Sandboxie

What other productivity software are you working with...

Sandboxie

Post by 40k »

Sandboxie is essential software. It runs a system level driver that intercepts selected programs access to your hard disk. By sandboxing a program you spoof the software into thinking it is making changes to your disk and registry, while in reality it is reading and writing from an isolated folder and registry hive.

Sandboxie also allows you to sandbox a folder. Meaning any program that tries to write to that folder, for example a torrent program, is actually diverted to an isolated location on your disk. Any malicious software that may try to run from that folder is also automatically isolated.

http://www.sandboxie.com/
I develop scripts that integrate media functionality into Xyplorer.
Hash - Twitch.tv in VLC (NEW 2.0!) - FFmpeg GUI - Youtube downloading
XYplorer for Linux! Tutorial

Nighted

Re: Sandboxie

Post by Nighted »

Essential.

I have a Sandbox tab in XY. Sandboxie/branch view. Can't live without it.
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Aaargh! Just found out that Sandboxie no longer offers a lifetime license. Although I understand the reasoning to move towards annual subscription, I found the new license to be extremely harsh.

Previously:
Lifetime License
Install On All Computers

Now:
1 Year License. After Expiration, Sandboxie Reverts Back to Free Mode.
Install Only On 1 Computer

The pricing however remains the same at 15 Euro. I think this is a horrible way of doing this since if you have 3 computers (work, desktop, laptop), you're looking at 45 Euro yearly and if you don't pay any of them, you don't get to use it AT ALL once it expired. It would be better if tzuk still allows you to use the last version that is within your yearly license term. Like you bought a license on April 1st, 2012 so it expires in 1 year. On March 30th 2013, version 2 came out. Your license then expires on April 1st, 2013. However, since version 2 is still before April 1st of 2013, you can now use that version forever but can't update to newer version. The new license instead decides that once your license expires, you can't use ANY version at all. :(

Post by 40k »

Enternal wrote:Aaargh! Just found out that Sandboxie no longer offers a lifetime license. Although I understand the reasoning to move towards annual subscription, I found the new license to be extremely harsh.

Previously:
Lifetime License
Install On All Computers

Now:
1 Year License. After Expiration, Sandboxie Reverts Back to Free Mode.
Install Only On 1 Computer

The pricing however remains the same at 15 Euro. I think this is a horrible way of doing this since if you have 3 computers (work, desktop, laptop), you're looking at 45 Euro yearly and if you don't pay any of them, you don't get to use it AT ALL once it expired. It would be better if tzuk still allows you to use the last version that is within your yearly license term. Like you bought a license on April 1st, 2012 so it expires in 1 year. On March 30th 2013, version 2 came out. Your license then expires on April 1st, 2013. However, since version 2 is still before April 1st of 2013, you can now use that version forever but can't update to newer version. The new license instead decides that once your license expires, you can't use ANY version at all. :(
You know I sort of understand the switch. I have to say I've been on the good side when this happened to two of my favorite products (XY and Sandboxie). Life is expensive for everybody though. Having a subscriber model allows a developer to more clearly gauge a regular income depending on the amount of licenses they have on subscription. Or at least this gives a bit more financial planning ability compared to just selling lifetime licenses.

On the other side, subscription models can be a pain in the ass for the consumer. Mainly because it makes you dependent on the developer. If they decide to move the product into a direction you don't like, when your subscription runs out, you lose the product you initially bought.
I develop scripts that integrate media functionality into Xyplorer.
Hash - Twitch.tv in VLC (NEW 2.0!) - FFmpeg GUI - Youtube downloading
XYplorer for Linux! Tutorial

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

Enternal wrote:The new license instead decides that once your license expires, you can't use ANY version at all. :(
My understanding is that after expiration it reverts to a free version (so you start getting nags and there are a few features that become disabled).

I agree that it's not a licensing arrangement I'd be happy about, but it's a bit better than becoming completely unusable. It would seem much more reasonable to me to not allow updates after the 1 year term expires instead of dropping to free version functionality. Anyway, those opinions are really part of a discussion more suited the Sandboxie forum where it's all been hashed out already, I'm sure.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

40k wrote:You know I sort of understand the switch. I have to say I've been on the good side when this happened to two of my favorite products (XY and Sandboxie). Life is expensive for everybody though. Having a subscriber model allows a developer to more clearly gauge a regular income depending on the amount of licenses they have on subscription. Or at least this gives a bit more financial planning ability compared to just selling lifetime licenses.

On the other side, subscription models can be a pain in the ass for the consumer. Mainly because it makes you dependent on the developer. If they decide to move the product into a direction you don't like, when your subscription runs out, you lose the product you initially bought.
It's just that Don was a lot different in how he dealt with it. Don gave users a warning that he will discontinued the lifetime license in 2013 so it gives the users who frequent the forum some time to think as well as pushing users who were on the fence about it to get it or not. If they did not, it's their fault. tzuk on the other hand abruptly changed the licensing without any clear words and any users who were against it, got somewhat of a beating from users who already had a lifetime license. Plus, Don's license was still nicer to users when compared to the change tzuk did. Not only was it a subscription but it was not only limited to 1 computer so it became a lot harsher. Even Directory Opus whose license is not exactly the best but it was still very reasonable, you pay for major updates and you still own the version that you had until your license expired.
mwb1100 wrote:My understanding is that after expiration it reverts to a free version (so you start getting nags and there are a few features that become disabled).

I agree that it's not a licensing arrangement I'd be happy about, but it's a bit better than becoming completely unusable. It would seem much more reasonable to me to not allow updates after the 1 year term expires instead of dropping to free version functionality. Anyway, those opinions are really part of a discussion more suited the Sandboxie forum where it's all been hashed out already, I'm sure.
Yes it does revert back to free but that's what I was complaining about. So you don't get to keep the version that you bought or updated to before it expired. Instead of buying the software, you're not renting it and for 1 computer for each license. The change was drastic and sudden.

I know quite a few software that later discontinued the lifetime license but the way tzuk handle it and his new license, is not really favorable. And yes, this is already all hashed out in the Sandboxie forum but since there was a thread here, I just wanted to post the update about it.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Apparently Sandboxie has been acquired by Invincea (TM, R etc etc) for consolidating into their enterprise level security suites.
Wonder what it means for the licenses of SBIE;
more importantly, what it holds in store for the future development of the app ... as we know it, becasue the dev, Tzuk, is leaving has left the project :( forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=97094#p97094
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

tux.

Post by tux. »

I vaguely remember having seen another "transparent" virtualization tool being bought by Symantec and disappearing shortly after. Sucks.

sinilill

Post by sinilill »

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

That link is not letting me purchase anything. It all seems properly entered, but it keeps telling me "your cart is empty". I emailed the author. Hopefully they'll get back to me. I'm purchasing it sight unseen based on these comments and a few reviews I've read.
Last edited by aliteralmind on 20 Dec 2014 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

aliteralmind wrote:That link is not letting me purchase anything.
I believe that link was unintentionally left around from an older offer - looks like the vendor has cleaned it up.

However, I think that historically Sandboxie has had end-of-year promotions (but I might be confusing with other end of year promos) so if you're interested in it it might be a good idea to monitor the Sandboxie website and forums for a few weeks to see if anything pops up.

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

Meh.

I hope, because it seems like a pretty obvious security measure, now that I understand what it does. Why doesn't Windows do this by default?
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

aliteralmind wrote:Meh.

I hope, because it seems like a pretty obvious security measure, now that I understand what it does. Why doesn't Windows do this by default?
No way. Windows doing this by default would be a bad idea. I don't think there is any OS that does this at all because things can get very messy fast and can be a usability problem from users. Sandboxes should just be left to antivirus software and web facing software like browsers and such I think (which Chrome does).

aliteralmind

Post by aliteralmind »

I meant the *ability* to sandbox should be baked into Windows.
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

aliteralmind wrote:I meant the *ability* to sandbox should be baked into Windows.
Oh I see. Hmm... I don't know. That does sound like a good idea but then again, Microsoft is not the best when it comes to focus so I don't know how long they will keep working on it. Unless the feature becomes super popular... Hard to know really haha.