Multilingual Support

Where developers, translators, and users meet...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Multilingual Support

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:Actually I just opened a new forum on Multilingual Support:
http://xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewforum.php?f=12
Maybe not finished setup yet? Got a "Not authorized to read" when attempting to view it.
OH. Better now?
Yes -- as is obvious given that others have posted there.

BTW, I'm hoping that your implementation will NOT generate extra files that I don't want on install...I detest any appl that even when I say "English" on install, goes ahead and creates a folder with dozens of language files that I have to locate and then delete every time I update the appl.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Karl M

Post by Karl M »

j_c_hallgren wrote:... when I say "English" on install, goes ahead and creates a folder with dozens of language files that I have to locate and then delete every time I update the appl.
Yes, every programmer does that. :evil:

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Karl M wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:... when I say "English" on install, goes ahead and creates a folder with dozens of language files that I have to locate and then delete every time I update the appl.
And what's worse? When install creates dozens of folders with 1 or 2 TINY files in each one! ARGHHH! :naughty:
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

tux.

Post by tux. »

Why not just keep them?

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Karl M wrote:
Well not completely true, a good installer has check boxes for languages, so user can choose what language to install. And while updating user should be given the choice to add/remove languages.
All this ofcourse does not matter with no-install archive.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I will make them downloadable (of course).

I have to check whether the installer allows for language decisions. It's still a long way till we are at that point...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Status quo: It is 10 times harder than I thought, but I'm 20 times faster than I thought. I still hope to get it done this year. Ciao, Don

Marco

Post by Marco »

Don,
do you plan to make translated strings also scripting-accesible?
Something like <locstr #1234>?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:Don,
do you plan to make translated strings also scripting-accesible?
Something like <locstr #1234>?
Maybe later.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Status quo: Making extremely good progress. Unexpectedly fast. Expect a first version of a LNG reference file and a new BETA this week! :biggrin:

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Status quo: Making extremely good progress. Unexpectedly fast. Expect a first version of a LNG reference file and a new BETA this week! :biggrin:
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Cheers,
Filehero

DmFedorov

Post by DmFedorov »

Good news. :appl: How many lines are expected in lng file?
I can send you the list of lines for version 11.70.0100.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

DmFedorov wrote:Good news. :appl: How many lines are expected in lng file?
I can send you the list of lines for version 11.70.0100.
Don't know yet, but probably tomorrow. :)

After about 1 month in the localization jungle I can see what incredible work you did, DmFedorov! It's completely beyond my imagination how you were able to convert the app into Russian without access to the source code. I'm on my knees!

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:It's completely beyond my imagination how you were able to convert the app into Russian without access to the source code. I'm on my knees!
Resource hacking? Can't think of any other way - which indeed put this achievement in the context of celebrating the 1. FCK got the triple. :mrgreen:

Awesome!

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Think of the grammatical complications (and Russian has a very rich and complex morphology), e.g. a message like this:
"You have initiated a <move;copy;delete;rename;backup;custom copy;custom move;unknown> of <2:#> <2:item;~s><$mode>.\n\n<$sourcelabel>\t<$source>\nTarget:\t<$target>\n\nClick Yes to continue, or No to abort."
(Also a little appetizer here for the translators -- but relax, 99% of the stuff is much easier.)