Multilingual Support

Where developers, translators, and users meet...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Multilingual Support

Post by admin »

- not necessarily :)
- oh! gonna check
- no: leave them as they are

congrats! :beer:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

To all translators:

Now with 18 languages, even collecting all the language files from the forum and uploading them in the right format to the right place takes a couple of minutes off my coding time. Of course, this is nothing compared to the time you need for the translation work, but just to let you know: The best way for me (= the least work for me) is when you post the language files like it is done here:

http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 65#p103565

I.e., a new post at the end of the thread, and in LNG format with the MLS version number appended to the filename (e.g. ChineseSimplified_8.46.lng).

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

admin wrote:- not necessarily :)
- oh! gonna check
- no: leave them as they are

congrats! :beer:
Thanks!
admin wrote:To all translators: ... ...
Will do.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

ITT->Tools->Open Language file: should open lng with notepad (or possibly PFA assigned to txt) instead of looking for system association. Who bothers with sys-assoc. for lng files? (no offense)
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hm, I think you are right. But I will make it PFA assigned to *.LNG.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

admin wrote:Hm, I think you are right. But I will make it PFA assigned to *.LNG.
Bump, in any case.

People (users and translators!), what do you prefer and/or do:
-translate everything and create a virtual hell for support or
-keep terms like "Paper Folder" and "Tree Path Tracing" as they are and generate some trouble to few end users who are not familiar with English expressions?
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:
admin wrote:Hm, I think you are right. But I will make it PFA assigned to *.LNG.
Bump, in any case
Has been added 20140501.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Latest beta, fresh install doesn't work as expected, then.
.lng still asks for system association when clicked and PFA is not showing LNG attached to notepad.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, I misunderstood. No. this is not supported.

Borut

Post by Borut »

SkyFrontier wrote:People (users and translators!), what do you prefer and/or do:
-keep terms like "Paper Folder" and "Tree Path Tracing" as they are and generate some trouble to few end users who are not familiar with English expressions?
I believe that this is language and translator dependent. Some translators insist on preventing the foreign influences and supporting the authenticity (or whatever) of the target language. Although I am in principle not one of those - but that is a broad topic - I apparently tend to translate these things.

In order to provide a balance, it would in my view be helpful for some users when Don would provide a list of selected terms somewhere in the program (maybe even on a dedicated configuration page), in which English originals and currently selected target language translations could be seen side by side.

This would provide a kind of a link between "whatever an eager translator meant" and the English original, which is used in the English program help.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Thanks for the input, Borut.
I'm trying to provoke a discussion so we, translators, build a standard on our own, relieving Don from the process. Until I reach a mutual conclusion, I decided to not change anything on my side (i.e, there won't be a "100% translated version" until that decision happens).

Anselma

Post by Anselma »

SkyFrontier wrote:
People (users and translators!), what do you prefer and/or do:
In most cases I belong to the first group but every once in a while, as a translator I find myself "trapped" in difficult situations that require me to look for discretions. English sure is a flexible language that people can easily derive new terms in it, unfortunately that is not the case with Indonesian. It will be clumsy if I translate English names like "notebook" or "wallpaper" literally to some words consisting "buku" or "kertas and "dinding" in Indonesian since they are not, so usually I take their synonym if any, such as "laptop" and "desktop background", and translate them based on these alternative terms.

Now what if if I am yet able to find a synonym for particular term, as with the so-called "Paper Folder"? Where does this term originate from, anyway? :veryconfused:
I guess at this moment I'd better stick with the source term. Actually there is a regulation in Indonesian that can rule out this problem against foreign terms, namely to italicize its writing but it is not supported. I heard such approach has also been taken in a few other languages. Hence, I am hoping Don can implement formatting option for italic in XYplorer's ITT. And who knows? May be this could lead us to mutual conclusion for terms tough to deal with?

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Yes, Anselma, I know precisely the feeling you're describing here. I am concerned about my non-eglish speakers comrades but I stumble upon those practical issues.
:!: :!: Perhaps we could resort to a common area in XY interface (under HELP, near the Translation section) where those items could be listed & live-filtered, listing the remaining "english-only" terms as well as their translated correspondences or
:!: Don could provide a secondary, visionary way to pop translations on mouse hover for those specific items where they happen.

Anyway, I see we translators should post a list of those stranded remainders in a proper thread in this forum. I made some attempts to list them but now I see that a common place would be the best way to go.
;)

tux.

Post by tux. »

SkyFrontier wrote:People (users and translators!), what do you prefer and/or do:
I'd choose the support hell..
As a user I want to understand the options an application provides me. When there is a German translation pack, I don't expect features to be taken as "names" not to be translated or explained.

Flora_RMC

Post by Flora_RMC »

From the beginning I decided to translate as much as possible, because I had in mind a target of english-illiterate users. Granted, nowdays there is a wider understanding of the basic level of the English language, but I don't think a 'partial' translation would be of any help, even if the user is capable of understanding some words. In fact, we have to consider that those specific terms we are referring to, here, are especially meaningful in XY's context, but it's difficult to grasp their function if they are left as lone english terms amidst hundred of words in another language... :veryconfused:
And since a good (literal) translation is often difficult or impossible - just like Anselma said - I tried to find a good compromise between the original wording and the real function of the specific term. Case in point, Paper folder. Literally translated in Italian, it wouldn't have had any real sense (and it sounds quite ridiculous), so I had to find a word descriptive of its function.

I realize it's not the best solution if someone needs to find something in the Help or Forum, but as I said before, I'm thinking of users unable to understand english, so they would need to use Google Translate anyway...