation,
Flux

Borut

Post by Borut »

Hi FluxTorpedoe and Don,

I am currently preparing a massive informational message that should support the future translators (if any show up) interested in South Slavic languages. This will include references to a language name coding standard and MS sources, as well as TBX files, style guides files and TBXY files.

Therefore I haven't downloaded this last XYplorer version yet, but am following your work closely. I am doing it step-by-step, since I want to test it all before I post anything. It is only then that I will continue translation work, I guess.

Thanks to both of you for your efforts!! I am flabbergasted.
Borut
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Borut wrote:
admin wrote:
1. Ability to parse a .TBX (=XML) into a list of source-target pairs...
Forget it. :)
:) I expected it. Well, das Leben ist hart und grausam. :(
admin wrote:
2. A "Notes area" in .lng file format, which would be supported through a "notes pad" in the ITT - so one could easily keep his/her notes while translating and have them always handy (in my case some translation term pairs). Actually, this could also be a third - translator defined - term pairs list.
Good idea. But must it be in the LNG file? Why not simply an ITT.txt file the read and written by ITT?
Yes, that would also be an option. However, my reasoning behind proposing it as a part of the .lng was: A translation will be - let us face it - a never ending story. It is to be expected that several translators will keep a translation up to date. Also, decision about some terms being or not being translated is sometimes even a political one, not only a linguistic one. When such translation pares - as notes - along with, for instance, links to supportive literature sources or the like would be a part of the .lng file, then they are readily available to who ever continues to update an already existing translation.
I still think an independent ITT.txt would be better:
1. The notes might be personal in a way you won't like to share with the public
2. The notes would increae the length of *.lng which affects XY's startup time and memory usage.

BTW, is anybody apart from Borut interested in a Sticky Notes section within the ITT?

Borut

Post by Borut »

admin wrote:I still think an independent ITT.txt would be better:
OK, I agree. Notes can be published separately, if needed. A lot will depend on the "infrastructure" you are going to provide on your page, or in the forum, I guess.
Win 10 Pro 64bit