Translation issues

Where developers, translators, and users meet...
krzysiu

Translation issues

Post by krzysiu »

Hello! I'm not a professional translator, but that's what I do when I have some free time. Translations I fixed or made includes FileZilla, Notepad++, Piwigo, OpenWith Firefox plugin and many others. I'm Polish speaker and I consider my language level as more that usual, rather professional level. Polish language level, because English - well, you see by yourself :) That's why I only translate from EN to PL. I prefer to fix translations than to make a new ones. And that's what XYPlorer needs. E.g. for "space" as space taken by file which is translated to Polish "space bar" or "press" which is translated to archaic word which have roots in the word "strangle" ;) There are many straight grammar errors (but overall I usually work with much worse translations).

Please, if you'd want my help, could you answer following questions?
  • I think that current translator still maintains it. So... what to do if I want to fix it? I don't know who would be able to allow me to fix translation. You or translator? I want to avoid conflicts - both version conflicts, like in Git and conflicts with current translator (I don't want to do anything against him, yet this translation is simply wrong)
  • I don't have up-to-date full XYPlorer. I have free version and version from some giveaway offer - "fixed license pro". I'm jobless right now and sadly I can't afford XYPlorer. XYP is very important to me, I have it very customized, scripted etc. If I could fix it, I would have to install new version (trial? That's because my pro version can't be updated) and I'm afraid it could mess something with my current license. If it would, can I count on you to get it back?
  • Would it be possible to have a license for current version for the time of translating (which would be just for a few days, let's say 3 - i.e. time I need for translation)? For this and for the last point - I don't need current version, but I don't want to translate something without checking it later
  • Didn't you think about some better translation system which would fix conflict issues and it would be real multiuser? Yet I know, all hosted services costs a lot for platform for translating proprietary software and self hosted tools are either basic (oTranCe) or needs separate server and rather difficult configuration (and then maintaining it). Yet even simple GitHub repository would fix some problems and it's ok to keep such files there
I want to say that I don't want to take over the translation. Well, I would want someday, but I don't want to take somebody's job without allowance and for rather longer time I won't be able to have up-to-date XYP (as as translator I have flawless reputation and I don't want to screw it by translating without checking my work). I understand that changing all wrong terms at once can be bad, as users would be lost.

For now my dream would be fixing obvious, non-controversial errors. And why I want to help so much? Because You, dear author, helped me a lot by providing platform which I can customize for maaany uses - right now I'm sorting my photos :) I don't feel that I need to return favor, but I want! :)

bdeshi

Re: Translation issues

Post by bdeshi »

Thank you for your support and dedication! :D :beer:
I think that current translator still maintains it. So... what to do if I want to fix it?
You should contact (private message) the current translator, Karol aka fenixproductions
I would have to install new version [...] and I'm afraid it could mess something with my current license.
Worried about messing up you setup? Just download and extract the PORTABLE edition to a separate folder, it will not touch anything outside of that folder.
Would it be possible to have a license for current version for the time of translating
The trial version is fully functional without any kind of restrictions for 30 days, including unrestricted access to translation features. You can use that.
Didn't you think about some better translation system which would fix conflict issues and it would be real multiuser?
The translation files are stored as plain text *.lng files, you can use Git with it to do versioning, comparison, merges.

You, dear author, helped me a lot by providing platform which I can customize for maaany uses - right now I'm sorting my photos :) I don't feel that I need to return favor, but I want! :)
:appl: :tup: :tup:
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]